1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kef's reference series.

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by ashley duggan, Jul 30, 2005.

1. ashley duggan

ashley duggan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My 7.1 set up consists of Kef's old Thx reference series and i would like to know what the best set up is for my back four speakers.I have a choice of either all four as the Tdm 23's or two of the four could be the tdm 34ds dipoles,i use them for home cinema dd and dts only.

2. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +772
    If your amplifier does THX Ultra2, then use the dipole TDM34's on the sides and the 23F's at the rear.
    That's exactly the configuration I use and the configuration recommended by THX.

I used to have 2 pairs of TDM34's at the rear and sides, but it didn't work so I sold 1 pair.
    The 34's work well on the side walls, but not at the back.

The ideal situation is to have 3 pairs of TDM23's, 1 pair of TDM34's, and an amplifier that can switch between monopole/bipole speakers sets at the side.
    i.e.
    - 1 pair TDM23's at the front
    - 1 pair TDM34's at the side (selectable by amp)
    - 1 pair TDM23's at the side (selectable by amp)
    - 1 pair TDM23's at the back.

This set up would be able to make the most of 5.1 music and any 5/6.1 film perfectly.

But in the real world, 7 speakers is silly never mind 9 of 'em! In which case
    my first suggestion is the ideal compromise and excatly the reason THX invented Ultra2.
    Even if you use vanilla DD/DTS only, I'd still recommend this set up but with the back speakers set slightly further apart.

PS.. the TDM speakers are still the best speakers I've ever heard for both movies and music..... except the TDM45B Subwoofer.
    If you still have the 45B Sub, throw it away and get an SVS PC Ultra :devil:
    Its a match made in heaven and you'll be very hard pushed to find a better sounding system anywhere!

3. ashley duggan

ashley duggan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Now that's funny you mention Kef's Tdm 45b sub because mine as just kind of packed up on me and i've been in contact with Svs and read all about them on various forums,it's a toss up between pb12-ultra 2 or pb12-plus/2.Which would you go for and why?As regards my Kef's,my amp is Denon's Avc-A1se which is only ultra thx and not ultra 2.I don't bother with Thx so which speakers are best at the rear sides? - the dipoles Tdm34ds or the Tdm23's.

4. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +772
    As for the sub, I can't speak for SVS Box subs since I've never heared one, but if they're anything like the cylinder subs you'll be absolutely laughing.
    Both my PC Ultra and my brothers PCPlus 25/31 blow the old KEF45B into quivering wreck, and they are both much much better with music aswell.
    The Ultra driver sounds a little tighter though.

On to your speakers, well it depends whether your primary listening is music or films. If music, then I'd recommend the TDM23's at the sides. If films, then I'd recommend the 34's. Either could be considered a small compromise in any particular circumstance.

However your amplifier Denon A1SE supports A/B speaker switching on the rear (side) channel, so why not connect them all up and have the best of both worlds.
    I also have the Denon A1SE, although mine has had the THX Ultra2 upgrade.

If you absolutely cannot get all 9 speakers in your listening room, then my preference would be for the 34's on the sides with the 23's at the back placed a good distance apart to help with 5.1 music.

Oh, and if you're then left with a spare pair of TDM23's, send them my way!
    I'll make good use of them I promise. :)