Rear are XQ5
Woofer is Rel 505

powered by :

Arcam AV8 Processor
Arcam FMJ P1 X 3 for fronts and Center
And ARcam FMJ P35X 1 for Rears

Dvd is Marantz 9500.

I have a few queries and will appreciate your help :

1. I do find the vocals to be a bit low. If i increase the volume the center goes hi so the vocals plus all the other sound connected to the center increases hence there is no benefit the vocals remain a bit low . is there any way to overcome this or Kef has this thing of generating low vocals?

2. i used spl to calibrate but i found out that its not perfect at all but its good for a reference in the end u have to finalize the valus by your ear. here are the values that i found fit with the av8

fronts: -5 20 feet distance
center: -7 21 Feet Distance( i found the center to be running loud why is that when i have p1 for my fronts and my rear ) ?????? Am i getting confused and should keep center to -5 or can the center can go loud then the fronts when powered by the same source

rear -4 2 Feet distance
sub +4 The rel sub is on 12 o clock on the knob which is in the sub

Hi,
First question I have for you is have you tried adjusting the 'boundary control' on the 202c:

"all models ..... are fitted with a boundary control device to adjust bass response according to speaker positioning and the acoustics of the listening area." Kef.

That may assist by restricting the bass and allowing the mid range to come through; your manual will tell you what to do.

After that I would recalibrate using the SPL.

Finally, how long have you been running the speakers? These Kef's I think can take some time to settle down from new.

Regards
Antz

its been a year. i will look into the boundry control device.

secondly what do you think about my values.

this is interesting the BCD. never paid much attention to it. my viewing sofa is like 19 feet away from the fronts and center. As for the 205 it has three setting . by default its at Flat the bass control in the 205. the manual says that Flat is when u have your speakers more then 0.75 Meter from the front wall and 0.75m will be like 2.3 Feet i guess. Mine are 1 Feet away from the wall only. so now should i change the bass to Cut or Lift?

Secondly as for the 202c . this has 4 settings. one is the bass control and the second is about HF response. now for first there are 2 options by default its at free space and the other is Television. Now my center is mounted at around 8 feet above the widescreen Tv so should i switch from free space to television then.??

Secondly about the Hf there are 2 options normal or screen . by default its at normal. the screen option as they say is for those who have :

Select 'Screen' when the speaker is
positioned behind a screen.

mine is above a like a bit behind but not blocked by the tv so do i chose screen or keep it to normal ?

this is interesting the BCD. never paid much attention to it. my viewing sofa is like 19 feet away from the fronts and center. As for the 205 it has three setting . by default its at Flat the bass control in the 205. the manual says that Flat is when u have your speakers more then 0.75 Meter from the front wall and 0.75m will be like 2.3 Feet i guess. Mine are 1 Feet away from the wall only. so now should i change the bass to Cut or Lift?

Secondly as for the 202c . this has 4 settings. one is the bass control and the second is about HF response. now for first there are 2 options by default its at free space and the other is Television. Now my center is mounted at around 8 feet above the widescreen Tv so should i switch from free space to television then.??

Secondly about the Hf there are 2 options normal or screen . by default its at normal. the screen option as they say is for those who have :

Select 'Screen' when the speaker is
positioned behind a screen.

mine is above a like a bit behind but not blocked by the tv so do i chose screen or keep it to normal ?

205's
I'd try the cut setting on the 205's.

202c
Freespace would seem to be the right setting here.
However the problem you have is probably related to the speaker being positioned above your screen; 8 foot above the screen seems to be the problem. My experience with centres is that they tend to sound better below the screen. Have you got it angled towards your seating position; that may help.

Again, you should recalibrate once you have made any adjustments.

Regards
Antz

the cut setting makes them more treble giving right ?
i have them on cut now. as for the 202c swtiched the knob to television . sound is better now i guess . my new calibrated values are

fronts -5
center -5
rear -4 ( if i keep these to -6 then i guess i miss some effects from rear )
woofer +4

Are you sure its setup OK?

The 202c is the best center channel I've heard, when I had a demo the clarity was astounding, even in a really hectic Blackhawk Down scene I could very clearly make out all the dialogue amongst the bullets, music and general chaos. There was no effort required which was startling compared to my own somewhat poor Monitor Audio RSLCR.

Never really heard it done so well since either. Shame I'm too damn poor to afford the £1000 asking for one of these. I'd hate to hear the 204c!

Are you sure its setup OK?

The 202c is the best center channel I've heard, when I had a demo the clarity was astounding, even in a really hectic Blackhawk Down scene I could very clearly make out all the dialogue amongst the bullets, music and general chaos. There was no effort required which was startling compared to my own somewhat poor Monitor Audio RSLCR.

Never really heard it done so well since either. Shame I'm too damn poor to afford the £1000 asking for one of these. I'd hate to hear the 204c!

Hi,
Shop around, I just got a brand new one in Cherry for £499; I think I was lucky but I've seen plenty of ex-demo with full warranty for the same price.

Whitewolf...how have you got on...any improvement?

Regards
Antz

I spoke to the Kef representative as well. He told me to keep my speakers to small If i got a sub . SO keeping them to small. As for the boundary compensation thingy. he said that if i have having problems with the clarity of sound then he told me to switch the knob from Flat (default) to Lift keeping in view my viewing distance as well whcih is 19 feet. so now my 205 are on LIft setting. and my center have this knob which is meant for a center kept above the screen.

Unfortunately i was unable to test my new settings since my sub woofer was making a treble like sound. i have sent sub for repair to my vendor . its Rel 505. I will check these further once i get the sub.

As for the setting values in the processor av8 i have

205 on -5
202 on -5
since they are both powered my p1 so i guess at -5 they sound like they are exactly at the same volume. as for my rears

xq5 on -6 they are 2 feet away from me but since they have a different amp which is p35 and they arent reference so they sound ok at -6 which is just 1 point low then my fronts whcih are 19 feet away.

for the sub i keep it on -2

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom