1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

kef thx sub ..what speaker cable if i split it ?

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by grahamricho, Jun 3, 2004.

1. grahamricho

grahamricho

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Hi after having a lot of trouble with my kef tdm 45b sub i have decided to split it !
    I have removed the amp module and rehoused it in a new box and made a blanking plate for the hole where the amp module used to be in the back of the sub ..All i need is some cable to join the two up ! i talked to Kef who said the voltages were quite high 200v to drive the bass unit, i have found some van damme pro speaker cable which can handle up to 250v.what current rating do i need ? I could use normal flex cable but wanted something a bit more exotic......any suggestions or thoughts on the idea ?
    I know vibe used to sell subs with a seperate amp which seems to me good sense.....My Kef suffered from a lot of overheating (bad ventalation) and was basically shock to death......I once had a television on top of the sub and never used it together cause i only used the sub with my projector,but once had the television on and sub at same time and it shock the hell out of the television sound cutting out /picture braking up etc. untill it died with multiple dry joints......any ideas ?

2. wookie

wookie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Instead of killing that amps damping factor (Long cables hurt the amps damping ability on the driver), why not mount the amp back in the cabinet with some 10mm spacers between the cabinet and amplifer panel.

a 10mm length of automotive fuel or vaccum hose per screw (you will need to find longer ones)should do!
    Simply tighten them all down just enough to "de-couple" the amplifer module.

You should then have a nice ventillation gap around the PSU etc.
    If you were intending to explore the subwoofers upper performance envelope, FIT A 12V FAN and external psu.

PS.. Continued sinewave stuff kills these class "D" designs.
    They are built for Transient power, short burst high level runs (Just like an LFE soundtrack) not a wave machine for the lounge...... :laugh:

3. wookie

wookie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :D

Hahaha Just re-read your post.

No wonder that TV died from Dry Joints!!!

4. grahamricho

grahamricho

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    hi been on to clive pitt from kef to see what cable would be suitable and he quoted 2.5mm pro audio the cable run i wanted was only going to be 5mts..graham

5. Support

Support

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Please be aware that KEF Audio (UK) Limited does not endorse or condone the product that you are selling on EBAY.

Please also take this as formal notification that KEF will not accept any responsibility for personal injury, damage or voided warranty as a result of this modification.