1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kef TDM 34DS

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Tim Cooper, Apr 29, 2002.

1. Tim Cooper

Tim Cooper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    I need some advice on an upgrade i plan to make soonish;)
    I have a all kef system comprising of the kef Q65 fronts ref center 200C & the Q65ds surrounds i am gradually upgrading (by stealth:D ) and i need some advice on the TDM 34ds,are these speakers worth the money i've not heard them personally.
    Would i be better buying M&K tri-poles or is the timbre really mis-matched, i will eventually have a pair of reference two fronts.
    Thanks in advance
    Tim

2. ilkand

ilkand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I compared the 34ds and the 65ds and eventually bought the 65ds. The 34ds was a better speaker, but there was not that much in it. The sound was quite similar, they are both dipole, but the 34ds had that bit more somehow. I felt the 65ds were better suited to my system, which includes the c100.
    When the 65ds was still being made, they were shown as an 'A' match (in Kef's matching guide) for reference 2s, but when the 2s changed to 2.2s and the 65ds were discontinued, the 34ds became the new 'A' match.
    The 34ds still cost quite a bit.

3. Mark Ward

Mark Ward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I had Q55 fronts and like you was gradually upgrading by stealth. I replaced my Q15 surrounds with the TDMs and found them to be a fabulous match for the Q's, and also integrate perfectly with the Kef Refernce 2.2s I now have.

One thing to be sure of is that you have room to position them properly, they are not small! Best place high to the sides with the bass driver pointed at the listening position. I can't actually do this, but they still sound fantastic to me.

If it's any help www.unilet.net have TDM34DS NEW for £500 in their sale.

Mark.

4. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +893
    They are excellent speakers, make sure the positioning is correct and you´ll be very impressed.

The deal at Unilet is excellent, 500 quid new!! They´ll tonally match your other kit as well which is another important thing to consider.

5. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    They are GREAT speaker, well worth the money. An interesting thread on Tag web site once had EVERYONE agreeing that these KEFs were the bee knees. Highly recommended for dipoles.

6. Plump

Plump
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Dominic.

How are the grilles of TDM34DS build?
    Soft way or the hard way as on Ref. Series?

I am keen to replace my q15 on the rears with these dipoles, but am afraid my kid could easily poke thru the grilles (if soft)

Cheers

7. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    They are a soft 'sock' that goes around the speaker and is held in place by two shinny mdf boards on velcro. Sounds odd but works quite well. It will allow change of colour relatively easily.

Fabric is quite firm so unless a pencil is poke in it is reasonably good.

8. Tim Cooper

Tim Cooper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    Thanks for the input guys,
    I get the general impression that these are good speakers, are they more "in yer face" than the Q65ds i find these a little "polite" i.e to much finesse not enough grunt; or is it the di-pole *experience*.Also are they leaps & bounds better than the q65ds or only marginally so........i guess i should audition a pair to make up my mind or would some kind soul rip theirs off the wall shoot over to me in Essex to let me have a listen.........then i woke up :D :D :D
    Are there any other rears that go well with the Kef front & center that i have?
    Why don't Kef do a bi-pole or a tri-pole......hmmmmmm
    Cheers
    Tim

9. gwbailey

gwbailey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Has anyone used this site?

If so, what are they like?

Cheers,