KEF TechTuesday- We want your feedback!

Discussion in 'Advertiser Exclusive Offers' started by KEF Audio UK, May 23, 2016.

Tags:
  1. KEF Audio UK

KEF Audio UK
    Standard Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hello all!

We here at KEF will be continuing our TechTuesday feature: A chance to explore KEF’s clever technologies, their benefits and applications as well as looking at our very own products.

Ideally we will be starting a series of "How to" videos. So, this is where you come in. What would you like to see? Is there something you feel would have been really beneficial to you when setting up your new LS50s? Or perhaps there is something about the KEF REFERENCE that you'd love us to go into further detail about?

Either way we'd love to hear from you!

Thanks

KEF

2. hifix

hifix
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,421
    I say, start at the top and work your way down. Only when people understand why a speaker does what it does, and why it sounds the way it does, can they fully appreciate what the speaker is AND isn't doing. Only then can they appreciate why a speaker like the LS50 is so unique at its price point. So I say start by telling everyone why Blades sound as good as they do. Why do they sound good even with seemingly badly mastered material?

Just my opinion... :)

3. Streamer16

Streamer16

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    I'd like to see Kef market a reasonably priced kit containing replacement parts for my Kef 104s.

4. Hillskill

Hillskill
    Moderator/Games Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,451
    Videos I'd like to see....

Meet the range

Which speakers lend themselves best to certain applications (for example R series 800 DS range)

Optimum speaker placement

Atmos setup and configs

Bi-amping and Bi-wiring - worth it?

Speaker tech

Behind the scenes at manufacturing

R&D - what does the future hold? Tech hasn't moved on massively in loud speakers...at least on the face of it. how do Kef continue to innovate?

Science of sound - this would need to be handled right but I think there would be a lot of interest. Joe public would not know their minds from their trebles. A little series which helped people through terminology and what the terminology actually refers to would be popular.

Trouble shooting - how and when to use room treatment or room correction software.

Power amps and their benefits when used with Kef Speakers

Kef history

I could go on and on :)

5. L4dva

L4dva

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Mentioned above but speaker placement and understanding how/why sound can be tweaked/improved?

I have noticed my KEF IQ3’s sound a lot more bassy when I’m standing to one side of the room than they do when I’m sitting right in front of them – at which point they sound like there isn’t enough bass! The speakers came with a sponge piece to block the bass ports I don’t actually have a clue what these do? A video that demonstrates how to place your speakers properly, explains why can they sound so different in different parts of the room, and what normal customers who haven’t got the technical knowhow can do to get the best from your products? I think that would be really useful.

6. KEF Audio UK

KEF Audio UK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Thanks for your contribution so far guys! Absolutely fantastic.

7. martimu

martimu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +540
    I think you should just stick a GoPro on Johan and see what happens ;)

8. eddiewww

eddiewww

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +184
    speaker placement and room treatment is one that really needs tackled...lots out there on the net, but as always cant see the wood from the trees. Either a studio setup or someone advising to stick a rug down... something in the middle would be great detailing what acceptable looking bass traps etc are out there and showing what they can achieve.

9. michaelwei

michaelwei
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Any suggestions for an AVR?
    I own a pair of R700s and a Cambridge audio CXA80

10. Southern soul

Southern soul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    Speaker placement problems seem to be the bug bearer, although my old ls50's didn't have a problem integrating into my system/room the R300's & R500's suffered with excessive bass, this required the outer bungs to tame the beasts, maybe innovation into a front ported standmount speaker slotted in between the ls50 and the ref 1 would be a way forward, and in real wood finishes like the old days!

11. Doomlord_uk

Doomlord_uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +254
    "Bi-amping and Bi-wiring - worth it?"

No. :)

But advice on choosing an amplifier to match Kef speakers could be interesting.

12. Doomlord_uk

Doomlord_uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +254
    Which products by other manufacturers do you consider inspirational? Either historically or currently... Do you use any of these as references? What about other reference equipment you use in design and development?

13. hifix

hifix
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,421
    It'd be like watching Judith Chalmers on a motorbike

14. Doomlord_uk

Doomlord_uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +254
    How do you prioritise elements of design, such as controlling dispersion, off-axis response, cross-over slopes etc? There is as you know a wide variety of approaches taken by manufacturers, with some placing priorities in very different areas...

Do you find that there are aspects of design that people are more or less sensitive to? Harmon International are on public record about their research saying that some things make little difference, others a lot; and that consequently some speakers can sound very similar indeed, even if they are visually very different, or cost different amounts.

Don't you find that as your effective speaker manufacturing budget increases, that you converge on what an ideal loudspeaker should sound like? Do you think there's an upper limit beyond which there's no point spending money?

Regarding the LS50s - it seems to me the front baffle has a compound curved surface that is spherical. Yet, where the front baffle meets the sides - which are resolutely rectangular - you simply chop off the front baffle. How much is the front baffle design based on controlled disperson and how much on aesthetics?

Would a sealed LS50 cabinet not have offered a better time-domain performance (even at the cost of bass extension)? I haven't looked at your website but is there a subwoofer, or type of subwoofer, you feel is an idea match for the LS50?

Has the X300A project led you to consider more active (and digital) designs in future?

15. martimu

martimu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +540
    What happened to the ACE granules btw? Worked well in the 9000's and wondered why it never made it's way to a subwoofer which seemed like the perfect application

16. KEF Audio UK

KEF Audio UK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hey @martimu we do use it in Muons. We have no immediate plans to use it on anything else soon, but we never say never. :)