1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kef

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Nic Rhodes, Mar 28, 2001.

1. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    I ordered two pairs of the top Kef dipole in white on the 28th Oct 2000. To date they have not been delivered. My dealer doesn’t seem to be getting anywhere and Kef refuse to answer my emails. What do I do? It has now been six months and I think I have more than patient.

2. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It sounds to me that either kef or the dealer are taking the p***.
    I'd go somewhere else and order something else.There must be an alternative for a simalar price.

3. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    6 months is absolutely ridiculous. I'd be ranting after a couple of weeks!
    Take your wallet elsewhere and simply complain in writing to a top man at KEF to let them know your feelings.
    Do not go through the lower mortals, it will have no effect.
    Otherwise, good luck in finding something else to your liking.
    It seems very bad on KEF's behalf. Not good publicity.

4. Matt F

Matt F

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Cancel the order - you've given them far too long already. It's a shame because the KEFs are great rear speakers (I use them myself) and there aren't too many alternatives, especially in white.

However, one alternative does spring to mind and that is the M&K Surround 55 Tripole - it's a cracking speaker (check out the review on Home Entertainment website) and is available in white (and is quite a lot smaller than the KEF).

They retail at the same price as the KEF but you won't get a discount. However, if you're after two pairs of surround speakers you could use the 55 tripoles at the side and perhaps a regular pair of the Surround 550 THX at the back - the latter are £150 cheaper than the tripoles but are still very good (and also come in white).

Check out www.mksound.com for more details.

Hope this helps.

5. le hutch

le hutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Maybe take a look at Monitor Audio's Silver FXi. Available in black or white, they can be configured as either di or bi-pole.

6. titan

titan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I see you are still waiting for these speakers nic. you told me before you thought the holdup was because you wanted white? well why not change the order to black and then get a new set of white coveringd when kef get of there arse and decide to make them? i know it will cost more but the speakers are excellent and you should be able to get black now. i did, i only waited 4 days and i live in a diferent country. in any case i agree with you sending a letter to kefs top man its just poor form to have to wait 6months.

best of luck

nathan

7. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    What are you going to do then?
    I'm hoping for a bitch at KEF. Want to see how good their customer service is.
    I phoned them once a long time ago and was treated like 'Mr. Insignificant', so I'm interested to see if you end up a happy customer.
    For the record, I have other KEF speakers which are great. Unlike their service it seems. [​IMG]
    Also, the speakers you've ordered aren't exactly cheap either are they?
    They should certainly show some respect to a 'good paying' customer!!!

------------------
    Douch!!......Wot's da madder, da CIA got you pushing too many penzils?

Work: www.hughes-tv.co.uk

[This message has been edited by General Skanky (edited 03-04-2001).]

8. nfordenfield

nfordenfield
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Guys

I,ve just ordered 2 pairs of black and my mate ordered a pair of white.

Theses are big speakers but are worth every penny if you have TDM's or Reference front end.(and enough power) I've heard the M&K set up and found it far to bland. You need excitement.

Watching Holby City last night and Misses thought there were people in the back garden (Which is behind us)This was background on the programme. Better still, In Star Wars 1 - Podracing scene took my head off.

If you still have not got the speakers, email me and i'll try and help as best I can.

Hang in there they are worth it.

Nathan

;)

9. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    Nathan,

I am trying to resolve this now. Has your mate got his white speaker? If he has why can't I get mine?

From your location are you a Kef employee or just local to the factory?

My next step was to email the MD. To be honest I am disappointed in the dealers involved and Kef over this. I have been a loyal Kef customer for over 20 years. From my demos of rear speakers I thought the Kef the best and they use the same drivers as my 200c.

10. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Nic,
    I feel bad for you. I like KEF stuff, and would always try to keep speakers within the family if poss. You've been dumped on by KEF.
    I would definately let your concerns be known to the MD!!!!!!!!!! complain, complain, complain!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I don't know what to tell you otherwise. For the quality of stuff you arelooking at, I can only suggest good demos.
    Maybe someone like Gordon form Stereo Stereo can be of more specific help when it comes to matching good speakers.

[ 11-04-2001: Message edited by: General Skanky ]

11. GaryG

GaryG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nic

Don't know what your room or mounting restrictions are but have you thought of using something like the KEF Ci 200QT? It mounts in the ceiling and is motorised to angle the speaker (8" with Uni -Q) to your listening position. I'm debating whether to buy a full set of 7 of these for my Lexicon to free up some space (got Kef Reference 4's at the front obscuring my screen at the moment). They are supplied in white and can be painted (cost about £270 each).

Ooops, forgot to mention they are in the Custom Installation section at www.kef.co.uk

[ 11-04-2001: Message edited by: GaryG ]

12. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,779
    Nic,

Snell do a small version of the SR30's. They are bi-pole only and are £700 a pair instead of £1300! They are available in white and we think they're great.

I wouldn't get too hung up on the bi/di/mono pole thing. Better to get a good speaker than a poor one with the specs you want...well that's my opinion anyway.

If you are ever back up you can hear them as they are a permanent item in our small dem room.

Just thought you should know.

Gordon

13. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    Right, the dealer has turned around and said they definitely can’t supply the Kefs so I am back to square one. They have told me Kef are working on new speakers (THX Dipoles?). Does anyone know anything about these?

Frankly I am disappointed. This shows badly on someone that they cannot supply in this time, whom I don’t know. Kef may have lost a loyal customer and all the people who usually follow my recommendations over this.

The dealer has suggested some Polk di-poles in white (£450 each and I need 4). M and K are the obvious other replacements (£700 pair). Does anyone else have any other suggestions? I heard some huge Snells at StereoStereo when listening to projectors but I think they were twice the price. I did loads of research on this 6-9 months ago but have ditched all the paperwork as I thought I got it all sorted!

I am experimenting with some Linn 5110 (?) small ‘flatish’ plastic white discrete speaker at £200. They seem to work ok but I think I am after something better. At £200 I think they are good, but the price of the extra fixing bracket is extortionate (almost £50!). The speakers will be driven by a Tag MaClaren power amp of very good quality.

The centre speaker is a Kef 200c (I did like this allot but now I am rapidly going off it and Kef). The main L and R are Posselt Albatross. A very neutral six foot + tall slim tapered column of some serious quality but are rare.

What are peoples opinions on matching speakers from different makes. With this change I potentially have mains, centre and rear / sides from different makes?

Guys I need some help.

14. le hutch

le hutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just bought a Monitor audio silver 12i centre for £400. Available in a range of finishes and has two lurvely 6.5 inch c-cam drivers. It's very impressive in the treble department too...

Then how about some monitor audio silver FXi surrounds. Available in black or white, they have the same drivers as the centres and you can slect di or bi-pole configuration by way of a switch on the back.

I'm running the centre with silver 9i fronts, Arcam AVR100 and DV88. I'll be getting the rears when I can afford them.

You could always go for the gold series if you want something a little bit more expensive.... :D :D :D

15. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    Gordon

Can you elaborate more on the Snell speakers. I had set a budget of £1300 for two pairs of surround sound speakers. I am currently using a pair of Celestion little ones for rears and Kef Q15s for side duties. These need upgrading to balance the system. With budget of £1300 it begs the question will I be better off with one mega pair for side duties and possibly allocate more money at a later stage for a second pair? I.E. temporarily trade-down to 5.1 from 7.1 or use a mega Snell with one of the other speakers until I am in my new location. Are my power amps good enough for these speakers as they will not get changed.

The Kef dipoles I thought were excellent, however at £700 everyone thinks that they are expensive for rear / side duties. Now you have a £1300 pair of Snells!! It needs some justification. I am not clued up on current Snell speakers (only the old Audio Note variations) hence both the big brother and cheapo (£700!) are essentially unknown to me. I expect that this will be the same for most readers of this forum.

I have had a quick poke around but information is sparse. Is the smaller surround speaker is the SR 5 and bigger one part of the XA range (SR30mp?)? For everyone, the huge Snells I saw were large but well designed. The top was wider (and deeper?) than the bottom. This allows an aesthetically pleasing triangular shaped speaker that looks smaller than it actually is, especially if located high on a wall. It looks better than my description can portray here.

Can you tell us a little about them for general info, spec / feelings etc / colour finish / dipole / bipole etc / efficiency / driver arrangement / , for general information.

Please note that this is a request from a potential customer and not Gordon selling on the forum. If I am interested I will speak to Gordon privately at StereoStereo. I thought the info was of general interest.

16. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277

General or anyone else. Who is the MD of Kef and has anyone got his email address?

They are not going to get away with this poor sevice. Can I charge them for loss of my time?

17. GaryG

GaryG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nic

I think you would be disappointed if you were to drop from 7.1 to 5.1, even if it is an interim measure. From personal experience the cost/benefit ratio kicks in pretty quick for side and rear speakers. I use a Reference model 100 for the centre and Reference model 4's for the L/R, sides are model 70's and rears are Q15's. My intention was to move to Ref model 3 or 4 for the sides and rear but after demoing them the difference wasn't worth the outlay (or the huge amount of space they take up). If you are using a sub there's little to be gained, more expensive speakers tend to include bigger drivers to increase the frequency response, which arguably are not needed with a sub.

Until a couple of weeks ago I didn't really appreciate the KEF Uni-Q technology. I decided that I was going to replace my Ref 4's with something with more bass but not as tall using the best drivers (Scan-Speak tweeters, ATC midrange, volt woofers etc) having gone along to Wilmslow Audio to listen to the combination of units I was interested in it became apparent how narrow the listening position was using conventional tweeters, yes, the Kef may not be the last word in quality but the huge listening area of the Uni-Q take some beating for home-cinema use, not to mention value for money, the cost of the buying top quality drivers and crossovers alone came to over a £1000 per speaker, multiply that by 7 plus cabinets, ouch! I think I'll try the Kef Ci200QT first.

18. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Interesting.
    I find my KEF's can be bright at times, especially if no sub is in use. I have Q15 and 60s and 80c. A far cry from the quality you lot have, but it's the first post to uphold Uni Q that I've ever seen.
    I always think about bigger and better, but I need the space to justify etc and so on. But it will certainly have a bearing on my perspective of KEF technology.
    As for the MD, I don't know. Is he/she not on their website?
    Send a snail mail to KEF, once you have the name, it's a lot more effective than e-mail!

19. GaryG

GaryG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    General

Completely agree with you about the brightness of the Q15 and related family members. This is because the Uni-Q tweeter is not the same as the one used in the Reference models. Just for a laugh I tried the Q15 in place of my Ref 4's for the front stereo pair and played my best test CD's. Have to say they didn't sound too good, the bass-reflex system doesn't really work with this speaker it sounded 'honky' with 'shrill' treble and no mid-range. Personally I'm not in favour of the reflex port systems, they don't have the speed and slam of a good sealed enclosure, they may extend the bass but I don't think the trade-off in other areas is worth it.

20. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,779
    Sorry I missed the thread for a few days.I've been a bit busy and haven't had time to keep track of it all. Now I'm at home sick so I'll post more technical info about the Snells probably tomorrow.

For now I'll just say that the SR30's are part of the XA range. The SR5's are designed to go with the E5/K5/C5 range. Details are probably on the Snell web site.

The first ex system we did had 3 SR5's and I thought it was pretty cool. The SR30 is switchable from bi to di pole. We found in our dem room that when set at di-pole dispersion pattern dialogue from the centre channel was adversly affected. So they are on bi-pole settings. We use 4 x SR30 in EX configured TAG 32r system. Sounds good.

More to follow.

Gordon

Oh and what's a registered THX dealer.Is it someone who's been on THX training or someone who KEF has decided is a THX approved retailer? Just looking for clarification not "having a go"

[ 14-04-2001: Message edited by: Gordon, StereoStereo ]

21. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    Well I have contact two Kef ‘dealers’ on this. Sound and vision, Bolton are a cheap box shifter. They said no problem, they will confirm by phone that afternoon (5 days ago!). No contact since. Don’t like box shifters anyway.

A dealer in Nottingham seemed very confident and helpful. They need to speak to Kef first but didn’t see a problem. They said they would chase Kef up on Tueaday and get back to me that morning. I was actually quite up beat after this response. I will report back the results.

22. nfordenfield

nfordenfield
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nick

Yes my mate got his white 34DS's. Waited just over a week for them.

No i'm not an employee, but do know KEF staff, one is old school friend.

Who is the dealer, it's up to him to chase KEF. Mine where delivered from stock. KEF will only supply registered THX dealers. Is yours one?

If you want these spakers, email me with a contact telephone number.

Regards

Nathan

23. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    A quick update on the KEF saga. It appears I have suffered at the hands of dealers who cannot supply the better (THX / Reference?) equipment, despite claiming they can. 9.10 this morning the above mentioned ‘new’ dealer got in contact. Kef are currently out of stock but are building some more white ones later this week. The dealer claims he can definitely supply next week. So I have given him an order. They asked for a deposit over the phone but I delayed that until Thursday when they will definitely confirm everything and I will go to the shop. It looks promising, now I am getting excited.

Thanks to all who have helped in sorting this out for me.

24. av curious

av curious

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dear Nic,
    Sorry to hear about your Kef problem`s,A bit late into the thread i know but in support of kef i`ve alway`s found them more than helpful.The other day i rang to order a set of spikes for my front Q`s and anticipated a bill,not unreasonably.I also wanted 8 more to build some racking.They took my details as i spoke and i said how much do i owe you
    -ithought about a tenner plus postage.Nothing,the kind man said- which was nice.They arrived the next morning.

All the best,

Av curious.

25. Tim Ashdown

Tim Ashdown

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +78
    Sorry to hear about your troubles Nic. I'm also a bit late posting a reply. Agree with what AV says, I've always found kef excellent. I bought my 34ds rears from unilet sound & vision in New Malden. I got a very good price. I don't know if New Malden, Surrey is local to you, but if it is they have their blue murder sale, starting on April 28th. They are doing the 34ds for £379 a pair in black or white. They are ex-display, but you have to agree that is a bargain. If its the ones in their dem room, I can vouch for their excellence as I recently heard them through the Tag av32r/dvd32 combo. I had to wait four days for mine to arrive. Phone them and ask for a catalogue. If you want the speakers new, they are still doing a discount. But all the speakers come with a five year guarantee and they are authorised BADA dealers. I've spent what I would consider a lot of money with them in the past and I can't sing their praises highly enough. Hope this helps.

26. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    To bring people upto date:

Well the first order was cancelled and the second order palce with a dealer. We
    checked with Kef and they said they would build in in the third wek of April. I
    heard KEF tell the shop manager this date. At the end of April I chased things
    up and was told the date was now early may. I chased this up the other day to be
    told KEF now say about the 23rd May. Basically it appears KEF have been 'lying'
    about manufacture dates to the dealer and myself. This I think is unacceptable.
    The full story was relayed to the dealer originally about what had happened in
    the past, several times, to double and tripple check deleivery times and KEF
    assured us that this would not happen and they would definately be made on the
    stated date. Now we are at date three.

How long will this abuse of customer go on?

27. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    It's a shame to see them do it!
    Surely it's an embaressment!!!!!
    Come on KEF, pull your finger out.

For me, it's the little things that drive me crazy. Not being able to supply one pair of speakers to one customer would send me out into orbit. :mad: :mad: :mad:

Hope it gets resolved soon.
    Good luck.

[ 11-05-2001: Message edited by: General Skanky ]

28. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    I regret that I have to re surface this thread but it is not my fault. I have formally emailed enquiries@kef.com and have asked them to comment here publically. I have asked kef to comment on what has been happening here for all to see rather than replying to me or not commenting at all. I will be interested in their response.

To bring it upto date:

The 23rd May passed without delivery. I was then told definately the first week in June. At the end of this week I went to the shop concerned to collect and asked what was happening. No show. They phoned KEF and were told, in my ear shot, that they could definately guarantee delivery to me by the 15 June.

Guess what.....

I feel I have been more than patient and regret that we must ask KEF publically what is happening but I have given plenty of chances through the dealer to deliver to me. It is now time for them to face the public.

Let's not forget that I originally ordered these on the 28 Oct last year. That is almost 8 months ago.

Over to you KEF.....

29. Giles

Giles
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I love KEF speakers but I too have had the misfortune of not having emails replied to, VERY frustrating. Not even an automated responce saying my query will be dealt with soon etc.

Surely someone is reading these emails and if so, what do they do with them?

Its seems to be sub standard service from a company who, IMO, make excellent speakers. They really are letting themselves down.

30. Relay

Relay
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I too am very disappointed at KEF's refusal/inability to answer emails. I emailed a fairly simple question at the end of May re driver for the KEF 100 I own, having seen a message on the bulletin board suggesting it could be upgraded. No response to date.