1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

kef tdm23/23c/34ds thx speakers

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by fatrich, Jul 9, 2001.

1. fatrich

fatrich

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    this is one for a experts out there, i'm seriously thinking of buying this system and want to know a few things;

room size is 12'8 by 9ft wide is the room too small for this system (it is a dedicated cinema room)

what kind of speaker cable is recommended (are they bi-wirable)

rear speaker placement where down the side walls and how mhigh do you need to place them.

Just bought a relQ200 sub so not bothered about the 45b sub.

many thanks

fatrich

2. gwbailey

gwbailey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    fatrich, funny you should ask that coz I'm in the same boat as well!

Just to add a few more questions;

1) Would a Model 200C work (timbre matching) instead of the TDM 23C? (as it's a bit smaller and it'll fit under TV!)

2) I want to add surround EX, but as I've only got a small living my sofa is pushed up against the back wall. so would it still work with a pair of TDM 34DS close behind my head?

What I was thinking was having a pair of 34DS down the sides and (possibly) two Kef Ci 130 DS mounted in the ceiling! would this work? (timbre matching)

If not the Ci 130 DS, how about a pair of M&K Sw-85's in the ceiling? (timbre matching) again with the 34DS down the sides!
    Don't laugh! I've heard a set of M&K ceiling mounts and they work and sound great!

3) again how high should they be above the listeners head? front and back?

If anyone can help please do, as I'd be very grateful indeed.

Thanks,
    Graham

3. Rob

Rob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33

4. titan

titan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK i own these speakers so i will try to help.

fatrich in order

Your room is considerably larger than my current dedicated room (although this is only temporary) and it sounds excellent. there are certain problems with placing a large sub in a small room but the rest of the system sounds fantastic when properly calibrated. though it would like the extra space in order to really stretrch its legs so to speak.

They are not bi-wirable. i personally dont believe in the so called benifits of biwiring, no one can explaint the science to me in order to make me believe it. bi amping is anouther matter but as i say is it not applicable to these speakers.
    Speaker wire is anouther one i dont believe in. just choose a 100% oxygen free copper with a large guage. others will disagree.

I agree that the sub is the weakest link in this package but only in so much as i am having difficulty setting it up properly in my small room, i cant seem to get it right. it is however capable of producing some poweful bass its very qiuck but i find it has a little trouble with the lowest sustained bass notes (earthquakes etcc)

gwbaily in order
    The 200c would be a good match as they share the same tweeter, i also have a centre100 and found it is a good match in the upper frequencies but doesnt quite have the same tone, its also not as revealing. personally however i would seriously compare the two before you sacrifice tonal integrity with the conveniance of the 200c. i know i wouldent do it.

i have no experience with ex yet.

hope this helps. i would like to add at the risk of sounding like a kef rep that these spekers made the most dramatic influence on the quality of sound in my home theatre than any single other component i have baught. i cannot recomend them enough.

nathan

5. Ron Locke

Ron Locke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Guys,

Nice to see that the advice given is top grade, you guys certainly know your stuff when it comes to quality AV.
    The THX package should always be used together, the M200C would give a different effect due to the wide dispersion of the UNI-Q, THX conforming speakers have a very narrow vocal spread.
    As for rear effects, the TDM34DS do have two UNI-Q drivers which actually help the diffuse sound field by delivering a much greater spread of sound (to give you the feeling of having more speakers at rear).
    THX actually use the TDM34DS as their reference at the THX ranch.

Well done all, I'm very impressed!!

Regards

Ron Locke

KEF Audio (UK)

6. fatrich

fatrich

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    thanks to titan and ron for taking time out to answer my questions.

cheers

fatrich

7. mikeaitch

mikeaitch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    Ron:

Nice to see that manufacturers are taking notice of their customers!

Would a TDM centre be an acceptable substitute for the 200C when used with reference 1,2s? I know that it is designed for THX, but opinions vary as to which is the better speaker overall and availability of the 200 seems a little limited, and the TDM is cheaper! I have the Denon 3801- is this capable of keeping up with the speakers (rears are 65DSs) or should I look to adding power amps as a future upgrade?
    One last question- how good are the reference in wall speakers compared to the rest of the Kef range?
    Thanks in anticipation

8. Ron Locke

Ron Locke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Morpheus,

If you are using Reference 1's or 2's then ideally you should use either the KEF M100C or the KEF M200C, these have the same UNI-Q driver array as the Ref's thus achieving an exact vocal/sonic match.
    The TDM23c is a cracking centre speaker though has a very narrow vocal spread (completely the opposite to the UNI-Q system). It also has a higher frequency response of 80Hz-20kHz whereas the the M200C goes from 55Hz-20kHz with an LF corner @-6dB of 40Hz(so a much weightier centre speaker). Even the the M100 goes down to 70Hz.
    In summary the M100 or M200 are the centres to go for, though it really does come down to your own personal preferences.

Hope this helps!!

Best Regards

Ron ;)

9. Ron Locke

Ron Locke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry, me again, I got so caught up in answering the centre question I neglected your others.
    The Denon AVR3801 is perfect for the job of driving the KEF speakers, Denon themselves actually use our speakers (THX series) for all their Hi-end AV dems, and they have always raved about the two companies compatibilty.
    We use Denon here at KEF on a regular basis, with excellent results.

Our Reference series in-wall range are an excellent alternative for those who want audiophile quality speakers without large obtrusive boxes, they still conform to the 0.5dB tolerance of the flagship range.
    The drive units are exactly the same as the Reference series, so perfect for discrete AV matching.

Hope this answers all your questions.

Regards

Ron :D

10. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    I ws suitabley impressed with the Kef gear when i did my work experience at Denon, the THX system was used with an AVC-A1D, and the sub would make the room shake!

11. mikeaitch

mikeaitch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    Thanks Ron (and Retro!)

200 it is then, looks like I'll have to be patient and wait for one, I reckon I'd always be wondering how much better the 200 was if I went for the 100, and I'm finally getting a system together that I'm not looking to constantly upgrade!

Missus won't be happy though :rolleyes:

Just sold my old Q55s to a mate to help finance the deal :D so just my REL strata Mk 1 to go- or should I keep it and add another?
    Glad to hear that other people rate the 3801; only paid £600 ish for it - great value!!

Anyway, thanks again :cool: