Kef vs MS vs Wharfedales

@if ®afiq

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm planning on creating a new mini-cinema in my bedroom (it's a small loft that was converted into a bedroom around 5m x 4m - and is a really akwardly shaped room - esp. the ceiling).

I've shortened my list doen to Kef Coda 70's, 8.2's (maybe even 8.1 as they are nice and small) and possibly the MS902's (the MS302's seem very tiny - although I've mansged to get my hand on a pair for £42 :D so I will get the chance to try them out)

Both the Kef's and Wharfedales are front ported which is a plus as I can place them right next to the wall - which leads me to ask: "how far away from the wall must rear ported speakers (902's) be?) The Wharfedales centre is also rear ported - but the Coda centre is front - which is another plus for the Coda.

Off the top of my head the Wharfedales are also the biggest of the bunch (at least the 8.2's are - the 8.1's seem to be a good size).

The Wharfedales seem to have the best reviews out of the lot followed by the 309's - I've only managed to find one review on the Coda's

It looks like the Coda's might be the choice - but what do you guys/galls reckon???? :confused: :confused: :confused:

hi, personally im a fan of kef, the build quality , customer service and sound quality is brilliant, i havn't heard the coda 70's myself, though i do have a pair of coda 7's (and coda 3's in another room) , i use them as rears with kef refrence speakers as fronts, connected the coda 7 up as fronts recently just to see what they are really like, for a cheap speaker (were about £100 new i think) they dont do to badly, there is a slight rattle at low frequencies caused by the grill, but this can be removed, there never going to beat a refrence speaker , but there not bad for the price / size. i also have some experience with some of the bookshelf whafdale speakers (diamond 8) these seemed quite good, as good as the coda 7. however i would recommend the kef set up as this way positioning will be a lot easyer thanks to the lack of rear porting, mark

Thanks for the reply :)

I guess the Coda's it is - it really is a b!tch when you have no space - but also want good sound...

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom