Question KEF T205 worth it for the money?

Niami123

Novice Member
I'm looking to build a 5.1.2 setup, and I would be able to get my hands on a following (used) set for 1300€ (~1150£):

2 x KEF T301 for front left-right
1 x KEF T301c for center
4 x KEF T101 for rear + ceiling
1 x KEF T101C (just gonna sell it)
1 x T2 SUB
2 x T Stand (also gonna sell these)

Here is a scetch of my floor plan where I would be using the setup:
1610955852939.png

Just wondering if this is still a good deal for this kind of money in 2021?

ShanePJ

AVForums Sponsor
So long as you are going to wall mount the t-series speakers you could be fine with the ones you have picked, however a room 4.5m by 6m will require a better woofer to than what the T-Series woofer can offer. This is because woofer will want to fill the entire volume of the room

Can I ask what avr you are looking to pair with the speakers as I've always found that the T-Series gets better with better calibration software. The best I've ever heard the T-Series is with an Anthem av receiver. It was staggering how alive the room will sound, yet compromise on the amp and you could in that size of room create a lifeless system which only tickles your enjoyment

For a woofer, look towards something from SVS, Rel or Velodyne

Niami123

Novice Member
So long as you are going to wall mount the t-series speakers you could be fine with the ones you have picked, however a room 4.5m by 6m will require a better woofer to than what the T-Series woofer can offer. This is because woofer will want to fill the entire volume of the room

Can I ask what avr you are looking to pair with the speakers as I've always found that the T-Series gets better with better calibration software. The best I've ever heard the T-Series is with an Anthem av receiver. It was staggering how alive the room will sound, yet compromise on the amp and you could in that size of room create a lifeless system which only tickles your enjoyment

For a woofer, look towards something from SVS, Rel or Velodyne
Thanks for the answer! I'm using Denon AVR-X2300W as my receiver, but I actually allready went ahead and bought the set, as I managed to squeeze 150€ off the price, so at the end I got the whole set for 1150€. I have allready installed the 3.1 part of the system, and will install the rest next week. As for the subwoofer, I think I'm satisfied for it to be a little underpowered, because I live in an appartment building and I allready got little worried about disturbing my neighbours even with the T2-sub :D

Do you have any advice on how should I set up the surround-speakers? I'm currently pondering between three options:
1. Flat against the backwall
2. Angled against the backwall
3. Flat against the sidewalls, but on different distances from MLP

I updated my floorplan to be a bit more accurate, and marked the different options to the picture below:

1611422305948.png

GreenIT

Hello Niami123,

I am curious to know - How did your KEF T-series install go? I have recently bought a Q500 floor standing pair and planning to add T301 and T101 for 5.1.2 setup.
Looking forward to hearing from you !

Niami123

Novice Member
Hello! The installation went well, even though I decided to leave out the Atmos speakers for now (or rather my better half decided :D), I might do it later though, as I did get an extra pair of T101's in the set I bought. As for my side surrounds, I decided to go for the side installation, so right now I have setup my speakers something like this:

kef-installation.png

I've had a chance to watch few movies now in 5.1 and even though the left speaker is placed a little forward from the couch and it's on different distance, it still sounds pretty good when you are sitting on the middle or left side of the couch. You can definetely get a sensation of Surround Sound. I calibrated the sound with Denon X2300W's Audyssey microphone, and it is doing good job compansating the distance difference between the speakers.

GreenIT

Hello! The installation went well, even though I decided to leave out the Atmos speakers for now (or rather my better half decided :D), I might do it later though, as I did get an extra pair of T101's in the set I bought. As for my side surrounds, I decided to go for the side installation, so right now I have setup my speakers something like this:

View attachment 1462987

I've had a chance to watch few movies now in 5.1 and even though the left speaker is placed a little forward from the couch and it's on different distance, it still sounds pretty good when you are sitting on the middle or left side of the couch. You can definetely get a sensation of Surround Sound. I calibrated the sound with Denon X2300W's Audyssey microphone, and it is doing good job compansating the distance difference between the speakers.
Niami123,
Thanks for the detailed reply and the floor plan ! I also have a Denon X2300W and based on your reponse - I will definitely consider the KEF T-series as the top contender. One more thing - Is the floor plan showing subwoofer placed at the back wall ?
Thanks once again !
best,
Sayan

Niami123

Novice Member
Niami123,
Thanks for the detailed reply and the floor plan ! I also have a Denon X2300W and based on your reponse - I will definitely consider the KEF T-series as the top contender. One more thing - Is the floor plan showing subwoofer placed at the back wall ?
Thanks once again !
best,
Sayan
Hey! Subwoofer is actually on the TV-stand, partly behind the TV, facing the sofa.

The latest video from AVForums

LG G1 OLED Evo TV and SVS SB-1000 Pro subwoofer reviews, Samsung OLED rumours and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom