Kef sub is making an odd noise

Being a complete idiot I only buy things that don't go wrong in the first place.

Then just as foolishly I place my purchasing faith and product loyalty with the manufacturers who supply goods that just seem to go on working for decades.

But each to their own. :rolleyes:

You make a good point, Nimby.

People like myself deliberately pay £100s for equipment we know is going to be faulty. In fact, we actively seek out such equipment, so long as they are reinforced by a company that honours a fair return/repair system.

It never occurred to me to find equipment by a manufacturer that NEVER goes wrong. In my naiivety, I thought such companies didn't exist. Amazing how you find suppliers with a 100% faultless record.

You are so smart. :lesson:

I obviously hit a nerve. Do you enjoy paying twice for your equipment?

It simply amazes me that I read so many posts here praising KEF just for mending their faulty subs for as little as £50.

Now there's a KEF bargain not to be missed!"

We even had one poor sod who was being charged by his dealer for returning the faulty sub on top of the charges for mending the damned thing!

"Tell KEF that if it's not broken then you don't need to mend it!" :rolleyes:

Those who aren't members of this forum will never know how many KEFs are broken.
KEF wants you to go on believing their subs aren't faulty.
So you will be eternally grateful that they mend them so cheaply.

That's a novel way of gaining customer loyalty! :suicide:

I think the point that Nimby is making (If I may be so bold) is that if the number of reports we get on these forums of broken/faulty KEF sub amps is anything to go by, the tip of the proverbial iceberg so to speak, then KEF must be mending hundreds of these things and should really be recalling them and fixing them for free, not making you feel grateful they fixed it for a nominal charge.

Dave

Just want to praise KEF for the wonderful service I recieved regarding this sub.I've had this sub nearly 3 years now and it recently developed this particular fault. Spoke to kef service dept on monday - they asked me to remove the amp board and post it to them for repair. I sent the unit to them tuesday tea time, and it was delivered back to me midday yesterday (Friday)repaired FOC, IMO that is fantastic service:clap: so WELL DONE KEF and Thank you!!!

Thought I'd mention, sold my Kef sub on Fleabay 10 days ago, repaired twice in 3 years - decided it was time for something else, guy paid £255 for it:rotfl: , so I ordered a BK Monolith - which should be delivered any day now:thumbsup:

So much for customer loyalty to KEF! :rolleyes: :D

Yeah well, Very happy with Kef - as you can see in my sig below, all my speakers are Kef, but when things start to go wrong - and hear how many others are going wrong, its time to look elswhere. Unlike most on here though - I wasn't charged for either repair to the sub, other than return postage:thumbsup:so can't really complain.

My 2005.2 Sub just went very quiet after a bit of humming red light turns green when it recieves a signal from the amp but no sound is coming out no matter where the dials are turned, is this the problem everyone has been having with these subs?, iv'e had the kit from new over 2 years.

These subs seem to only go wrong if people don't turn them off.

The best solution is to turn it off when its not required.:suicide:

would an av receiver still work after being left on (not standby) for 4 years???

I think not

You think that the Red light would mean standbuy and the green would me Amp is on? a bit misleading really no wonder my electric bills are so high

Update, KEF repaired it for free, sounds better then it ever did and it was good before, top Marks to KEF customer services.

I have the same sub (2010) which I bought it in January this year. It hasn't stopped working but I thought I'd ask Kef if it included the mods as standard to fix any potential problem that so many people have experienced. This is what they said:

"The new 2010 subwoofers are modified, but we advise turning the subwoofer
off after use as if left in auto mode could suffer from power surges and
damage to the power transformer."

I dont know what to make of this really. On one hand they say it's had the mods, but on the other hand still say not to use the auto feature. hmmm :suicide:

One thing for certain if it does fall over you will not hit a brick wall at Kef i think they will just try to sort it out for you.

I guess I can be included in the ranks of faulty subs then as mine appears dead.

Bought in 2003 so will be interested to see what happens. I'm a little concerned by the conflicting reports we're seeing here, some people have had it repaired for free and others have been charged £50. I'd like a little bit of consistency for what is a very well known fault and I'm going to argue till I turn blue it should be done for free when I call tomorrow.

Too right, Good luck!

Spoke to Kef, whilst they're 'happy' to fix it for the 'bargain' sum of £50 they insisted that it's only a known issue on older subs (mine was bought in Nov 2003, how much older exactly?) and the sub only has a 1 year warranty therefore I'd have to pay.

Not exactly the response I was hoping. I remember the whole debacle of selling the Eggs online and via mail order and how it wasn't allowed because they didn't want the brand diluting, erm, I'd think your equipment failing after 3.5 years is a bigger issue for brand dilution.

Mine wasn't that old but the problem is the fact that the standby state of the Sub is not actually standby its still on and this is what they said to me, "If its been plugged in to the mains and left in the standby position then it has been on for however long its been left plugged in" and in my case that was 2 years, be interesting if anyone out there has a power meter to test how much power these subs draw in standby mode?

be interesting if anyone out there has a power meter to test how much power these subs draw in standby mode?

15W (In "Auto" or "man"), WITH NO AUDIO SIGNAL.

If your not using it, turn it off....

Sorry for the resurrection of this thread..

But my PSW2500 has just died.
I'll contact KEF tomorrow and see what they have to say..

The are usually pretty good to deal with, they may repair it for free if its the power supply defect?

Jeeze, I've only just found this thread. I thikn I've been lucky, my sub's been on for more than four years now! Time to start switching it off when it's not in use!

Was £116.33 for a new sub amp.

KEF Audio (UK)
Eccleston Road, Tovil, Maidstone,
Kent, ME15 6QP, U.K.
Telephone: +44 (0) 1622 672261
Fax: +44 (0) 1622 750653

:smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom