KEF's NEW Q SERIES UNVEILED

Status
Not open for further replies.
We were really impressed at the quality from the Q100 and Q300's straight out of the box. We got the Q100's out and bolted them to a Arcam Solo Mini and the sound was fantastic, large amount of tight, textured bass, really good midrange and the treble wasn't harsh at all. The Q300 gave even more bass on the Marantz system we were using and the soundstage remained static.

Your best bet is to visit your local dealer. We have all models apart from the floorstanders and the subwoofer on display in our showroom now.

The other models in the range are expected to arrive within then next few weeks.

Regards,

Chris.

Keep me posted as want to come check out the floorstanders. :smashin:

As a avid fan of Kef and money waiting to spend, I have been on the case with Kef UK re the floorstanders, after a few emails to the right people, I now have arranged with Kef UK HQ to hear in a stereo set up and 5.1 set up the Q900, Q700 and Q600c as theres none in the uk.

Will let you know how it goes.

Many thanks Kef :smashin:

As a avid fan of Kef and money waiting to spend, I have been on the case with Kef UK re the floorstanders, after a few emails to the right people, I now have arranged with Kef UK HQ to hear in a stereo set up and 5.1 set up the Q900, Q700 and Q600c as theres none in the uk.

I can pretty much guarantee you will not be dissapointed.

Good luck with the audition

Phil

I guess I must be in the minority but as a potential customer for some MA RX8's or similar I studied the earlier piccies of the floorstanders and am left with the distinct impression that the cabinets (specifically the front) look a bit "cheap".

Last edited:
I will take my camera with me but doubt that they will let me take pictures whilist I am there.

I think the images are computer generated so would not be a fair conclusion until viewed in person.

I guess I must be in the minority but as a potential customer for some MA RX8's or similar I studied the earlier piccies of the floorstanders and am left with the distinct impression that the cabinets (specifically the front) look a bit "cheap".

Surely the RX series is a level above the iQ range hence they would be expected to look 'cheaper' compared to them?

Surely the RX series is a level above the iQ range hence they would be expected to look 'cheaper' compared to them?

Is price not an indicator of quality or "level"?

"Q700 floorstanding loudspeaker £1000/pair
Q900 floorstanding loudspeaker £1200/pair"

Gixer is right - all the images so far have been computer generated - they do look much better in the flesh.

After Gixer's post I spent some more time looking at the pictures and agree you are both right.:smashin:

The RX and the new Q series are rough equivalents as far as price is concerned. The only odd one out is the Q900, which is above and beyond the RX series, although a similar price to the RX8 in a gloss finish.

The RX and the new Q series are rough equivalents as far as price is concerned. The only odd one out is the Q900, which is above and beyond the RX series, although a similar price to the RX8 in a gloss finish.

If I am honest the non gloss RX8's are spendy enough for me.:smashin:

One thing I should've mentioned is that different manufacturers spend money in different areas. Conventional square boxes are cheaper than curved cabinets, and wrapping them in real wood veneers is an expensive option, and gloss finishes even more expensive. Drive units can be bought cheaply, although in the case of KEF and MA, they both design and build their own, but costs can still differ. So some speakers may look cheaper than others, but those cheaper looking ones might have better quality components in.

One thing I should've mentioned is that different manufacturers spend money in different areas. Conventional square boxes are cheaper than curved cabinets, and wrapping them in real wood veneers is an expensive option, and gloss finishes even more expensive. Drive units can be bought cheaply, although in the case of KEF and MA, they both design and build their own, but costs can still differ. So some speakers may look cheaper than others, but those cheaper looking ones might have better quality components in.

Thats probably the case with my current Tannoy F Customs - Vinyl finish & top quality components.;)

If anyone wishes to listen to the Q500 and Q700 speakers then try out these guys at the moment, I know that they currently have all the speakers apart from the Q900 for demonstration at the moment

Home Media Maidstone, Kent are a retail establishment providing quality Hi-Fi, Home Cinema & Custom Installation products. Backed by personal and friendly service.

ps ask for Simon

Regards

how would the b&w 684 compare to the q500 and likewise the B&w 685 to the Q100 or Q300

Also how much would you need to spend on an amp to be able to power these. Would something like a onkyo 608 or yamaha 667 be enough - If i bi-wire the floorstanders?

thinking about Q500 front with either Q100 or Q300 rear
or B&W 684 front and 685 rear. This all depends whether i can actually get the funds first though as i'm aiming way over budget atm :laugh:

Edit: also the MA Rx6 look really nice too...

Last edited by a moderator:
I would treat them like Monitor Audio's RX series, or B&W's 600 series - a 608 or 667 will power them, but aren't getting anywhere near the best from them. I think you'd have to be looking more towards the RXV1067/2067 ideally.

As for which is better, that's personal preference! :)

how much more power do those produce? i'm a bit confused by the ratings

MA RX6 are 6 ohm

Onkyo 608 says 160W at 6 ohm and can bi-amp

Pioneer vsx-920 says 140W at 6 ohm can't bi-amp

not sure what the 667 is says max 140w but think thats at 4 ohm and can bi-amp

The yamaha 1067 is 165W at 6 ohm (i think)

Others if didnt want 1.4 hdmi

Pioneer VSX-LX52 is 150w at 6 ohm

i understand that i'm going to be pushing it and would love to spend more on an amp but theres such a price difference between the next steps up and there doesn't seem to be much power increase from the ratings (unless i'm reading them completely wrong). I'm way over budget as it is (was orignially going to just get 4 x MA br5, but think gonna hold off buying sub and rears till get more cash)

If you had to choose between the 3 budget amps, - 608, 920 and 667 which would be more powerful/ best suited.

With the RX, I'd look at the Onkyo or the Pioneer. I find the Yamaha/RX combo a little too warm and soft, but if that floats your boat, go for it! :)

Keep me posted as want to come check out the floorstanders. :smashin:

As promised, here is an update. We now have all models in the new Q Series on demonstration apart from the Q900s which should be here by the end of November hopefully.

Cheers,

Chris.

Just need those 900's now!!

With these being such a great sounding speaker, I'm wondering if they'll be competition for a well known 'movie' branded speaker which I really don't want to mention....they certainly have some very strong qualities.

Just need those 900's now ! tell me about it, it's worse than waiting for a Monolith because I have heard the 900's and they were dare I say the word.. amazing :thumbsup:

THIS is now the owners thread.

Further discussion there,folks.

K.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom