Kenu Airframe+ review

donka

Prominent Member
Reaction score
The Airframe from Kenu was a simple phone holder designed to work in cars by attaching to dashboard vents. This updated model designated by the + adds support for larger smartphones including the iPhone 6 and 6 plus while still working with smaller models.
The Airframe comes in minimal packaging which is designed to be eco friendly - it is a simple cardboard box with user instructions printed on the rear.
This is essentially a spring loaded clamp that extends to support smartphones with screens up to 6" as well holding oversized cases such as battery pack cases. The Airframe+ is manufactured from a robust plastic with rubber lining to grip the device securely. The spring loaded mechanism is metal and inspires confidence as it is easy to operate but has a very firm hold on your phone. I was unable to shake my phone free from the Airframe+ and would be very happy to trust my smartphone in this holder.
The Airframe+ is secured in place using a rotating clip that attaches to any vent type e.g. horizontal, vertical or angled. Soft, over–moulded grips keep the Airframe+ in place as well as protecting your car from scratches. These rubber grips are easy to use and also ensure the Airframe+ is stable in the car and doesn't suffer from any of the wobble you get from cheaper vent holders. The rotating clip also means it is easy to switch your phone between portrait or landscape orientation.
The Airframe+ seems relatively pricy for what it is but it is very well made and very secure and stable when in place. I'm a firm believer in you get what you pay for and think the Airframe+ typifies this - do you want to risk your expensive smartphone with a cheaper holder?

Video review:

Attachments

• Kenu Airframe+ review1.jpg
    Kenu Airframe+ review1.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 59
  • Kenu Airframe+ review2.jpg
    Kenu Airframe+ review2.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 39
Had the original Airframe with my 5s worked really well. Just got the air frame+ for my 6 plus and works a treat, highly recommended

What's to stop the frame with the weight of the phone from coming out the vent

It's really cleverly designed and well made I guess. The four prongs are covered in a grippy sort of rubber and give a really secure feel when fitted.

The other major point is that fitted to a vent on the dashboard below the bottom of the windscreen is probably the safest place to have a satnav. There's some evidence on the net about things being stuck to the windscreen inside the sweep of the wipers (i.e. field of vision) that can be an MOT fail or worse if you're involved in an accident.

Yip, the rubberised prongs are very secure when in place. I'm confident there isn't much that will dislodge it when fitted correctly.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom