1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

KEF TDM sub level with Denon THX amp

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Jules, Sep 3, 2003.

1. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +721
    If you own a Denon THX amp like the A1SE (as I do) and the the KEF THX speaker package I'd like to know what your speaker level settings are.

The sub has a THX mode setting that is supposed to let the amp do the crossover bit, and sets the output level match the amps sub out.

However with the KEF THX package and all speakers set to 0db, all speakers 'small' and the sub in THX mode, the sub level appears to be way to loud.
    If I leave everything on 0 db and watch an action DVD, the sub almost blows itself apart with the LFE.

I've ended up setting the sub to -12db, and the other speakers to around +2db.
    That's a 14db difference which seems wrong for a complete matching THX setup.

I know the Denon/KEF THX partnership is popular one so there must be loads of people here with experience of this.
    How is yours set up?

2. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Use a sound pressure meter and set all speakers to the same with the test tone (ie 75 or 85dB on the spl meter)

You don't set the volume by looking at at each channel adjustment and setting the same, espeically concerning the subwoofer.

3. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +721
    Already done that... my digital SPL metre bouces all over the place with the sub test tones (even in 'slow' mode).

Nevertheless, its been setup with AVIA and it would appear that in my room this 14db difference is ok.

But it seems so wrong in theory with a matching THX setup.
    I would have thought the sub would be designed to generate the same SPL as the other speakers in the set when they are all delivered a balanced signal from a THX amp.

I just wondered if anyone else has the same experience.