KEF TDM THX Speakers & Ebay

Cool-hand

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi all

I have just brought the Kef THX tdm 5.1 speaker package at a good price including two stands for the left and right speaker.
They are all in mint condition (or so im told) inc. the sub.

The stands are not the normal ones seen on the KEF website but are apparently proper Kef stands. (not seen a pic of them yet).
They are the same shape as the speakers themselves so the L/R speakers look like one tall speaker.

Has anyone seen these before/know a site address i can view them? I pick them up tomorrow and am paying cash so if it doesn't look good/original i can re-haggle or walk away which is not what i want to do:confused:

Do the cloth/grills cover the complete speaker. Ie the top and bottom, so if i put white grills on the black base and top is covered?

Many thanks

CH

Need a good thx amp now to match:)

Ebay is awash with Denon and Arcam and THX gear at the moment.... Whats going on out there............:eek:

I was also curious to see what they look like. You are right in saying they are also proper Kef stands, but Kef don't talk about them much. I didn't like the idea of the stands being the same size as the speakers because I thought it would be to imposing and I've heard they're wooden as apposed to metal (don't know how accurate that is or if its a good or bad thing:confused: ). The speaker cloths do not cover the top or bottom. The plates at the top and bottom hold the material in place with velcro, which means you will need new plates if you change the colour (Black on white might look quite cool). The normal stands actually fit inside the speaker where the plate would go. So if you know anyone with the white speakers the chances are if they are on stands, then they're not using their bottom face plates. Maybe they would do a swap if they wanted to go black. Hope this helps (and makes sense:D )

Hi Tim

Thanks that does help. I am going to stick to black though. I was considering changing the surround speakers to white so as to not darken the entire room colour.

Correct the stands are wooden, im hoping i can fill them with sand if their hollow but i've been told by seller they weigh as much as the speakers themselves (bout 15kg i think). Still i will see tomorrow and post my findings.

I would have thought Kef didn't push these stands as they weren't too popular (a guess) but the seller swears they look way better and that i will like them in the flesh.

Kef want £200 for the other stands ((typical kef rip-off) to kef's normal standards)! And they nolonger have the wall mount brackets which is what i would have prefered.

Anyone want to swap?

Thanks

CH

I'd be interested to know how these speakers perform driven by a Denon 3803 amp (I am looking at getting the same but have been advices the 4ohm load might not be godo for the amp)

Also, I'm an ebay seller - you have bought the goods now, no haggling is allowed! That's an auction for you

Hi Dodgey

I will probably never know as I have my 3802 all boxed up and ready to ship to an ebayer right now. Auction ends in a few days!

I have got the THX speakers in my care now and the stands (which I had not seen) look really really hot. Im well chuffed with my buy and will reward myself a good drink this weekend for my skillful financial negotiations :D

I had forgotten how big they are. They are MONOLITHIC:eek:
not excatly wife friendly but shes coming round (probably cos their hidden under the stairs for now) :(

Tim, they are very imposing (absoultey what im against(and what i intended to buy!!)) but they look like Towers o' Power.
The stands are wooden and quite heavy, in places over 1.5" thick. They have an open back so they can be weighted down further if required but they are very steady on the stands.

I will try to borrow a digi-camera to show you a few pics ok.

Rgds

Steve

Oh and the wooded plates which sit on top and on the bottom of the speakers (and also clamps the velcro cloth fasteners down are White on one side and Black on the other so with a bit of handywork they are reversible. Great!!

Cheers Steve,
I'd be intrigued to see what they look like. I think I might have to ebay my speakers as well as I'm having no joy at all. Suddenly everybody already owns them. :rolleyes:

Originally posted by Tim Ashdown
Cheers Steve,
I'd be intrigued to see what they look like. I think I might have to ebay my speakers as well as I'm having no joy at all. Suddenly everybody already owns them. :rolleyes:

Oh yeah Tim, try and find somebody in the UK thats doesn't own a pair ;) There as common as muck ;)

I rarely bother with here first and got straight to Ebay (I keep getting banned here:confused: )

The best I could get for my old sub here was £50 (and the buyer wanted me to pay p&p!!) It sold on Ebay for £160 plus 20 p&p.

Rgds

CH

ps. It was a MK1 PSW2000

Hi

As promised here are some pictures of the KEF wooden stands. Sorry the pics aren't too hot but they were difficult to get right because or their colour...

Front

Attachments

• kef_1.jpg
    kef_1.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 359
I have photo enhanced this to brighten up the pic. It looks tiny when your trying to keep it down to 500 x 500.

The whole speaker on stand.

Attachments

• kef_4.jpg
    kef_4.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 147
They are very big indeed. The overall hight is 128cm and the bottom of the base is 44cm at its widest point which is at the back.
I should have taken a pic of the top of the stand to show how the speaker locates on the stand but i forgot. Sorry. But would imagine its the same as the other stands!? yeah?

Only thing i was surprised about was that they are not bi or tri-wireable! Odd, but there you have it!

CH

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom