Kenko teleconverter- waste of money or ok?

Clownfish

I have the telepro 300 1.4x (which is supposed to be superior to the MC7) and I do use it on occasions. Having done some (rough) tests it comes out slightly better than cropping but nothing to get excited about.
Mine only transmits EXIF (does not adjust). Not that that bother me. JFYI.

jomike

It depends what lens you are going to put the teleconverter on. All teleconverters degrade the image, and a 2X will degrade it more than a 1.4X. For a 2X coverter to work well, you need a f2.8 lens and for a 1.4X you need a f4 lens. Both will work with slower lenses, but you will probably lose AF, and the image will degrade.

I have just recently recieved a Kenko 1.4 Telepro DG, mainly for use on my Nikon 300 f4. So far it looks good, it retains AF and the IQ looks good. It turns the 300mm f4 into a 430mm f5.6.

Darthchaffinch

Thanks Mike, would be used on a 70-300 (G) and a 55-200 AFS VR (nikons), both 5.6. Will be using it on a tripod pretty much only so might be ok? (Seen one for £25)

jomike

Thanks Mike, would be used on a 70-300 (G) and a 55-200 AFS VR (nikons), both 5.6. Will be using it on a tripod pretty much only so might be ok? (Seen one for £25)

I definitely would not go for a 2X with these lenses. A 1.4X might be OK, but get the Telepro DG(X) version, not the cheaper one, that one is supposed to be equal to the Nikon TC in IQ, but not in build quality, and fits all lenses. The results you get may or may not be better than cropping a non TC shot with the 55-200. I wouldn't bother with the 70-300G and a TC.

Darthchaffinch

I definitely would not go for a 2X with these lenses. A 1.4X might be OK, but get the Telepro DG(X) version, not the cheaper one, that one is supposed to be equal to the Nikon TC in IQ, but not in build quality, and fits all lenses. The results you get may or may not be better than cropping a non TC shot with the 55-200. I wouldn't bother with the 70-300G and a TC.

many thanks Mike! Would the 55-200 be preferable because of the quality of glass?

shotokan101

Banned
For £25 I'd buy it and try it TBH - not risking much and can always sell it on....

Jim

shotokan101

Banned

shotokan101

Banned
you really are one of the most helpful souls on the interweb Jim. If we ever meet, I owe you a pint. Thank you sir. :)

EDIT: it doesn't mention G nikon lenses?

I try - in fact some folk apparently find me really trying" ;)

RE: G - lens compatibility - seem to be a few posts around with folk using the Kenco on G lenses... only warnings seem to be about using the Nikon TC... but perhaps a Nikonite can be a bit more authoratative on this one....

Jim

Pirate!!

Banned
Hi, are kenko (N-AF D, 2x, MC7) teleconverters any good? Reviews appear inconclusive from a little research.

Thanks.
A 2x TC will lose 2 stops of light, thus the AF will be slow and you'll either have to over-expose or have excellent lighting, but not knowing your system, I don't know if AF is retained with a lens over f/4, so even with an f/4, you'll end up with an f/8.

I would suggest you look at the latest Kenko Teleplus Pro 1.4x DGX TC's as they record the EXIF accounting for the TC being fitted and are apparently excellent.

As the saying goes . . garbage in - garbage out.

shotokan101

Banned
I try - in fact some folk apparently find me really trying" ;)

RE: G - lens compatibility - seem to be a few posts around with folk using the Kenco on G lenses... only warnings seem to be about using the Nikon TC... but perhaps a Nikonite can be a bit more authoratative on this one....

Jim

Intro 2020

JIm

The latest video from AVForums

Are the TCL MiniLED TVs better than OLED? TCL Interview with Marek Maciejewski | AVForums Podcast
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom