Kelvin's Guitar/drums stuff and JV Squier refurbishment thread.

The only issue with that method is syncing it all afterwards. Coming from an analogue tape it may drift over the 3-4 minutes of the playback. If all done together any slight pitch change/time drift wouldn't be noticeable. I can definitely record 2 tracks at a time into Cubase (ie a vocal and guitar) as opposed to a stereo pair (though that is an option of course).

I need to spend a bit of time just trying it out as I bought the Alesis iO4 rather than the iO2 for the 4 tracks at once option (restricted to 44.1Khz/16 bit rather than 48Khz/24 bit when recording two tracks at once).

Spent a couple of hours praticing drums in the conservatory tonight...don't know if it was just because I was a bit tired or the cold, but I wasn't playing very well at all compared to Saturday. :( Sometimes the music just doesn't flow, hope to be better tomorrow night at the college.

We did ZZ Top tonight; Gimme all your lovin' and as usual, was harder than it seems at first. Got the hang of the rhythm/riff part, but hadn't really looked at the solo beforehand, so just noodled around when it was my turn to play on the stage. I'll have to have a bit of a Youtube this week and learn the solos properly...At least I've got the drumming part off pat. Best of all I got to play the white Tele this week, third time lucky, though I should really take the Epi LP next week as that's more suitable for the song.

Only 4 weeks to our end of term/Christmas concert for friends and family. :eek:

So, New year, new term and all that. I think I said in another thread that I was dropping the local college guitar/drums evening classes as they want to pay the whole term up front and I know I'll miss quite a few lessons this terms as I'll be away during the week (no refunds @ £20 a week makes it a bit wasteful I think). Plus they limited it to drums or guitar, so that means I'll get to play a lot less than last term while each 'group' plays.

So some of us decided to book the local studio we rehearsed for the Christmas gig at. We can all make Friday nights and we get a whole 3 hours compared to about half that at college and it's only £40 or so between 4-5 of use, so works out cheaper too. They have half stacks, an acoustic drum kit, plus a small PA so we have access to better gear than the college had too. :)

So first night tomorrow with the 'Friday night gang'. We don't have a singer, so I picked up a boom mic stand so I can warble and drum at the same time to help us keep time. It takes a bit of concentration, but once I've got the hang of the drum part the 'singing' sort of comes naturally (with the odd gap on fiddly bits of drumming :D). I don't know how much guitar I'll be doing there, but we plan to spend the last hour each week playing songs we've learnt previously to keep them polished up (well a sort of dull satin sheen really :blush:), so I'll be able to swap over with another guy who does a bit of drumming.

Strange, this time last year I was just starting at the college and had hardly played my guitar at all in the previous year (and no drum kit of course back then). I wonder if this time next year I'll be rehearsing for some big gig/have played a few gigs/selling it all off as I've given up with it all...

I'm going to try to continue with both, but it's a constant battle trying to find time to practice both and oddly it's easier for me to practice drums as I go out into the conservatory (with a jumper on this time of year) and play out there. I can tell my guitar playing has slipped though already. You'd think after 40 years it wouldn't but if I don't play every day then my fingers soon slow down...

We don't have a singer, so I picked up a boom mic stand so I can warble and drum at the same time to help us keep time. It takes a bit of concentration, but once I've got the hang of the drum part the 'singing' sort of comes naturally (with the odd gap on fiddly bits of drumming :D)
A lot of respect for anyone who can play drums and sing at the same time, singing & playing guitar is difficult enough! Not a big Mastodon fan but I like their single 'The Motherload', surprised at the amount of negative comments about the drummers live singing.

Sounds fine to me, don't think some people realise how much exertion is needed playing drums, let alone singing as well. My attempt would be a lot of heavy breathing between beats:laugh:.

I'm going to try to continue with both, but it's a constant battle trying to find time to practice both and oddly it's easier for me to practice drums as I go out into the conservatory (with a jumper on this time of year) and play out there. I can tell my guitar playing has slipped though already. You'd think after 40 years it wouldn't but if I don't play every day then my fingers soon slow down...

