kef subwoofers

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by blu disc, Feb 3, 2009.

1. blu disc

blu disc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    I recently posted on the faulty kef subwoofer thread as my psw2010 recently packed up, its just over 4 years old.
    I have had numerous telephone conversations and e mails to kef about the reliability of these units, they say they have sold over 600,000 of these units and that only about 1% of them have been at fault and the people on these forums will only post about problems and not about good units, as they have a member on this forum. I have my new amp on order and its set me back £113 delivered cant afford a new one. Could anyone who is satisfied with their kef subs please post on this thread as i am very curious about the percentage of failures they claim.

cheers dan :smashin:

2. Member 639844

Member 639844
    Former Advertiser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,182
    My brothers is faulty im afraid.
    It is true though that people are hardly going to log on and start a thread to tell the world that their sub is working just fine.

What I would point to is the fact that no other sub brand, and the 2010 model in particular has anywhere near the amount of posts detailing faults. I cant think of a single other brand that suffers as bad as this. Ive heard of a couple B&W subs going (PV1) and some less known brands having the occasional outage but thats about it. Ive seen the odd old Rel go down but ive found them as reliable as morning.

An pole along the lines of 'is your kef sub faulty, yes or no', would have been the way to go though I think.

3. releaseyourself

releaseyourself
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    My kef sub has failed twice now, so do what i did and pay the extra £80 and buy a new BK Gemini sub for £195.

4. Hyper-7

Hyper-7
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    IMO, Looking at the design and number of posts, Every single PSW2*** series ever produced WILL FAIL within 5 years if left turned on at the mains.

Worldwide they may have sold 600,000 but i doubt it in the UK.

Gave up with mine and bought a proper kef sub (2nd hand PSW4000).:D

5. ajeffo

ajeffo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I have had mu Sub for about 20 months and until i read the info on this forum used to keep the sub in standby, obviously i dont any more, fortunately it is still working

6. IronGiant

IronGiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46,632
    Yes, that's the second time you've told us about the half million satisfied owners story Dan ;) :)

Dave

7. saw2

saw2
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My just over 4 years old PSW-2010 died last Friday night - always left on so it has done quite well - there is obviously a serious problem with these though.

Impatient for a replacement I went into town and bought a MS Alumni 9 as a sort of temporary measure (I recently upgraded amps so am putting together a second system for the bedroom anyway).

But after a read around and a call to Kef I ended up ordering a whole new replacement board to get the PSW going again - that arrived today. Even so, the delivery note with it says to turn the unit off when not in use.

8. blu disc

blu disc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    thanks for the replys sorry if i repeated myself from another thread just wanting to gauge reaction, my new board should be here soon so i can get the unit going again. Will definitely look away from kef on my next speaker purchase