KEF's or Anthony Gallo's

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by kingston, Apr 26, 2007.

1. kingston

kingston

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Ok, ive searched on here and not really found what im looking for and i know the answer will be, go and hear them and decide but finding somewhere to hear them side by side seems to be difficult to arrange.

I like the look of the Gallos but have been able to find the KEF's 3/5005s for £700, however the gallo's dont have a sub and whilst they do do a 5.1 package i was thinking more along the lines of 2 diva (front/ 3 micros (rear) or 3 divas front/2 micros rear then gettign the B&W PAV1 sub of KEF sub to in keep with the global design.

So, are the 3005's better than 5005s for movies and which are better when compared against the gallo 5.1 system or would it be better for the 2/3 or 3/2 component set-up with additional sub?

2. marcstang

marcstang

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    I was looking at the Kefs 3005 and thought they were ok but not much of an improvement over my 2005s. Finally opted for some orb audios from the states (www.orbaudio.com) after reading peoples feedback. I am very impressed. They are a significant improvement over than my 2005s in our new flat. Well worth a look in my opinion. I combined them with a BK Electrics xls200 sub and they are great. Not heard the gallos so I can't comment but some people on here have stated that the orbs sound better (I think the guy who founded orb audio came from gallo).

3. sdb123

sdb123
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,255
    That subjective view can be balanced by saying that some feel Gallo's sound better than the Orbs....horses for courses. ;)

As I posted on a similar thread, you could try to source a 2nd hand set and get more for your money or the same for less money. :)

If you do go for the Gallo's make sure you get a different sub (for example BK XLS200). IMO the PV-1 is more of a design statement than a sub, particularly for the relatively large cost.

4. slowpoke

slowpoke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I am having the same issue, gone from Orbs to Kefs to gallos to cantons....and going more mad by the day :(

5. malctAN

malctAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    What are the orbs like for music DVD'S, Say like pink floyd pulse

6. marcstang

marcstang

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    Sorry I can't comment on music dvds, as I don't own any, but I find the orbs are a marked improvement for music over my Kefs. I listen to a broad range of music (classical, indy, and electronic/Techno), and they perform very well on all fronts.I'm still running them in but they seem to provide more clarity and fullness, and I can hear more from the music than before (if that makes sense). I'd recommend a decent sub to go with them though.

7. malctAN

malctAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Thank you for your reply.
    good time to buy it the USA with the $$$$$$ so high

8. marcstang

marcstang

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    Yes it's a bargain at the moment. Be aware of possible customs charges though. The guys at orb will declare the package as $300 to keep customs charges low if the packet get's stopped. I ended up paying an additional £43 for VAT and Parcelforce admin. Still a bargain if you ask me.

9. kingston

kingston

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    hmm, so are the mod2's better than the mod1's then or...

youd ahve thought that with good looking speakers, theyd design a better looking sub...

but then i prefer the look of the gallos over the orbs, but then at the mo obs are cheaper...

then again, ive found the KEF's for 700 which would be the price of the mod 2's with a sub sourced from the UK...

10. slowpoke

slowpoke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Im going to NY at the end of the month and apparently they have a shop there so will check out the orbs

11. marcstang

marcstang

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    Yep, the sub is pants. I got a xls200 instead which was actually recommended by the guys from orbaudio. I find the mod2s better for music. A mod 2 is effectively 2 mod1 in parallell. So you could start of with a mod1 system and upgrade it by adding additional mod1's.

It's personal preference at the end of the day. I auditioned the 3005s and didn't think they were much better for music than my 2005s. I took a gamble and went with the orbs which I feel now give me the best of both worlds.

I always found that the sub let the 2005s down. It may be ok for a small room but once I moved flat and took it into a big room it just got lost. The xls200 is far better than the one provided with the 2005s and dare I say the 3005s without getting my head ripped off. I now smile everytime the LFE kicks in during a movie. A decent sub will make half your system.

12. malctAN

malctAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I guess the total package cost of the orbs will be £600 there abouts.
    What happens with the customs guys , Do they just send you a bill ???
    Orb says it takes 2 weeks for delivery and if your not happy then send them back with in 30 days !!! Sound like Bose but without the rip off of high prices

13. jon smith

jon smith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +230
    I have the PV1 coupled with 3 x Adiva Tis at the front, with 4 Micro Tis at the back. The B&W sub may not go as deep as some others, but is perfectly suited to satellites as it has a higher crossover than many other subs.

I previously had a BK XLS200 and a Veloydyne SPL800, both were excellent but the PV1 is obviously a perfect aesthetic match for the Gallos (I managed to get the PV1 2nd hand for £500 and it was well worth that price).

A while back I demo'd the Kef 5005s and the older Gallo Micros and found the Gallos to be much clearer with music and movies.

The Orbs look excellent value for money though and I love that copper finish they do.

14. marcstang

marcstang

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140

I ordered the peoples choice (mod2s at the front and mod1s at the rear) came to £426 incl delivery. Customs charges plus parcelforce admin cost was around £45. Parcelforce will usually send you a letter with the charges prior to delivering your parcel. You can then pay them over the phone or net. I just popped down to the depot as soon as the tracking showed that the parcel was held there and paid with my card.

The guys at orbaudio marked the value of the speakers as $300 so I only had to pay VAT on that. There is no duty as it's no multiple speakers enclosed in a single cabinet. The speakers arrived in a week (2 days of which they were in customs) and orbaudio provided full tracking. Can't fault them for customer service. Whenever I mailed them I got a reply almost instantly. They were also helpful in suggesting which other subs would sit well with the orbs.

15. slowpoke

slowpoke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    are the Orbs heavy? Do you recjon I could bring them back in a suitcase from NY?

16. eastman3000

eastman3000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Excellent post!

After some investigating and talking to chaps on anoter forum! - Who were quite keen on the Gallos (DIVA Ti system £1200 5.1)

They found the Gallos to be more neutral sounding. I belive they meant closer high end hifi system. The KEF 3005 is a great system as its going quite cheap and the stands have cable managment. Where as i would have to buy seperate wall stands for the gallos........

choices choices.....

I think Sevenoaks stock both types of speaker so will arrange a demo for myself.

Reading posts in the pasts the ORBs have always got praise.

my 2p worth!

17. marcstang

marcstang

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    They weigh about 500 - 600g each. I think the weight of my package was quoted as 6kg. They have a great foam packaging system which you could easily put into your hand luggage.

18. malctAN

malctAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I have Emailed Orb and trying to get a Full price Inc shipping.
    I got a Email this morning with a good deal from Linn with a good deal on Linn Komponent AV for under a grand , So there is another good make in the Pot.

I guess its a mind field out there with all these top of the range speakers

19. slowpoke

slowpoke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Cheers, will have a listen when I am there and might try and bring some back in my hand luggage

20. kingston

kingston

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3

Do you know where they got a quote for the Diva Ti system from? Or do you know where places are doing the speakers for less than rrp as most online places are quoting rrp+?

21. eastman3000

eastman3000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    You could do a search for dealers from the AG website

http://www.anthonygallo.co.uk/

or

This chap is quite helpfull knows his stuff about HT. :thumbsup:
    Cinema expereice dot com

His a Administrator I think of ****** forums -Just got to see some of the work his done!

22. kingston

kingston

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Yeah, ive looked on their website for dealers, i guess its just a case of me being lazy :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

ill have to search for that website wyou mention as its not working the link or fancy pm'ing me the details if you dont want to show them here??? Dont know why not or is it some sort of rivalry?

23. sdb123

sdb123
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,255
    There's a lot of history there....:)

24. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,393
    Don't even go there! :D

25. malctAN

malctAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I feel like giving up on looking for a Speaker package and just nipping down to the local store for a couple of cans and a piece of string , before i found this site , i was all for the Kef's 2005 , and then it was the 3005s, then i moved on to the Orbs, then i got a Email about a Linn half price package , and now its the Anthony Gallo's.
    when your spending this kind of money on decent sound , its got to be right first time or it can work out a costly mistake.
    So far i have worked out that the Orbs will cost around £660 depending on customs , the Anthony Gallo's are £850, The kefs are anywhere from £450 upwards for the 2005's , And the two cans and string for under a £1 :thumbsdow.
    I am off to carlisle today to look at the Anthony Gallo's and the Linn at the local HiFi store , So you never know.
    Seen some Kefs on Ebay with the Starting price of £250 , but after 2 Emails to him, he decided not to reply and then i read his only feedback with a warning about him, So that one is out of the question.
    I guess most of the people on here are so undecided when it comes to parting with hard earned cash and buying the best sound for the pound.
    If there is any good Advice out there , Then please Help

26. eastman3000

eastman3000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    I see where your coming from malctAN. There is a lot to think about!! My personaly predicament has also been the asthetics and how the speakers fit on the wall.

i think for me its gonna be the 3005s. I had the Kef 2005 package at my old house and was reasonably happy with them. The sub and centre are its weakness but all the same an above average system.

Im gonna book some time next month for demos - probably the 3005s Vs Galls Vs Tannoy arenas. Again the price of the arenas with oem wall brackets is quite high in comparison.

Regarding rivalry - wow didnt think the situatuion was that bad!

27. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,393
    Bottom line....see what you think once you've had a listen to the Linn and the Gallos :)

28. kingston

kingston

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3

So your ruling out the KEF's then?

Guess im going to have to find time to go to Sevenoaks in Bedford to see whats what... However, 7oaks dont stock the Gallo's and rate the 3005's above them... (just phoned them)

29. malctAN

malctAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Just back from carlisle and had a demo of the linn's which i am thinking about buying , Just had to phone the shop up with details of some trade in stuff.

Maybe i should sell them on here , but dont think it would be worth my while by the time someone pays for postage ect.
    In my collection i have a Marantz CD player CD63 Marantz ST55 Tuner and Marantz amp PM60100SE plus a pair of B&W DM110 speakers.
    Would love £200 but think the shop might offer me maybe £60 for the lot.

30. eastman3000

eastman3000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    How did the LINN speaker package sound?

What was the setup - i.e. amp etc

Im very keen to know as it looks impressive:rolleyes: