Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Kef upgrade dilema..............

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by cosmic023, Jun 4, 2004.

1. cosmic023

cosmic023

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    Ok need help on this one..........

I'm still in the process of building my new HC room, but are having a change of speakers and need help with choosing............ (yes i have done a exhausting search)

Well my "Magnum's" are going to another room, as a stereo pair......and my Kef Cresta center is still under review.

I want a 7.1 system for the new room, and was going to have x4 Cresta 1's for the rear surround, and maybe a pair of Q35 for the front mains to go with the Cresta center. Or do i ditch the center and get maybe a Q90 Center to match the Q35 ??

I can't really afford to buy a complete new speaker setup, so would like advice on the Q35 what are they like with Rock / Dance music ?? I've heard they are pretty bass light and need a sub to fill 'em out ??

Still on a search at the minute, but having a limited budget (£200 - £250) i'd have to buy 2nd hand.

What are your thoughts ??

Cheers

Cosmic023

I'll Keep searchin'...........i'm sure something will turn up ??

2. cosmic023

cosmic023

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    Well upgraditus has struck again and i'm selling the front cresta speaker setup, and will replace the cresta 1's in the future.

I've now got a Q95 center speaker, and need to find a suitable main pair.

From what i've read something like the Q30 or Q35/.2 (Either version) would make a good mains speaker ??

While i'm at it would the Q15 make a good surround speaker for a 7.1 setup ??

So folks what are your thoughts ??

3. cosmic023

cosmic023

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    Seems like plenty of people are hiding and not talkin' then !!

Nobody has any thoughts on this then ??

4. GaryG

GaryG
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I used to use 2 pairs of Q15's (sides and rears). They work best if you got a decent distance between them and your ears, if they're close you're better off with dipoles.

5. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    What about the Q55's? Or Q65's or even Q75's even though I have never seen the last 2 up for sale anywhere

6. cosmic023

cosmic023

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    DFour:

There are a set of Q30's and a pair of Q35 on ebay, right now.

I think these units would be a good choice, because everthing i'vr read about the Q series has impressed me.

And the fact it's gonna be 60/40 between movies & music, so i would like something i'm already used to but better clarity in the midrange & treble which was lacking in the Cresta units. (Especially with dance & rock music that sounded very muddy on these units)

Otherwise i'd have to change brands and looks for something else ??

Thanks for the advice.

Cheers

Cosmic023

Edit:

Ok i'm still looking at the B&W 602s3 floorstanders & LCR60 center. (But my memories of my 601's were they sounded too bright and fatiguing over time ?? Does that still apply to the newer versions ??)

7. parrydave

parrydave

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cosmic,

I have a kef setup at the moment that sounds very similar to what you're after. I have Q35.2 at the front, Q95.2 centre and Q15.2 rears. All were hooked up to my Sony str-db940 (until it died a couple of weeks ago!).

It sound(ed!) really good. Also have a REL sub, but the Q35.2s pack a fair punch by themselves.

In stereo, I use the Q35.2s a lot with an Arcam A85. Really enjoy their sound. Very good performance with both music and movies.

When I replace my AV amp (possible Denon 3805 or Arcam AVR300) i may upgrade speakers too. Only because I have the upgrade bug, not because they under perform. Would like to get something smaller with wall mounted rears. Don't have enough space for current Kefs (particularly at rear).

8. cosmic023

cosmic023

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    parrydave: Thanks for the info, just what i was after really.

I'm still happy to go with a pair of Q35 (Either version), it's just that most reviews said they were bass light with dance & rock music. And with the Q95 centre should be a good front setup.

I'll stick with the cresta 1's as rears for now, and upgrade them to Q15 at a later date. (When funds allows)

After all i'm still happy to use my Goodmans "Magnum K2's" for 2ch music in another room. (After reading about Billy Woodman who owns/designs for the ATC speaker co., Billy cut his teeth in designing loudspeakers for Goodmans back in the late 1960's and aparantly he designed the K2's as well) Very nice reference speaker, also owned the monster Wharefedale E70 loudspeakers.

http://www.hi-fiworld.co.uk/hfw/oldeworldehtml/wharfedalee70.html

Sorry for the :offtopic: ramblings, but then i've always been happy with 2ch and this AV stuff can get a bit confusing at times. That's why i'm asking all the questions.

Cheers

Cosmic023