1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

KEF Subwoofer Problem. Help is appreciated

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by jdecaro, Sep 14, 2003.

1. jdecaro

jdecaro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a 5 +1 KEF (eggs) system installed, which was working fine until recently. I realized yesterday there was not bass sound coming from the subwoofer. I remember that a couple of weeks ago I installed an HD cable TV receiver (motorola) which would give a buzzing noise to my subwoofer even if it was not turned on (it would be plugged in). After being annonyed by this sound , I disconnected the HD receiver. Now at the back of the subwoofer , there is an LED. I remeber this used to be red when the subwoofer had sound. Now as soon as I turn the subwoofer on, and I switch the receiver on , the light becomes green and no sound of course. I have used the receiver's (Denon) testing thing to direct sound only to the subwoofer and there is no sound. I tried plugging the subwoofer directly to the SW output of my DVD player and still there is no sound (this is why I believe there is something going on with the woofer instead of my receiver). What puzzles me is that LED that stays green. I would appreciate any input. Thanks. J

2. rauer

rauer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Actually I think you've mixed up the LED colours. It's red when it's in stand-by mode and green when it's receiving a signal.

That how it's on my PSW2000 anyway.

3. jdecaro

jdecaro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So does this mean , that I do have a signal in the subwoofer?
    Then, is the actual speaker damaged?

4. rauer

rauer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I'm no expert but that could be the case.

A silly question: you haven't accidentally turned down the volume on the sub, have you?

5. jdecaro

jdecaro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I do not think so. I have 3 knobs on the back. I have been playing with all of these to no avail. Unless there is another knob somewhere that I do not know about (which may be very possible)...

6. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,236
    Hi there, what has happened is that the internal amp has blown. So although your sub is receiving and detecting a signal the actual amp inside that drive the cone has ceased to function. This is a common fault with the Kef subs and your local dealer should be able to get Kef to send them a replacement amp and they can fit it in the store, providing it is all under warranty of course. I know this beacause I am a Kef dealer.

7. jdecaro

jdecaro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It should be under warranty because I bought it from a dealer , less than a year ago. I guess I wil have to find the receipts..

Thank you!

8. tmurphy

tmurphy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    Had had a sililar problem with my sub from my 2005.2 setup, but instead of no sound, it kept buzzing VERY loudly even when there was no sound source linked up to it.

I took it back to Practical HiFi in Preston and they hooked it up there and it did exactly the same thing they diagnosed it as a faulty amplifier module, but what I did hear was the owner talking to one of the staff saying somthing along the lines of "Just swap it out for one of the new batch and send the faulty unit back along with the others".

Have KEF had a bad batch of amplifiers?

My replacement even seems to sound better than the previous unit, but it might just be my imagination!

9. Bursar

Bursar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
    This is a little worrying as I'm due to get a set of 2005.2's on Saturday.

The comment of 'this is a common fault' hasn't inspired much confidence either.

I was reading a fair bit about speakers before deciding on the Eggs, and this is the first I've heard about this problem.

So either it isn't very common, or the people it has affected haven't posted here about it.

10. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,236
    As far as I'm aware and have experienced so far the problem was only with the older Mk 1 package and the PSW 2000 that came with it. As yet I have had no problems with any of the subs that come with the KEF 2005 Mk 2 package. THe problem is not that frequent it's just that when I do see these subs come back into the store it always the same fault. I would not let this put you off the Mk 2 Kef eggs as it is a fabulous package for the money and a huge improvement on its predecessor. I hope this is of some use to you.

11. Bursar

Bursar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
    *phew* wipes forehead in relief :)

12. cameronl

cameronl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    hi there all, the same thing has just happened with my kef 2005.1 sub. I got mine almost 3 years ago though. Doesn't anyone know how much these are to fix?

thanks

Cameron