Ken Kutaragi Out at Sony

Discussion in 'Playstation Forums' started by yinujim, Apr 26, 2007.

1. yinujim

yinujim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    http://www.scei.co.jp/corporate/release/pdf/070426e.pdf

2. winstano

winstano

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +213
    :O That's a bit of a shock!! Ken Kutaragi *IS* Mr Playstation....

3. emporer

emporer
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,626
    He is being forced to go as someone has to take the heat for the poor showing of the ps3 so far, Sony expected to blow everyone out of the water with the ps3 and put alot at stake but it hasn't been anywhere near as successful as they wanted. I think they took too much for granted and that people will buy a ps3 because its a playstation, also they didnt forsee the very strong stance by MS and Ninty with the Wii.

Doesn't suprise me that he's going really.

4. Crafty

Crafty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +668
    The fastest selling european console is a bad show is it ? hardly.

I reckon this was a long term plan, the guy is 57, not short of a bob or two, he doesnt *need* to work anymore.

5. Moogle

Moogle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,398
    Pretty much hit it on the nail. :thumbsup:

6. jayd

jayd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,554
    :boring:

This is actualy good news for Sony. Ken has turned into a bumbling, useless obstacle. Hopefully the PS3 can now recover after it's awful start and push on with someone who knows what they are doing at the helm.

7. HSC

HSC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +202

and that man is NOT Kaz...!

8. Moogle

Moogle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,398
    That doesn't mean anything. Overall worldwide so far it has fallen way below Sony's expectations as well as everyone elses and in typical Japanese tradition the person in charge has been asked to leave. It's not the first time it's happened in a Japanese company and it won't be the last. For Kutaragi it's a matter of saving face.

9. FunkyMonkey

FunkyMonkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    THis is the guy that delievered the "best" (i.e. most imagination-capturing) console of its generation with each of the 3 Playstations, so I doubt if it's a forced demotion. It's one of those where there's "mutual benefit" in the decision. That's all I want to say.

10. dino2021

dino2021

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +138
    being 50% (3million) undertarget wont do a lot for ones job prospects

one only has to look at http://www.vgchartz.com to check end user sales

Still there is no denying the 2 previous models sold/sell in amazing amounts. I cant help but feel if they had stuck with dvd with this generation they would again of wiped the floor with everyone as it would be a load cheaper.

11. PhilNUK

PhilNUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    plus Sony Studio's in Liverpool and London are sacking of 100 employees from development teams due to dev problems.....

beginning to wish I held off from buying my PS3 :thumbsdow

12. Moogle

Moogle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,398
    It's SCEE in general who are getting rid of a number of employees. They blame it not meeting targets and having to cut costs as a result. That fits's pretty much into this news about Kutaragi and the most likely reason he is leaving. It's because of pressure from Sony due to the poor performance of the PS3. There is no other reason for it. It's typical of the way Japanese companies operate. They are not in the habit of outright sacking people rather tactfully getting rid of them. Someone has to be responsible for the PS3 situation and Kutaragi is the most likely choice.

13. reddevil63

reddevil63

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +851
    Not wrong there, should know as I work for Honda.

Out of the blue he steps down, not long after the PS3 launch in Europe!

Very fishy.

14. Tony Hoyle

Tony Hoyle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +231
    Interesting way of working but I'm not sure what it solves... the ps3 is the result of many teams working together not just him. IMO The (non) advertising team need to be sacked. Or rather sacked, then shot. Then boiled in oil.

15. RobDickinson

RobDickinson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +748
    He was the man at the top, he made some pretty crucial decisions, put out some pretty awfull press too.

The PS3 was his vision and its failing. It may have a 'record launch' in Europe but that was 6 (or 12 or 18) months late and sales have died eevrywhere since.

He'd have been ok if the console could either be sold cheaper sooner or was catching the competition but its not.

16. Tony Hoyle

Tony Hoyle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +231
    I'd hardly say it's failing. It's far from doing as well as it should (for many reasons.. price is probably a minor point here because Sony always launch expensive and reduce the price later) but Sony is only 4-5 months in to a 10 year sales plan. It's nothing that can't be fixed.

Can Kaz Hirai make the difference? Time will tell. You can bet there's some heated debating going on at Sony right now though.

17. RobDickinson

RobDickinson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +748
    They sold 10,000 last week in Japan against 2,500 360's and 75,000 (supply constrained) Wii's.

Thats in their strongest (% wise) market for the PS3, the only one there not in 3rd place.

Can you imagine the xbox 1 selling 25% of the PS2 in Japan? No.

That aint in any 10 year sales plan from sony. There behind the competition, started late, more expensive, and loosing ground.

With a product there already subsidising more than the opposition. If it wasnt for the cash cow PS2 they'd be in serious trouble IMO.

