KEF Upgrade Advice - Fronts / Centre

howardmg

Hi, I have a 14 year old KEF 3005 system, and advice on the AVR forum here is that when I upgrade our AVR, I should also consider upgrading the front and centre speaker. But the 3005 eggs would be fine for side and rear surrounds and ATMOS.

Happy to stick with KEF but would also consider B&W or others.

Happy to go used too.

Budget was thinking £500 - £1000.

I am restricted on size (cannot be wider than 7") and placement - the front speakers would be close to the corners and from reading here that means KEF Q500 / 550 would work better than Q acoustics 3050i as they dont have rear ports.

So for KEF was thinking Q500 / Q550 or maybe older iQ5?

Thanks very much,

Mark

PS AVR likely to be Arcam AVR550. Or Denom 3700 - not yet decided!

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Q550 is now -25% off, but you are still paying quite a bit more than Q150 or Q350 which would both do fine as you have subwoofer. Both bookshelf models can be run as sealed and few reviews/owners has mentioned they sound better like that. Especially the Q350 has quite strong upper bass boost so it sounds more controlled bungs on.

Ex-demo Q150:

Ex-demo Q650C

I would consider the Q350 bookshelf speakers + used 600mm speaker stands ~20£ and put the saved money in to better subwoofer if you were planning to use the Kef Egg package sub. But if you must have floorstanders then Q550.

Clearly Arcam AVR550 is better due to Dirac Live, but it doesn´t have eARC support and latest features, not hdmi 2.1 connections if you are planning to game with new consoles. I think the model came 2015 or so. As for buying Denon higher price (1100£) than it was when announced (999£), no! Wait few months or try to haggle under 1k£ price! You might want to ask Cinehome UK if they can do better deal if you lean to new Denon.

howardmg

Thanks for useful advice on KEFs, will look at bookshelf models too.

Arcam - suspect no HDMI 2.1 may be an issue for my sons...oh dear

gibbsy

KEF Q350

KEF Q250C

Will be a big upgrade from the Eggs. Buying from the same supplier can open up chances of discounts or freebies. You have to buy the grills separately so maybe try and have them thrown in. The Q350s have £100 off list. I've always managed to get at least 10% off KEF products.

howardmg

Thanks - definitely tempted on the Q350 / Q250 combo.

Any issue with putting the Q350s on some shelves rather than stands?

howardmg

Just looking again at my layout, I can position the front speakers maybe a foot forward from the rear wall, but given the small gaps between the screen and the side walls, the speakers would be pretty much adjacent to the side brick walls - so worried about issues that may cause.

Thinking about it probably would prefer using good bookshelf speakers - placed on wall mounts / brackets, ideally being able to angle away from wall

Is there a particular speaker I should look at that would work well, up to £1000 or even beyond if need be?

KEF LS50 maybe?

Or any other make - B&W / Dali etc - as long as would work ok with my KEF eggs....

Thanks very much

Mark

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Stands will cost 50-60£/pair for Q350, Fisual Dynami Duo 600mm for example.

BT77 Ultragrip Pro is one of the most popular wall bracket if you want to mount your speakers (tweeters at seated ear height). White and black at 39£.
Amazon product
You can use the port bungs supplied with Kefs and there is lot of feedback that they sound better anyway using the bungs. Also if you buy Denon it has the Mult EQ XT32 room correction and it will flatten the response as you get bit extra bass boost having them close to walls.

I would steer away from shelves, like putting box inside box. Highly unlikely that the shelves would be at correct height for the speakers and it`s going to "colour" the sound no doubt.

If you have tight space, small room and sit fairly close then you could also consider the Q150s as mains with Q250c.

GrazzaB

Distinguished Member
Hi @howardmg i recently went for Kef Q350s as L-C-R and they’re fantastic. Using a single 350 in horizontal position as a centre works superbly due to the uni-q driver (I’ll sell the spare Q350 soon, I just held onto it to make sure I was happy with the setup). Happy to answer any questions you have.

Cheers!

howardmg

Thanks for advice.

See used KEF R300s go for about £700, and then there are the LS50s for £1000. Clearly a lot more than £400 for Q350s - but would the step-up be significant?

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
LS50 is 550£ on sale as the new LS50 Meta came. Few in stores still.

Definitely you would use them with stands. And from what i remember they need decent space to sound best. Foot from front wall as you said shouldn`t cause issue. They used to sell these as each, not sure what is situation now as they are soon discontinued.

R300 would be more ideal for movie system and looking objective measurements it`s the better speaker also. You might have hard time finding matching center channel, R200c or R600c.

howardmg

Going up a notch in price, but would be interested if anyone can offer advice on suitability and quality of these options please, as fronts (positioned close to side walls):

ProAc Tablette
ATC SCM7 or SCM11
PMC DB1 / TB1

Guess would need compatible centres as well...

Thanks very much for any help

mc3105

Novice Member
Hi @howardmg i recently went for Kef Q350s as L-C-R and they’re fantastic. Using a single 350 in horizontal position as a centre works superbly due to the uni-q driver (I’ll sell the spare Q350 soon, I just held onto it to make sure I was happy with the setup). Happy to answer any questions you have.

Cheers!
Hi GrazzaB did you sell your spare KEF Q350?

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom