1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kef Subwoofer And Pioneer Avr

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by mindhyg, Oct 31, 2005.

1. mindhyg

mindhyg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    CAN ANYONE OUT THERE PLEASE HELP WITH THIS QUESTION.
    I HAVE A PIONEER AVR AND WANT TO CONNECT IT TO A KEF SUBWOOFER WITH HIGH PASS OUTPUTS. ON THE PIONEER AVR THE SUB OUTPUT IS MARKED SUB OUT PRE. IS IT POSSIBLE TO CONNECT THIS PRE SUB OUTPUT ON THE PIONEER TO THE HIGH PASS OUTPUT/S ON THE THE KEF SUB, BECUASE CONNECTING THE SUB OUTPUT ON THE PIONEER TO THE KEF HIGH PASS OUTPUT SEEMS CONTRADICTORY. COULD IT BE POSSIBLE THAT THE CLUE LIES IN THE WORD PRE. IT'S ALL VERY CONFUSING TO A NEWEY.

2. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +599
    um, not sure what you are trying to do here....

but he is what i know from most subs i've seen/used.....

the .1 from 5.1 sources goes through an LFE connection, which will be the 'Sub out' on your amp.....to the LFE input or Low Level input on your sub.

for stereo sources you can also make on most av amps the front speakers 'small' and set a crossover on the amp so anything under say 80hz goes to the sub, this will also be transfered through the LFE connection....but will happen whether playing stereo music or 5.1 sources...

finally you have the high level connection, this is where you use a cable from the front left and right speaker outputs (as in the sockets where you wire your speakers in to on the amp) that is then connected to the high level inputs on the sub....you then set the subs crossover to the same as the lowest point your left and right front speakers can go to (for instance most floorstanders go down to say 40hz, so make the subs crossover 40hz) and make your amp register the front speakers as 'large'.....this way the speaker outputs get a full frequency range, with the speakers doing everything down to 40hz and the sub doing everything below 40hz to whatever its lowest limit is.......(quite often subs use whats called a Neutrik Speakon connection on the sub end, with a few bare wires going in to the speaker sockets on the amp end.....but some dont)

if however you are talking about something else then you might want to clarify what you are trying to do (ie what sound you are wanting to come from where)

3. mindhyg

mindhyg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your reply, but still baffled.
    The KEF is an active sub, bought last year as a kit with KEF egg speakers, but I have lost the connection brochure for the sub during my house move. The pioneer is the latset 915 AVR with self set up MACCA via a mic.

On the sub there are two input jacks LEFT AND RIGHT LINE IN
    Also on the sub there are two output jacks called LEFT AND RIGHT HIGH PASS OUTPUTS.
    The Pioneer AVR has a dedicated sub out jack and is marked SUB OUT PRE.
    In the instructions for connecting the Pioneer to a sub it just says ' connect to your sub via the sub out jack' thats great, but to which to connect to on the sub.
    Ok so far, but bearing in mind there are four possible places to connect the AVR to the sub ie two of each jacks on the sub I am baffled as to what connection to make. I know that I could connect to the line in jacks on the sub, but what will happen if I connect to the HIGH PASS OUT jacks on the sub. Kef website is also confusing about connection to a AVR. You are thinking AND QUITE RIGHTLY SO about LOW LEVEL BASS FREQUENCY as I am, and this is where it gets confusing when one starts trying to bring HIGH PASS into the equation especially when it is an OUTPUT and not an IMPUT.

Thanks again for your response I reckon I will get there eventually and hopefully with all my kit in one piece

4. conkerman

conkerman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Doesn't matter, left or righs as Bass is non-directional :)

Some subs have L-R phono inputs but that is ususally connected to the pre-out on a stereo amp. For home cinema use use the LFE (sub out?) output from the processor into one of the two inputs on the sub.

You can probably download the manual from the KEF website if you are still unsure.

5. mindhyg

mindhyg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many thanks.

I did just that and they emailed me a complete set of instructions today.
    I must say they went out of their way to help with their advice and service. By the way the high pass outputs are bass free and used to feed a power amp when the system is used in a multi speaker music system. :clap: