Kenwood 5220BT and IPOD

Discussion in 'ICE, Sat Navs & Dash Cams Forum' started by the_big_1, Jan 29, 2009.

1. the_big_1

the_big_1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi all,

I have just fitted the IPOD cable, KCA-IP300V to my Kenwood 5220BT. The thumb nails are all blured. Also, is it possible to play videos from the Ipod as its not in the ipod lists.

2. dpluxor

dpluxor
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, I have noticed the poor quality low res album art pics myself, I would also like that answering. As far as the video goes, it depends on your ipod model. None of the new ones will play video as Apple decided to encrypt it and the only way to get it down a cable is to use Apples own AV cable that has a chip in it to descramble to picture. Old ones do work tho'.

I have a Ipod Touch and Kenwood told me that its video would never work on the KVT series (maybe it will be supported under licence on next years model line up). They said dont bother with IP300 as it will be a waste of money, told me just to get IP200.

If you have an older ipod, you need to click the little right hand arrow until you get a bar that says VIDEO & MUSIC. Click VIDEO, then the list lineup will be all your videos

3. V_J

V_J

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    The poor quality of the thumbnails most likely has to do with internal scaling.
    Suppose the thumbnail is 100x100 pixels (hypothetical), but is displayed at 80x80 (hypothetical), it needs to be scaled down. Depending on the scaling algorithm used, this can introduce artefacts. Dunno why, but it doesn't seem that noticable to me.

Jörg

4. dpluxor

dpluxor
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Its when you compare them to Mp3 files on a USB stick that it becomes really noticeable. Off the stick they are spot on, on the Ipod the same files album art is really blocky, as if the resolution was something like 16x16 :eek:

5. the_big_1

the_big_1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I got the video working, didnt see the video select button at the bottom of the screen.
    The thumbnail issue sounds like a kenwood design issue then

6. V_J

V_J

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I wouldn't say that: on other forums, people with Pioneer Avic-F devices also seem to complain about it...