Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Kef vs MS vs Wharfedales

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by @if ®afiq, Jun 5, 2004.

1. @if ®afiq

@if ®afiq

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    I'm planning on creating a new mini-cinema in my bedroom (it's a small loft that was converted into a bedroom around 5m x 4m - and is a really akwardly shaped room - esp. the ceiling).

I've shortened my list doen to Kef Coda 70's, 8.2's (maybe even 8.1 as they are nice and small) and possibly the MS902's (the MS302's seem very tiny - although I've mansged to get my hand on a pair for £42 :D so I will get the chance to try them out)

Both the Kef's and Wharfedales are front ported which is a plus as I can place them right next to the wall - which leads me to ask: "how far away from the wall must rear ported speakers (902's) be?) The Wharfedales centre is also rear ported - but the Coda centre is front - which is another plus for the Coda.

Off the top of my head the Wharfedales are also the biggest of the bunch (at least the 8.2's are - the 8.1's seem to be a good size).

The Wharfedales seem to have the best reviews out of the lot followed by the 309's - I've only managed to find one review on the Coda's

It looks like the Coda's might be the choice - but what do you guys/galls reckon???? :confused: :confused: :confused:

2. gover_1

gover_1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    hi, personally im a fan of kef, the build quality , customer service and sound quality is brilliant, i havn't heard the coda 70's myself, though i do have a pair of coda 7's (and coda 3's in another room) , i use them as rears with kef refrence speakers as fronts, connected the coda 7 up as fronts recently just to see what they are really like, for a cheap speaker (were about £100 new i think) they dont do to badly, there is a slight rattle at low frequencies caused by the grill, but this can be removed, there never going to beat a refrence speaker , but there not bad for the price / size. i also have some experience with some of the bookshelf whafdale speakers (diamond 8) these seemed quite good, as good as the coda 7. however i would recommend the kef set up as this way positioning will be a lot easyer thanks to the lack of rear porting, mark

3. @if ®afiq

@if ®afiq

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Thanks for the reply :)

I guess the Coda's it is - it really is a b!tch when you have no space - but also want good sound...