1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

kef vs yamaha subs

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by dood, Apr 29, 2003.

1. dood

dood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    which are better price for price? I know a lot of you will say avoid both and go for the likes of REL, velodyne etc but in my country I'm restricted to kef and yamaha (at reasonable prices). I have a Yamaha SW320. On paper this is equivalent to a kef PSW 2000. Is the PSW 2000 better? The PSW 3000 seems like a sensible upgrade but does ot justify the substantial price difference and would it outdo the SW800? Sorry for all the questions but these would have to be ordered as none are available locally to demo.

2. Nunoc

Nunoc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,

Just 'Down South' from you and I've listen to the YST 320 and 800 and the KEF PSW3000 and PSW4000.

Depending on your budget and use (music/movies) would depend on the sub you should choose.

What speakers and kit do you have as I found the KEF subs to play better with some kit than others. The KEF also seemed to perform better with a Y cable plugged into the Left + Right inputs.

My friend has the YST800 and is very happy with it. For the price it really is pretty good in a movie only system. That and he plans on getting a second which comes in just over the price of a single KEF3000 about R11000 here. The YST800 goes for around R5200 from Hifi Corp. There is also the new YST1500 with remote control and claimed 16Hz but I figure that to be closer to -6db at 20Hz although that is just guess work based on the -10db the YST800 claimed at 18Hz

I would recommend the KEF3000 as better all round sub. The 4000 is really expensive. More than a Paradigm Servo 15 and doesn't go as low.

I know no one on this board likes Yamaha subs but again we don't have the choice or prices they enjoy. :hiya:

3. dood

dood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    Thanks for the response. My stuff comes from SA. I have Kef Q55.2 mains and 95.2 centre, old arcam delta 2 rears. There is a chance that I may upgrade to Q5, Q9C and Q1 if there is likely to be a significant improvement on what I already have.

4. Nunoc

Nunoc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You more than welcome.

FYI
    Got a friend who has got the KEF speakers you have. But he also has old KEF rears. Recently his one rear broke and he managed to get a replacement Q1 for it. He reckons it's much better than the older KEF. His busy saving to upgrade to latest Q series.

I've got 2x Q7 , 1x Q9c , 3x Q1 and 2x Q8s running off a Yamaha DSP-AZ2. I'm very happy with the setup in both audio be it stereo or DVD-A and movies as well. Haven't got a sub yet but looking to get one before the end of the year. Want to go and listen to the Paradigm Servo 15.

I know that people have not being to happy with the Q3 and some not with the Q5 or Q7 but most seem to agree that the Q1 is a great speaker.

I only went for the Q7 cause I wanted the extra bass response since I could not afford a sub at the time. If you got a sub then the Q5 will do just fine.

Happy Spending :smashin:

5. kelvin

kelvin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    On paper, as you say the two appear to be fairly evenly matched, however, from my experience the two are a world apart.

I demoed both the KEF, and the Yamaha around about a year ago when I was shopping around for my sub, and I walked away with the Yamaha. I tested the unit's with both Movie, and Music clips, and IMO, the Yamaha trounced the KEF on all fronts.

I found the KEF distorted fairly easily when pushed, and similarly it struggled to keep pace with a fast bass line. The Yamaha on the other hand didn't struggle in either respect. Build quality also seemed far better on the Yamaha.

Coupled with some of the problems outlined on this forum with regards to faulty power supplies, and "buzzing" units, I felt that the choice was an easy one.

I would presume, that the benefits of the Yamaha would carry through to the higher end units, and whilst I haven't heard the PSW3000, I wouldn't be totally surprised if the YST-800 bettered it. Ultimately though, it's your choice - get a demo of both if you can, and pick the one that you feel is right for you. Neither of these are going to be the greatest subs in the world, but they both have a good stab at what they've been designed for.

A year on, I'm still happy that I made the right choice :)

K.

6. tan1415

tan1415

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not sure if it's the same with you...but the YST W800 is being phased out and is really cheap. 250gbp/€400

i am not that crazy about the Kef2000.