18. Mark Botwright

Mark Botwright
    Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,341
    It's always sad when a man capable of such vision "steps down", but in the long run no one stays at the top forever. Personally i've felt some of his comments regarding Microsoft and Nintendo to have been odd to say the least. It's probably best for Sony in the long run to start looking at the market from a fresh perspective. It's come a long way since the PS1.

19. Tony Hoyle

Tony Hoyle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +231
    All Sony's plans are long term... they've never said anything different. Plus Sony recently made a substantial profit (much larger than they expected even - 400 billion yen vs. 200 billion PS3 launch cost) - they get it all back on games/accessories.

There's no denying wii has been the surprise success - releasing a rebadged gamecube with a stupid name didn't sound like a winning move but it is... and they've change the market permanently by doing it.

Price isn't the issue - they dropped the price in japan and look where it got them. Analyists can debate for hours on why (lack of japanes games, but then the wii hasn't exactly got many of them either... lack of advertising, etc.) but truly only Sony know what to fix. We could have (another) debate on why here but it woudn't change a damned thing. They didn't get to be a company that size without knowing how to fix their own mess.

20. bishman

bishman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +174
    You are absolutely right Dino. I can absolutely see the benefits of having the capacity of blu-ray for storage but I can't see the commercial sense.

Can there be even one person that doubts Sony would have an insurmountable lead, had they released in November '05 with a DVD drive and a price at the same level as the 360? There is no way that Microsoft would have be anywhere near Sony's sales had this been the case.

I'm not at all surprised that Ken has gone.

21. Tony Hoyle

Tony Hoyle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +231
    There's also no way I and many others would have bought one if it only had a DVD player.

Bluray is its major advantage over the competition - they just need to push it more. The high end gaming market needs something special to get people to part with their cash - otherwise you might as well get a wii.

22. RobDickinson

RobDickinson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +748
    its being (unsuccessful) rammed down peoples throats already.

In what way is it a major advantage in a console game and how are they not pushing it?

Its obvious the BR drive made the unit late and expensive, and Game devs are struggling to get good titles out the door even with the delayed launch.

A console with potential but no games is a useless brick, an expensive useless brick.

Even then I cant beleive the cash rich gadget loving Japanese arnt buying it when its the cheapest PS3 in the world.

23. Mark Botwright

Mark Botwright
    Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,341
    Perhaps a little sterotypical?

24. bishman

bishman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +174
    I agree with that, I bought mine primarily as a blu-ray player. Then again I buy all the consoles anyway, so my purchases are moot. If it didn't have blu-ray I'd have just bought a standalone.

The high end gaming market has always been about bigger and better and that's why people part with their cash. They want the newest thing. Are you seriously suggesting that the PS brand would not have been superior had they launched at the same time and price as MS, with DVD instead of blu-ray? The masses would have bought it in droves.

Oh, I got a Wii too. :smashin:

25. RobDickinson

RobDickinson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +748
    Are you saying its not true? Japan gets a stack more tech than the rest of the world & typicaly has the disposable income to buy it. Its also Sony's home market, and the PS3 is substantialy cheaper than elsewhere.

And they still cant shift them. I guess there isnt a killer game in Japan on the PS3 yet? (Motorstorm & R:FoM I guess dont do it).

26. Tony Hoyle

Tony Hoyle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +231
    If they'd released this spec without bluray then you'd have had two nearly identical machines fighting for the same space. Then you factor in the MS marketing machine (which is probably the most effective - and ruthless - marketing machine in the world). The US would have bought MS and Japan would have bought Playstation and who knows what Europe would have done.. and we'd be in pretty much the same position, just without the wii factor.

So I don't think it would have changed a lot, no.

27. Tony Hoyle

Tony Hoyle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +231
    Those aren't JP killer games, those are US centric ones.

The Japanese love their anime, puzzle games and RPGs. There's a list here but no release dates.

FFXIII will shift a shedload of PS3s just for that game probably - it's the japanese killer game.

Apparently according to some japanese posts there's currently no reason to buy a ps3 due to no games actually being out. Somebody at Sony needs to be shot if so - even Europe managed 2 decent games at launch.

28. RobDickinson

RobDickinson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +748
    FFXIII is not a PS3 exclusive tho, why did they launch a console with no Japanese games?

I know its not easy to code for, but this is the playstation brand, and its 2 years after it should have launched, where is the software...

29. Mark Botwright

Mark Botwright
    Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,341
    I'm not saying your statement doesn't have a basis in some cultural facts. But remember that a large portion of Japan doesn't get the high wages of city workers. Like people thinking everyone from England is posh and lives in London, a huge wathe of Japanese society comes from the poorer lower eschelons that were traditionally agricultural workers.

30. RobDickinson

RobDickinson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +748
    Yet they afforded 75,000 Wii's , even though theres little enough software on that too, although some more Japanese focused titles I understand.