Kenwood 5050 problem

mhouston

Standard Member
Reaction score
Okay, my receiver is a Kenwood KRF-V5050D. I know it's not the best amp in the world but unfortunately it's all I could afford a couple of years ago as a student, and the money situation at the moment doesn't allow an upgrade.

So my problem is that the remote control seems a bit temperamental (sp?). When the amp is first switched on the remote works fine but after a few minutes (10-20?) it stops responding to it. It's definately not the batteries in the remote so I assume it is to do with the amp heating up?

The only strange thing is that if the amp is left on for long enough the remote starts working again at random times.
Has anyone experienced anything similar or got any suggestions for what could be wrong.

Cheers for any help anyone can give me...I know it's not a major problem but is really annoying and sounds like something I might be able to fix.

I had a kenwood 5030d and the same thing happened to me.I took mine to r.sounds where i got it from ,and they fixed it and said that the solder from the infred senser had came away and was just touching ,so that`s why it was sometimes working. they resolder it and had no trouble after had .
Sorry don`t where the part is inside the amp, could be beside the main display area .Have i look, but be carefully .

Hello Ewin, I have the same problem. Not batteries or anything like that - been there! At first I thought the batteries were being discharged by other remotes stacked on it during the night.
Was the fault in the rmote or the reciever?

thanks

Julie

Sorry forgot I'd posted this...cheers ewin...will venture inside the amp in the near future and post back my results

Hi there,

Just browsing and came across this thread. I have the Kenwood 5050 amp and have had similar problems with the remote.

Bought mine from Currys just over two years ago and the remote stopped working 2 days after the 12 month warranty ran out.

Took it back to Currys with the begging bowl out and they ordered me a new remote. This took two weeks to arrive and when I put the new batteries in it didn't work either.

Have been without remote ever since. Is there a quick fix? I can't be bothered to get it repaired, may as well upgrade rather than pay the repair costs. Pity because I have always thought that the sound is pretty good.

I would be interested to know.

Cheers

Paul

I think it is time to dust off the old soldering iron, lift the lid and see what happens. Will let you know on Monday

I'm going in to have a look at my receiver over the weeekend...i have the same symptom on mine...Anyone got a spare remote control for one of these??I'm using a universal remote,and it hasn't all the functions!!!

seems like a common problem the 5050 we used to use has the same problem think i will have a go at fixing it.

amazing the info you can find on these forums

Excuse me for jumping in but while I've got so many people with 5050's in one place has anyone successfully used optical in from sky hd / sky+ with this amp. I cannot get it to recognise input at all and I know optical feed is ok as I've tested it with an another amp. I've also tried and optical to coaxial convertor to no avail, but coax from DVD works fine. Any tips appreciated:confused:

have you changed the settings in the sky menu?

i have not tried my self sorry

sky box set to output over optical and tried setting output to both DD and Stereo but 5050 won't recognise it on digital manual or auto. Starting to think optical input is kaput but not worth/possible to get repaired. Either that or 5050 doesn't like Rupert Murdoch !

Hi

Did any of you folks got any luck in getting the remote working again?

Jurrie

Well i solved it! It was a problem with the remote sensor inside the 5050. The solding of the sensor showed some cracks. I got this form another site (see: http://home.comcast.net/~jcoxdesigns/Kenwood/index.html). This solution worked for me. I added two pictures with the location of the solding-pins of the remote sensor on the 5050. For additional info take a look at hte site I mentioned above.

Jurrie

Attachments

• V5050D_loc_sensorpins_1.jpg
    V5050D_loc_sensorpins_1.jpg
    175.5 KB · Views: 1,345
  • V5050D_loc_sensorpins_2.jpg
    V5050D_loc_sensorpins_2.jpg
    161.7 KB · Views: 1,087
Well i solved it! It was a problem with the remote sensor inside the 5050. The solding of the sensor showed some cracks. I got this form another site (see: http://home.comcast.net/~jcoxdesigns/Kenwood/index.html). This solution worked for me. I added two pictures with the location of the solding-pins of the remote sensor on the 5050. For additional info take a look at hte site I mentioned above.

Jurrie

I have the exact same problem: remote works intermittently or not at all. Although not on a Kenwood but a Yamaha amp. Looks to be a common fault then. I had also narrowed it down to the solder on the sensor pins.

But I'm no way a technical expert and am not sure of my ability to fix this. What did you do to fix yours? Just a drop of new solder on the old, or did you have to remove the old solder, or what?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom