1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kef Tdm45b

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Matt F, Jun 30, 2002.

1. Matt F

Matt F

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    A couple of quick questions on this subwoofer:

A lot of reports claim it goes pretty low which isn't surprising given that it's got a 15" cone and a 300 watt amp. However, KEF's spec says it only goes down to 35Hz +/-3dB - this seems really odd to me - I would have thought you'd be looking at 20Hz - can anyone explain?

Secondly - any comments on the performance of this sub for movies only (not for music as I have big floorstanders so I don't bring the sub into play)?

Many thanks,

Matt.

2. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Kef seem to have a habit of understanding the bass response of not only their subs but also their speakers. If you read the blurb for the TDM45B on their site, it says the sub goes down to 15Hz.

THX certification for a sub requires a flat response down to 22Hz, with a minimum output of -6 @ 20 Hz (as far as I can remember), so any THX certified sub will undoubtedly satisfy your bass requirements.

3. Matt F

Matt F

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thanks for that - I never thought to check the THX specs - I have now - their website says "THX Subwoofers must have an in-room flat frequency response down to 20 Hz".

This makes it all the more bafling as to why KEF quote 35Hz +/-3dB for their THX certified sub - maybe they measure them in an aircraft hanger with an SPL meter 50 yards away!

Sounds like the TDM45B might not be a bad bet then - mind you, if Servo 15s were still available then I wouldn't even be looking at the KEF.

Matt.

4. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Personally I don't know why Rel Q series get such a bad press on this forum. I have a Q201E, and the bass is magnificant in terms of tightness and precision. According to my tone test CD, I get usable energy in my room down to 16Hz from this sub. I wouldn't change it for anything.

I guess it's a question of how well the sub works in your listening room, and how well you set it up...

5. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +834
    Exactly!:)

6. Matt F

Matt F

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Not being funny but is your above response meant for this particular thread? I say this as we've been talking about the KEF TDM45B and THX subwoofer specs in this thread - we haven't even mentioned the REL Q series let alone given them any bad press.

For what it's worth, however, I agree with what you say and own a Q200 myself.

Matt.

7. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah I did respond to the right thread...I used to own a Kef sub and now own the Rel. All my speakers are Kef, so I am quite familiar with them.

8. Matt F

Matt F

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Oh well, fair enough, I just thought you went off on a bit of a tangent. It's funny 'cus I used to have an REL Q50 and then upgraded to my current Q200 - the latter is faster and tighter than the Q50 but, to my ears, the Q50 seemed to be just a little bit deeper - maybe it was just less controlled.

I was quite happy with the Q200 until I changed my main speakers from M&K750s to KEF Ref 2-2s. Now the 2-2s are wonderful and the bass from them, in my room, is great and goes pretty low - I'd estimate low 30s Hz but now it seems as though the Q200 doesn't add much below this - almost as if the 2-2s are going down to 30Hz and the Q200 down to 25Hz. That's why I'm on the lookout for a sub that can really plummit the depths such as the TDM45B or the illusive Paradigm Servo 15.

By the way, what is your test tone disc called and where can I get one (I have an SPL meter) - I'd love to know just how low both the sub and the mains are going in my room - probably find my estimates are well off the mark.

Matt.

9. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    It is quite simple really. There have been some reliability / hum issues and the performance from some models and they aren't class leading in comparison to some (all subs caome in for some criticism so it is not confined to Rel). Worst offenders are the Q150, gets a little better with 200 / 201 but the Rel range are most interesting in the ST range or the old big Q bass type subs. The 150 / 200 are cute and small but unfortunately the way Rel has designed them means there is a performance penalty (distortion). Similar sized units from other manufacturers work better (but at much more money). Re distortion, I think even Rel acknowledge this and will launch a DSP system shortly to help. Rel also do themselves no favours re specs as nicely pointed out by MattF, now what if you have to quote 0db flat freq range rather than -3dB or -6db, then you see the real men from the boys....

Really? So if I offered you two Velodyne servo units you would say no?

I am also a Rel owner but I know it's limitations......all subs have them, we just need to know what they are. I think this is half the battle with getting working well in the room.

10. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In my listening room I wouldn't want anything bigger, either physically, or in terms of sound.

Few people here seem familiar with the concept of being happy with your system. The fact is there's always something or other you can upgrade to. The trick is to find a sound you are happy with or can at least live with. It's taken me a while (for my whole system, not just the sub), but I am now happy with the sound and picture to the point where I would be terrified to change anything, and moreover have no need...

11. nfordenfield

nfordenfield
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Lived with a 45B for a couple of months, then sold it and got a KEF AV1, then got another AV1. Also a lover of KEF speakers, nothing to do with the wife working there honest. Run 3.2 and 200c with 2 pairs of 34ds. Am I happy with it - YES would I change anything - YES.

Check out these specs for the KEF PSW5000.

Design Bass reflex, downward firing

Drive unit LF: 380 mm (15") long-throw

Frequency response at 15°
    horizontally off axis ±3 dB 18 Hz - 250 Hz

LF Corner -6 dB 16 Hz

Amplifier requirements 1000 W built in

Sensitivity (2.83V/1m) Active system

Maximum output 118 dB

Impedance Active system

Weight 60 kg (132 lbs)

Dimensions
    (H x W x D) 545 x 590 x 590 mm
    21.5 x 23.2 x 23.2 in.

Finishes Black Ash, Maple or Cherry wood veneer.

I'll have two then

Rgds

Nathan

P.S. I think most people are very happy with their systems, otherwise they would not have bought them. I love sitting down to watch a film. That is the reward of this hobby, I am always swatting up on improvements and tweaks. It is just down to money, can find the time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If anyone is not happy with their system then sell it give me the money and i'll have a system to die for.

12. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    Good for you. Well said, it is nice to hear someone happy.:)

(The Velodyne is the same size as you 200, which is why I suggested it)