Ken Kreisel Quattro Q125, TriFX, DXD-12012 - personal review

No more gloss??? :eek:

For anyone who's curious, the free 'kidgloves' that come with the speakers are tiny. I didn't even bother trying to put them on... I do have big hands - fully proportionate, I'm ashamed to say :D - but still thought they were a bit of a needless extra. Tbh, Lsound should ask for them to be left out, and just offer one proper pair for a full order - I got three boxes and three pairs...

Oh, now I get you! :laugh: I thought the 'kiddy' sized gloves were a nice touch, although they were a tad small and tight for my hands as well. Actually went though a few pairs as I was setting my system up because they would tear lol

Thanks for the comments, Ricky. Glad you like the stands, it sounds like a positive endorsement, enough for me to consider getting a (B-stock!!) pair in the future...

As have been mentioned before, those stands are now discontinued. Hopefully KK will indeed produce new ones for the up-coming versions. You looking to invest in KK again?

As for my MX5000s... I only once really pushed them hard, when playing the subway train crash scene in Skyfall, and I cracked long before the subs would have done. I had two because I just got lucky and got to buy them as a pair... One is enough, but I do like pairing subs just for stereo listening and aesthetic symmetry. And... awesome bass powah!!! Really, how many excuses do you need for multiple subs? :D :D :D

Sounds awesome! I have been tempted to go duo, let's just put it that way, but as I'm also an apartment dweller I have neighbours to consider. Well... I sort of consider them anyway lol

@ricky What brand/type are your AV stands again, think I read it somewhere but can't find it!
Thanks..

I was thoroughly impressed with what I heard when I had my Quattro set, so yes for AV use I'm absolutely planning to buy another set in the future - probably a 9.2 setup eventually, plus Atmos speakers too (if KK Sound ever produce any...). The compact size is a winner all by itself, and I like the design of the subs aesthetically too (bored to tears with cube-shaped subs). Absolutely gutted that I won't be able to get the high-gloss finish any more though, that's a big downer :( Likewise the stands. I might have to do some serious horsetrading...

I'd also like a stereo pair with stands and 808s for subs, which I'd like to hook up to a HK 990 amp and HD 990 CDP in a separate hifi system (ie separate room...). All of which is dreaming, because funds and space simply cannot accomodate, and there's also the WAF to deal with.. (in my case, it's about zero-minus :( ). Probably not before we move to somewhere bigger... so 2016 or 2017 timeframe with (very) good luck.

I've always been lucky about making noise - all my neighbours have been either very tolerant and understanding, stone deaf or simply noisy bastids themselves (in which case, they got no mercy from me...). Vehemently determined my next house will be detached, or at least have an AV room far removed from the nearest party wall.

I was thoroughly impressed with what I heard when I had my Quattro set, so yes for AV use I'm absolutely planning to buy another set in the future - probably a 9.2 setup eventually, plus Atmos speakers too (if KK Sound ever produce any...). The compact size is a winner all by itself, and I like the design of the subs aesthetically too (bored to tears with cube-shaped subs). Absolutely gutted that I won't be able to get the high-gloss finish any more though, that's a big downer :( Likewise the stands. I might have to do some serious horsetrading...

Sounds exciting! I think I've heard several reports (from Ken himself also) that they will have dedicated Atmos/DTS:X ceiling speakers soon (whatever 'soon' implies) so I'm sure you'll be all set. Not that I understand what would stop anyone from using some of the current Quattro models as such (TriFx or maybe QFH?), but since I'm not interested in 3D sound (yet) I haven't investigated further.

Too bad about the gloss being replaced by something else (satin? wood finishes?) but hey, at least be glad you won't have to put up with glare, dust and fingerprints like I do! haha

I'd also like a stereo pair with stands and 808s for subs, which I'd like to hook up to a HK 990 amp and HD 990 CDP in a separate hifi system (ie separate room...). All of which is dreaming, because funds and space simply cannot accomodate, and there's also the WAF to deal with.. (in my case, it's about zero-minus :( ). Probably not before we move to somewhere bigger... so 2016 or 2017 timeframe with (very) good luck.

OY! What a dream! A dedicated movie room and a dedicated music room! You sure you wanna have the same speakers for your music though? There are soooo many amazing stereo speakers out there 'dedicated' to pure music reproduction. Not saying a pair of Q125's with DXD-808's can't deliver a great music experience though, of course...

I've always been lucky about making noise - all my neighbours have been either very tolerant and understanding, stone deaf or simply noisy bastids themselves (in which case, they got no mercy from me...). Vehemently determined my next house will be detached, or at least have an AV room far removed from the nearest party wall.

You lucky bastard! :laugh: lol Keeping fingers crossed that your next livingspace is indeed detached! (do the same for me, please?!)

Heh, well, the Q125/808 speaker system would have all the properties I'd be looking for in a good hifi, most importantly huge dynamics and massive, effortless bass. The HK990 does 300Ws into 4ohms with +/-100A of peak current available, has active x-overs for two subs plus room EQ and a DAC section that slaves the HD990 CDP to it. Technologically perfect!

That said, I do agree there are many exciting options for hifi speakers, and I'll be exploring more of them in the future. I'd certainly add a pair of LS50s and some Eclipse Ls to the above... And then there's my real passion - classic Japanese hifi. There's no end of choices and enjoyment to be had, but I like to start with the rational for a modern hifi and HK/KK absolutely float my boat, logically speaking :)

Oh, and the reason for the separate listening room is more to do with the AV room also being the family room - wife, kids and dogs everywhere, TV on, etc... a disaster for involved listening! In the short term, if I get a hifi together before we move, my 'dedicated listening room' will be the kids' bedroom, with my equipment squeezed between the cots. I'm not joking...

Anybody here who owns Q-125's ever own M&K speakers? I currently have (5) M&K S-5000's and was thinking of getting some Q-125's as possible replacements or to intergrate with them. Anybody done any comparisons between the two? Any thoughts on how the Q-125 would stack up with the S-5000's?
Thanks

Anybody here who owns Q-125's ever own M&K speakers? I currently have (5) M&K S-5000's and was thinking of getting some Q-125's as possible replacements or to intergrate with them. Anybody done any comparisons between the two? Any thoughts on how the Q-125 would stack up with the S-5000's?
Thanks

KK speakers work well with M&K's. I have some KK QFH in tripole mode running alongside my M&K's. Your S5000's might be old but they're still a bit special. They're also super rare over here in the UK so finding someone who has done a direct comparison with Q-125's will be tricky.

I've owned the S5000's but not any Q-125's. The only person I know that has owned them both (albeit at different times) is @30CenturyMan

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom