Kef T301 vs 3001SE

Pumauk

Currently using 4x 3001SE as surrounds but was considering swapping them out for T301’s, mainly for an aesthetic point of view.

Are the T301 noticeably more capable than the 3001’s or would any difference in sound be minimal?

Thanks

Last edited:

gibbsy

There would not be a lot in it, T305 would be better because of their bigger dimensions. You would literally be swopping them for aesthetics. They are designed to work at their best fixed to the wall.

Pumauk

There would not be a lot in it, T305 would be better because of their bigger dimensions. You would literally be swopping them for aesthetics. They are designed to work at their best fixed to the wall.
Thanks, are there any other speakers in a similar design that might be better suited?

gibbsy

The T305s will give a better performance over the Eggs. There's not going to be a lot in it. The T Series were touted as a quality replacement for the old Eggs. I ran 3005s for a long time and really liked them. To get a better performance you should go for standmounts. Even the small Q150s will give a better overall performance than either the Eggs or the T Series.

There are better on wall speakers available but it all depends on how deep your pockets are.

ShanePJ

AVForums Sponsor
Having heard what the KHT3005's sound like compared to the both the t-105 and t-305, I can tell you the t-105 are ever so lightly better than the original KHT3005 eggs when optimised to their full potential and then you have steps up with performance boasts to the T-205 and again with the t-305 :)

gibbsy

Would R100's be noticeably better than 3001SE's / T301's?
I upgraded from 3005 Eggs to R100s. It's a no contest, the R100s are a class act. I still have them on surround duties now.

ShanePJ

AVForums Sponsor
Are there any angled brackets available for the T301's? Seems odd to use them for surrounds when they cannot be toed in at all.
If you are going to mount them directly to the wall (they have mounting sections built into the speakers for flush wall mounting), I would use Kef's stands which have a crossovers alteration built into them to help the speakers perform better as they do not work the best when mounted away from the wall. The reason behind this is the speaker uses the wall to produce some of its sound :)