Had a head cold before christmas which triggered a bout of tinnitus, sounded like had a seashell stuck to my right ear:D. Didn't pick up my guitar for a good month, longest gap in about 4 years. Fingers felt like stone when I started playing again but my enthusiasm for playing has been renewed. I find jamming along to your favourite blu/dvd concert a good way of getting back up to speed:smashin:.

Got home early today, so had a little practice signing and drumming to tonight's song 'How you remind me'. We'll see how it goes tonight though as it probably sounded like someone singing along to an iPod :eek: (other Mp3 players are available ;)), since I wear closed back headphones to hear my drums/backing music. It's only a 'guide' vocal anyway, just to give the rest an indication on where we are in the song.

I tend to play along with my concert discs as well. In fact it's not unheard of for me to get the guitar out after we've watched a film and I put a bit of a concert on (usually after a few drinks too, so maybe it sounds better than it really is :D). Up to last year I regularly went for a month or more between playing, but since I got back into it last year it feels odd not playing at least every other day. I hope I'll loosen up quickly once I get chance for a play again tonight.

Thought I'd bump my own thread rather than start a fresh one or interrupt anyone else's thread...

I'd like to do a bit more recording using my trusty ZIP drive Boss 8 track, but the problem I have is mastering and ending up with a stereo wav/mp3 file. I did buy an Alesis iO4 earlier this year, but find the DAW software is very fiddly to use and basically it puts me off using it and therefore from recording as it totally messes with the creative flow. :(

I'm thinking to buy something like a £99 Tascam DP-006 then just use it to record the stereo output of my existing 8 track, then I would be able to get my music onto an SD card in wav form. Having looked at the Tascam manual it looks much more straightforward to export from the device to a PC. Might seem a bit wasteful, but it would also be useful to use the multitrack part if the old Boss ZIP drive starts playing up in future.

Of course it's then easy to get sucked into something like a Tascam DP-32 SD @ around £375 and just get used to recording directly on that (it does the mastering/export thing too). I could still use it initially to get my old recordings off my Boss 8 track (and my even older Fostex X15 4 track), but I'm just concerned that I'll end up with a massive learning curve (instead of just getting on playing and recording).

What does everyone else use? I'm more comfortable using the equivalent of tape; I used to just produce a 'master' by recording the output of my old X15 into a stereo cassette recorder. The nearest thing to that would be good.

The Tascam DP-006 looks pretty cool really not a bad price for what it does. A few of the guys use the Zoom R8 and really rate it, but more expensive but it has more features.

I picked up a used Boss BR80 for around the same price as the Tascam and it's tiny and perfect for what I need. It gets a little fiddly for significant editing work due to the size but it's 8 track and crams a decent stereo mic and a Boss multifx based on the Boss GT10. Means I can take it on holiday or shove it in my bag for rehearsals. It's a great practice tool too as it has slowdown feature so I use it to store all my backing tracks on.

Boss MICRO BR BR-80 Digital Recorder B-Stock

I called into Dawsons yesterday and had a chat with their multi-track guru. It seems that all the options they sell would do what I suggest, so any would be a simple way to get my existing tracks off my ageing ZIP drive 8 track. You can then either remove the SD card from the recorder and put it directly into a laptop to burn to CD/rip to MP3, or use the USB connection and utility in the recorder to transfer the stereo mix down track. Certainly seems a bit more straightforward than my existing DAW method.

However, as the ZIP drive is a known failure issue with my current 8 track, the reality is that I will have to replace it at some point. Therefore I think I might just wait a little longer and save up for a model that would be more of an upgrade than a straight/lesser replacement. Otherwise I could just end up buying twice in the long run.

The Tascam DP-32SD is looking favourite at the moment, especially as I'd be able to transfer all four tracks at once off my much older Fostex X15 for posterity. I would tend to use it like a tape recorder, so the editing features would be a bit wasted on me, but the excess of channels(!) means I'd have plenty of options for overdubs/extra takes (even I can pull down a fader on a channel and push it up on another if there is a better take/part on a different track :)).

Still haven't done anything about the 8 track, I should have called into Andertons on Thursday as I went past the end of their road, but I wanted to get home before the traffic built up.

I have set up a stripped down version of my TD30 kit, just the snare, bass drum and high hat. At least it means I can have a play and it's surprising how only having the three 'instruments' makes you more inventive with the playing.

Back to guitars I had a play with my Line 6 the other night and focused on the Fender amp settings to try to get a feel for whether I'd like a 'real' Deluxe Reverb. I managed to get some decent clean tones out of it, but not as rich as a real Fender (Twin, but it was many years ago and perhaps rose tinted glasses). The distortion tones still sound a bit 'fake' (apart from the real OTT ones such a Solendo (spelling?) setting that is pure filth, but you can't hear what I'm playing.

Then I saw that 10 year old kid on TFIFriday playing his LP through a little Marshall 1974X amp...looked great, not too big and it would fit in the living room in place of the Line 6. Then I checked the price. :eek:

So I went back to a DIY site I've looked on and found their version of the classic 18 watt Marshall in a kit (I'm an electronics engineer) for £260. They have a guy who makes beautiful cabinets and heads, so I could chose any colour I like (probably just the standard black though I reckon). The cabs are around £220 or so, which means around £500 plus whatever speaker I go for.

Considering I was thinking of buying the Marshall 1974X cabinet (speaker) only version from Andertons (then maybe a pair of heads to use with it) and that is about £500 anyway, then I think the DIY version might be a good option.

Nothing stopping me from adding a Fender style head later for an alternate clean sound into the same speaker (I'll just add an extra jack socket to plug into the internal speaker and to disconnect it from the build in 18 watt amp).

This is the DIY page for the 18 watt Plexi:

Amp Maker: Guitar amp kits and parts :: Guitar amp kits :: P1800 plexi amp

This is the page for the cabinet:

Classic combo (SE-5a, PP-18, SL-18, PP-36)

Not sure what speaker would be most suitable, but Thomann have Celestion G12M 'Greenbacks' for £90 which is a pretty common speaker and 25 watts, so should suit the 18 watts 'Plexi' output if I did crank it right up. Same speakers as fitted to the 'Bluesbreaker' reissue combo too. :)

Of course it could all change by tomorrow, but it might be the answer to my 50th birthday treat. :)

Last edited:
Haha, two finds in one night...

I wasn't looking for another guitar (honestly, you've seen my posts about just getting on with playing and practice more), but I came across this advert for a Gibson LP Melody Maker that has P90s (the only pickup combo I don't have) and a slick pared down look with no pick guard. Unfortunately I don't think I could get one now (suspect the advert is a teaser to get you to call) and the nearest new version is the 2016 60s Tribute, but I don't like the cream plastic bits (and it's 50% more expensive too).

If anyone comes across a shop with one in (or a good used one), please let me know,particularly the charcoal colour:

Gibson LP Melody Maker 2014 Charcoal Gray Satin - Rich Tone Music

Cool, wish I could build an amp...heck wish I could just repair one as my JCM is not well.

You could always pick up a Marshall MG or a Valvestate and replace the electronics. I've bought both for under 75 quid in decent condition, a 30w you could probably get for under 50 but 10" speaker.

Well worth playing a real deluxe, my line 6 is nothing like the real thing. The Fender X2 doesn't do a bad job though.

Yes I will have to try the real thing, just to make sure. If I went the self build route then there is nothing stopping me adding a DIY Deluxe style head to plug into the speaker of the 'Plexi' amp either. I did think about a 'gutted' secondhand amp, but TBH whatever new amp I get is going to be in my living room, so I don't mind paying a little extra for a really nice cabinet.

If I play a real Deluxe and find that it's really what I'm after in terms of a clean sound, then I'd have to see how my pedals sound through it for the dirty tones and/or build an attenuator so I can crank it up at home. I suppose I could build the Plexi head and use it with the Deluxe's speaker, as I think I could make up some kind of switch box that wouldn't mean modifying the Deluxe.

I think I must have had too much wine last night as I was dreaming about playing a melody maker. :D

I managed to fit in a couple of visits to guitar shops today on my way back from a job. :) I tried out a Gibson Melody Maker 2014 model with P90s and also (for reference) an Epiphone LP into a Fender Deluxe 68 Custom. I liked the extra bite the P90s had, but wasn't keen on the neck of the MM (I was later told it would be more like a 50s LP). I also tried a hollowbody Telecaster with P90s, but this was too bassy and again I wasn't keen on the neck (a flatter radius than my Strat or Tele as they are 'vintage' 7.25" radius).

I wasn't mad about the Fender amp either...probably hearesy to say, but I didn't think it sounded much different to my Line 6 Flextone when I've set it up on a Deluxe mode. This was the '68 version which is supposed to distort more readily, however the distortion isn't a master volume type, so it needs to be cranked up for that which wouldn't really be practical for home use. They didn't have the Gibson LP 60s Tribute in stock yet, so I left my details so they could contact me when they get them in, so I left feeling a little disappointed.

I was going to drive home, but since I was in Farnham it wasn't much further to drive to Andertons in Guildford. I had a really good look around at all the guitars and amps, then managed to get a free 'booth' so I took a road worn 50s Strat in and tried the Fender Deluxe 65 model (Blackface) and the VoxAC10 (as someone whisked away the AC15 I'd been intending to try just as I started talking to the sale guy).

This time I was playing a more familiar guitar (though it still felt odd compared to my own Strat), but the Deluxe still just didn't do it for me: I was hoping for a similar rich, but clear/sparkly tone that I remember from when I played through a Blackface Twin reverb many years ago, but it must be rose tinted ears(!) or something as it wasn't how I remember at all. It was actually quite 'hollow' sounding, with too much mid scoop for my taste.

The little AC10 was quite a surprise. All valve, quite small but much warmer sounding than the Deluxe, yet with plenty of treble depending on where I set the tone controls. The benefit with the Vox being that it has a gain control and a master volume, so I could get some crunchy sounds from it. The controls seemed a bit abrupt though, especially the master volume, so it was hard to get the level just right.

By then the AC15 had reappeared, so I had a go with that and did some more back and forth against the Deluxe (which by then must have been feeling a bit sorry for itself as I just didn't like it :)). The AC15 has more options with the treble cut control on the master section to trim off the excess top end as required (or not). I could get some nice clean tones out of it (wasn't keen on the reverb, but I have a separate EHX Cathedral pedal anyway), plenty of volume too, so it was barely ticking over in the little 'booth' (sorry to the guy in the next booth along as I think I was drowning him out at times :blush:). However, again the clean tones didn't seem much better than I can get from the Line 6 (which I confirmed when I got home, while it was all fresh in my mind).

Trying the AC15 with a bit more gain and as soon as I hit a power chord it was a instant 'wow' moment. There was a hint of Brian May's tone (of course he doesn't usually play a Strat, but it wasn't far off) and backing off the guitar's volume cleaned it up and just gave a nice crunch tone.

So it seems that I'm searching for a clean tone that I already have in the Line 6. :facepalm: Though I tried the AC15 setting (and read the instructions to make sure I understood how the settings worked) and it sounded pretty similar clean until I used any gain, then it fell apart. I'm slowly realising that maybe I should focus on an amp that does the distortion tones better...

Now I'm wondering if that 18 watt kit is the thing to aim for, but I won't know until it's built then it's too late if I'm wrong. Used kit amps probably don't sell very well either. The other thought is perhaps to get a Vox cabinet with the same Celestion G12 in it as the AC15, then perhaps a Vox Night Train head (the 15 watt version since the small ones have gone now) and then maybe some kind of Marshall head or something else that gives Marshall style overdrive. I did see the handwired Marshall 18 watt 1974X combo and it looked gorgeous, but at £1,700 I couldn't justify the spend. I do wonder if it would cover the clean and the distorted tones though...

I think it was a worthwhile outing as it's cleared up a few thoughts: I saw the 60s Tribute at Andertons and didn't like the look of it, so another guitar is off the menu now. Instead I think I'll fit a P90 to my Affinity Tele and keep it since it's not worth much if I sold it anyway and modding it won't devalue it further.

Instead I'll focus more on the amp side. :smashin:

Last edited:
I've had a good listen to various Vox Youtube clips to try to work out the differences between the combos and the Night Train heads. Though it's hard to tell even through my AV set up as so much depends on the guitar used and the player of course, but I think I still prefer the AC15. I also compared some of the Marshall combos to see what I'd get in terms of more crunchy and more fully distorted tones, but I suspect part of what I like about that sound is the 4 x 12 cabinet which I can't accommodate.

I also found an immaculate looking AC15 Hand wired in the cream tolex, local to me for £700, which is a good saving on new (where you can still find one £1100 is typical). Wasn't planning on getting the amp before Christmas/my birthday, but it's a private sale so I might have to jump the gun if temptation gets the better of me. That means I won't have the option of getting a cabinet and adding a second head (was thinking Vox Night Train 15-G2 and some kind of Marshall with a 1 or 2 x 12 greenback cab). Maybe I'll have enough options with the AC15 and my various pedals as well (Big Muff, Tube Screamer and ancient Fuzz), plus the four different guitars/pickups (LP, Strat, Tele and the second Tele with the P90 conversion).

PS: I restrung the white 50s Classic Tele with 9s and reset it all up, lowered the action and adjusted the truss rod slightly and polished the frets. It plays beautifully now and had a great sound tonight when I took it to college. :)

I played through an AC15 when I bought my LP, very impressed. Sounded great to my ears, then I handed it to the sales guy and it just blew me away. He showed my how to go from clean to heavy crunch by using the volumes on the guitar alone, something I was unaware of. Lots of tones in that amp.

Never heard one with single coils but the AC15 sounds terrific with humbuckers.

Last edited:
There's a few You tube videos around comparing the AC15 to different amps (and even an AC15C1 against the handwired one), some of them use Gibsons and they sounded great, so I know what you mean. The Strat has that lovely 'chimey' sound (think Hank Marvin) when clean, but I could get a passable Brain May sound with the gain up and various 'jangly' Kinks type tones in between too.

If I bought the used amp, then I'd have a bit left over for that new 32 track recorder I saw recently, so that's even more tempting to go used rather than some of the more expensive new options I was looking at.

I've managed to strike lucky on the Black Friday deals at Absolute Music. :clap: I'd been considering the bigger 15 watt Vox Night Train head after a second hand 2 watt Vox 'Lil Night Train head arrived damaged earlier this week. Good job I waited as they knocked an ex display one down from £350 to £260 in the Black Friday sale. I nearly bought it the night the 2 watt turned up damaged, to save £50 off the usual new price. :smashin:

Vox NT15H-G2 Night Train 15W Valve Guitar Amp Head | Absolute Music

Tomorrow I'm going out to try a 1watt Marshall limited edition head and also theMarshall DSL15 head for comparison. Absolute Music are also doing the DSL15 head for £221 down from the usual £399, if they still have them left by tomorrow.

Search results for: 'Marshall DSL15H 15W Valve Amp Head' | Absolute Music

I think that would be a nice pair of 15 watt heads to use; Vox for the Strat/Tele mostly clean/slightly dirty tones and the Marshall for the Les Paul (Epi w/humbuckers and the 50s Tribute w/P90s). :cool:

The plan then is to get a Celestion 'Greenback' speaker and fit it to my Line 6 combo just to use it as a cabinet for the heads for now (the Line 6 amp goes 'dull' sounding after a few minutes of playing). Then consider my options once we redecorate/change round the living room next spring: I might put all my AV front speakers and subs into a 'baffle wall' so I could put any old ugly 2 x12 or even 4 x 12 behind the baffle wall as well and just have the head(s) visible.

If that doesn't work out and the new cabinet will be on show, then I'll probably get a custom one built up in a Marshall 'Bluesbreaker' style and add a second 'Greenback' to make it a 2 x 12. Then maybe make a more compact 1 x 12 that I can take out to gigs/rehearsals with.

I spent nearly 3 hours at Guitar Guitar today trying different heads (including the Vox 2 watt head). Hearing them through a decent cabinet (Orange with a V30 in it) really helped; the Vox sounded much better than it had through the Blackstar's speaker too. I'll have to get a decent cabinet sorted out at some point.

I ended up with the Marshall JMP1-H 1 watt, as I just felt it sounded better for my style/guitars than the DSL15 head. I actually did like the clean tone of the DSL, but the classic gain channel didn't seem to have enough crunch for my liking and the high gain channel was just too fizzy for my taste.

Big surprise was the Orange DT30 dual Terror; I thought it had a great clean tone and the 'fat channel' made some nice crunch tones, through to pretty saturated ones. It only has a simple 'tone' control on each channel, but if the basic sound is that good, then what more do you need? I mostly focussed on the 'Tiny Terror' channel (thinking that it would be like the Tiny Terror amp which they didn't have in stock), but I was told that it does sound different (more bottom end) so would be worth try a TT at some point to add to my Vox and Marshall pair of heads.

At least my old Line 6 Flextone is doing service as a speaker cabinet, but it doesn't sound as good as the Orange cab with the Celestion V30 in it.

Off to the studio tomorrow to meet up with a friend and we're going to try the JMP-1 into the 4 x 12 cab there just for fun.

HNAD :smashin:

I have the Orange 112, great sound and built like a tank. I put castors on mine instead of dragging it around. They also do them in black Kelvin.

I think it was a 112 I played through today and it was black. I was surprised how much of the low end 'thump' the 1 x 12 had (perhaps due to the sealed back?). My old Blackstar really sounded quite boxy when he plugged it in to check it over, so the cab makes a big difference.

The OH is going out all day tomorrow, so I'll have chance to try my other guitars through it as I haven't tried a humbucker through it, just a Strat and a P90 Tribute.

Happy new amp day Kelvin!

You could always try upgrading the speaker, the Blackstar speakers sound like someone has thrown a blanket over them to me. No doubt though a 12" sounds much more open sounding and I avoid smaller speakers now.

Celestion do a 10" V30 which people say are pretty good, just bear in mind any speaker you buy will need breaking in and the V30 can sound a bit harsh out of the box.

I traded the HT5-R against the JMP-1H. I did consider upgrading the 12" 'Blackbird' speaker in it, but I just fancy having one decent cabinet and the 2 heads to use with it. I might buy a 12" V30 and fit it to the Line 6 'cab' until I have the new cabinet built, still haven't decided what style to go for yet.

Tried my Epi Les Paul through it today...that's the sound I was after. :cool: Then I went up to the studio with my neighbour as he wanted to try out his various guitars through the half stacks they have. Of course I took along the JMP-1 and the Vox Lil Night Train as well. Both drove the 4 x 12 pretty loud considering their low wattage. :eek:

We compared my Epi against his as he has just replaced the pickups with some brand I've not heard of before. They aren't as 'hot' as the Dimarzio I've got in the bridge, but comparing my original neck pick up with his (through the Marshall of course ;)) I think his sounded better/clearer. I'll have to get round to deciding what neck pick up to get for mine. I might splash out on a pair of Bareknuckle 'Mules' but still seems a lot to pay for pick ups. (Ignoring what I've spent recently on the guitar and amps :blush:).

The Vox NT15G2 arrives on Monday and I've got the day off. :smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom