Kef sub is making an odd noise

D

Dobbins

Hi all I have got the Kef 2005.2 speaker package but yesterday the sub starting making some horrible sounds and now all i get is a loud buzzing noise so obviously i have switched it off! Does anyone know what is causing this and can it be fixed or is the sub knackered? thanks in advance for any help anyone can give me

PUD the Ancient

A few years ago my sub from the Kef 2005.2 package started doing the same thing. Luckily it was still under warranty and I got it repaired. It was only away for about 2 weeks and I think they replaced the amp in it which was causing the problem.

D

Dobbins

pauldarrington said:
A few years ago my sub from the Kef 2005.2 package started doing the same thing. Luckily it was still under warranty and I got it repaired. It was only away for about 2 weeks and I think they replaced the amp in it which was causing the problem.

Thanks for the reply! Did you send it back to Kef to be repaired or where you bought it from and can you remember how much it cost to repair?

PUD the Ancient

Dobbins said:
Thanks for the reply! Did you send it back to Kef to be repaired or where you bought it from and can you remember how much it cost to repair?
I took it back to the place I purchased it from who then sent it back to Kef. As I say it was under warranty so there was no cost involved. I believe you can ring Kef directly if you wish and they should be able to help you.

D

Dobbins

Thanks for that will give my local dealer where i got it from a ring and see what they can do

Arif

Standard Member
Hi there,

This is an old and known problem, to the extent that Sevenoaks (Watford) even took my unit in and exchanged it for a new one - and I hadn't even bought it from them, and it was out of warranty (although I had gone in with my brother – who had the same problem – and his was from them, and in warranty).

A whole raft of the PSW2010 sub's (model name is from memory only) came with a fundamental flaw - seemingly in the toroidal transformer (cannot quote me on that!) - and between KEF themselves, and a number of dealers - all were very good about taking it back and 'repairing' it (they actually simply provide you with a brand, spanking new amp-plate - which is the entire amp, bar the speaker). On a good many cases – one sign of this problem was the internal fuse blowing.

KEF Head Office were reputed at the time to have been really great about it – and were taking back and repairing/swapping units, no questions asked – even out of warranty, IIRC. Some dealers may well not go with this – so after checking out the response from your own retailer and if no joy – just go straight to KEF Head Office – and they should help you out. I’d even go as far as to say for you not to accept any outcome apart from them taking the unit back and sorting the problem for you. It was a well-known problem (hence clearly KEF having agreements with any big dealers to take the units back no-questions-asked) – and they were at great pains to maintain their reputation.

As such – a situation that could’ve simply resulted in a lot of unhappy customers and damaged reputation – ironically just led to many happy customers!

Many did this by post – where they unscrewed the back-plate – unplugged the two Lucas connectors attaching it to the speaker (which simply stays put at the bottom) and then you’ve got a lighter package for the post. At the time, this method was fully-blessed by KEF, I understand.

Good luck – and don’t worry – KEF rock, as does that system – and you should hopefully be sorted out quickly and without fuss!

M

Maximum_B

My same model sub is currently at repair. I've been told £100 for the Amp board inclusive.
In the light of the comments on this thread this looks like something Kef should have made greater efforts to resolve.

Nimby

Maximum_B said:
My same model sub is currently at repair. I've been told £100 for the Amp board inclusive.
In the light of the comments on this thread this looks like something Kef should have made greater efforts to resolve.
If your sub is within the guarantee period then claim under your guarantee.

If your sub is outside the guarantee period but with a KEF dealer then contact KEF HQ ASAP if the dealer is unsympethetic. (quote this thread if you think it will help) The KEF dealer should be very aware that the KEF may not of merchantable quality since a common and known fault exists. He will certainly have heard of this fault from the KEF rep. I consider it very poor service to make a customer pay for a DOA with a known fault.

If the sub is no longer under guarantee and is placed with a non-KEF dealer for repair then there really isn't much to be done except pay up. (an email to KEF HQ is unlikey to lead to a refund of your repair charges but might be worth a try.

If none of the above work then keep making noises online about KEF's QC just to warn other users. If you are a heavy poster you might try some variation on:
"KEF XYZ SUBS ARE TOTAL CRAP (IMO) £100 REPAIR CHARGES FOR KNOWN FAULT!" as a signature. ;)

There is always the Local Trading Standards Officer who might lend a sympathetic ear if your repair is with a KEF dealer who won't admit any liability for your expensive trauma. He may already have a file on your dealer or KEF from previous complaints. A call to the KEF dealer from the LTSO might then do you some good.

M

Maximum_B

It is out of warranty, just coming up to 3 years old. The satellites have a 5 year warranty, but the subs only 1.

Would these repairs be done by Kef?

If anyone knows what symptoms this fault regularly shows, that would be great. In my case it was completely dead one day.

I assume the new amp boards don't have the same design flaw.

Rob

Arif

Standard Member
I neglected to emphasise that KEF are reputed to be extremely hot on customer service. This was a reputation established even before the PSW 2010 unreliability situation arose.

So - do pursue the route of direct contact with KEF, and if for any reason you seem not to be being treated well - try asking for someone higher up.

I don't see why anyone with this (now well-known) PSW2010 subwoofer issue should have to pay anything more than postage to get this fixed.

Rather, you should be finding yourself treated like royalty, once they 'realise'. It may have been a good while since they've had this come back to haunt them - and so whoever answers the phone may now not be familiar with the entire situation.

Standard warranty rules do not (did not, at any rate) apply.

Everyone else with this problem (that I know about) have simply been happy with the final outcome. Some may of course never have had to go directly to KEF, as their own dealer may have been good themselves.

Oh, and - I'm virtually certain that they properly sorted the problem. Must have been a raft of dud parts causing the embarrassing problem. My personal experience, and that of a good few others that I know of - got brand new amp-boards - not simply their own unit repaired.

It's a beautiful sub (physically, especially) - so don't lose faith in it!!

(P.s. If you've got the sub that comes with the 2005.2 package - it doesn't matter what symptom it shows. If it stops functioning properly in any way at all - get it repaired)

M

Maximum_B

Just been on the phone to Kef, they say if you send the sub to them its £50 (whether this includes P&P I don't know) so the rest is mark-up by the dealer. They admitted to the problem on earlier models.

The early subs from 2005.2 systems came with 12 month warrantees but now they have sorted the problems out they have 5 years!

So to conclude:
1. Kef customer service isn't all that, since they admit to having had a problem but won't see fit to sort it. Yes it may be out of its original warranty but this wouldn't be an issue with regard to a design or manufacturing defect. I have experienced free repairs on cheaper out-of-warranty equipment. In my case the sub us less than 3 years old.

2. Rayleigh Hi-Fi (Chelmsford) are charging me an additional £50 for the luxury of being able to park on a double yellow line and risk getting a ticket.

3. It would seem that returning to the dealer who sold you the kit in the first place is the most stupid thing you can do.

Nimby

We feel your pain Max and hopefully KEF and your dealer will be feeling it on the bottom! [line] :suicide:

Do keep us informed of progress in this outrageous state of affairs.

W

wookie

If I remember correctly, the £50 fee KEF charged me included VAT and return delivery (bought unit in 2003).
KEF told me that the problem is caused by a few components overheating &
most, if not all of the units that had failed had been left powered up in "auto" mode from new.

Had mine rebuilt and they did a good job, received it back within one week and they had rebuilt it with upgraded capacitors, and performed a mod to reduce the internal temperature.

If you have a KEF PSW2000 or the later 2010 or 2500, turn it off when your not using it.

They still have 1 year warranty on "active products", its the "passive" satellites that have a 5 year warranty....
But the tech assured me they sorted the problem out a long time ago in production units.

M

Maximum_B

Is it still neccesary to turn it off rather than leave in standby? Doesn't sound like theyve fixed it very well to me!

A

AquilÆagle

It is re-assuring to read that KEF are good with service on this issue, as I am about to call them on Monday. I have removed the amp today from the unit.

If they replace/repair the amp part, is it still necessary to put it on normal mode rather than auto?

Thanks

dishdoc

Just want to praise KEF for the wonderful service I recieved regarding this sub.I've had this sub nearly 3 years now and it recently developed this particular fault. Spoke to kef service dept on monday - they asked me to remove the amp board and post it to them for repair. I sent the unit to them tuesday tea time, and it was delivered back to me midday yesterday (Friday)repaired FOC, IMO that is fantastic service:clap: so WELL DONE KEF and Thank you!!!

Trancerii

I assume you ruled out that its not the actual audio cable? Mine was buzzing and I swapped the cable and it stopped.

dishdoc

I assume you ruled out that its not the actual audio cable? Mine was buzzing and I swapped the cable and it stopped.
Was that a question for me?

birminghamhifi

Novice Member
Just been on the phone to Kef, they say if you send the sub to them its £50 (whether this includes P&P I don't know) so the rest is mark-up by the dealer. They admitted to the problem on earlier models.

The early subs from 2005.2 systems came with 12 month warrantees but now they have sorted the problems out they have 5 years!

So to conclude:
1. Kef customer service isn't all that, since they admit to having had a problem but won't see fit to sort it. Yes it may be out of its original warranty but this wouldn't be an issue with regard to a design or manufacturing defect. I have experienced free repairs on cheaper out-of-warranty equipment. In my case the sub us less than 3 years old.

2. Rayleigh Hi-Fi (Chelmsford) are charging me an additional £50 for the luxury of being able to park on a double yellow line and risk getting a ticket.

3. It would seem that returning to the dealer who sold you the kit in the first place is the most stupid thing you can do.

Vote with your wallet and do it yourself! Unless, of course, changing a sub board for you is like plastering a wall for me (I can't!). In which case take your medicine and pay a bloke to do it for you. Also your dealer has to send the amp to Kef which costs them (not fifty quid).

multiply

Novice Member
My 2005 sub (bought in 2003 as part of the KHT 2005 system) has completely packed up. Dead. Although the little red LED still lights up(!).

I have just sent an email to KEF support (via their website) and then this thread came up in my search. Fascinating to read that this is a common fault... except mine is completely dead - no buzzing noises or anything.
Has anyone else experienced that?

It will be interesting to learn how KEF deal with my problem compared to the other experiences I have read about here. They seem to be a pretty good company by all accounts...

Thanks to all for the info :thumbsup:

STOP PRESS - While I was typing that, I received a reply from KEF (only about 15 minutes since I wrote to them). Sure enough, they are suggesting sending them back the rear panel + £50 repair/p&p charge. Very fair. I'm impressed!!

multiply

Novice Member
Final follow-up:

Received my completely refurbished subwoofer component back from Kef yesterday- and it works perfectly!

I received a call from them at the beginning of the week telling me that the PCB had shorted and that they had replaced the components with brand new ones (including the onboard amp). They sent it back to me and charged me £50 including the repair, P&P and VAT.

Well done Kef - excellent service!!! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Geekster

Novice Member
I had the same issue, I have the PSW2000 Sub, it worked fine for 4 years then the loud buzzing noise started. As the other posts have mentioned the Amp board can be sent to Kef , £14 it cost me to post it, and for a £50 fee they will fix the board. I took some before and after photos of the board to see what was fixed / replaced and interestingly as it appears what was added! There are 2 more photos here:

This is what came back

This is the original I sent to Kef

Attachments

bigshout

Standard Member
multiply, I too hve the same problem as you do with a dead amp. I phoned Kef today and as usual very helpful and informative. Firstly the LED on the back supposidly for standby isn't the case. It's a singal dection LED, the Amp is left on all the time out of standby. The only way to standby is to power down. This was one of the fundimental issues with these amps in that they were prone to letting go if left on for long peroids of time. I've also been told that when the amp is returned if has loads of compents replaced which increases the power output and should offer a better quality sound, I was told over £35 worth are replaced and there is no profit made out of this repair including labour. You also receive a years warranty on the sub. So all in all a very good value for money repair:thumbsup: .

This save me having to go out and purchase another sub and also reenforces me with confidnce what when I purchase newer equipment in the near future for speakers I will stick with KEF just because I know they will help me out with their product even if they are out of warranty.

Another thumbs up for KEF.:clap:

Nimby

Being a complete idiot I only buy things that don't go wrong in the first place.

Then just as foolishly I place my purchasing faith and product loyalty with the manufacturers who supply goods that just seem to go on working for decades.

But each to their own. :rolleyes:

multiply

Novice Member
You make a good point, Nimby.

People like myself deliberately pay £100s for equipment we know is going to be faulty. In fact, we actively seek out such equipment, so long as they are reinforced by a company that honours a fair return/repair system.

It never occurred to me to find equipment by a manufacturer that NEVER goes wrong. In my naiivety, I thought such companies didn't exist. Amazing how you find suppliers with a 100% faultless record.

You are so smart. :lesson:

Nimby

I obviously hit a nerve. Do you enjoy paying twice for your equipment?

It simply amazes me that I read so many posts here praising KEF just for mending their faulty subs for as little as £50.

Now there's a KEF bargain not to be missed!"

We even had one poor sod who was being charged by his dealer for returning the faulty sub on top of the charges for mending the damned thing!

"Tell KEF that if it's not broken then you don't need to mend it!" :rolleyes:

Those who aren't members of this forum will never know how many KEFs are broken.
KEF wants you to go on believing their subs aren't faulty.
So you will be eternally grateful that they mend them so cheaply.

That's a novel way of gaining customer loyalty! :suicide:

IronGiant

I think the point that Nimby is making (If I may be so bold) is that if the number of reports we get on these forums of broken/faulty KEF sub amps is anything to go by, the tip of the proverbial iceberg so to speak, then KEF must be mending hundreds of these things and should really be recalling them and fixing them for free, not making you feel grateful they fixed it for a nominal charge.

Dave

dishdoc

Just want to praise KEF for the wonderful service I recieved regarding this sub.I've had this sub nearly 3 years now and it recently developed this particular fault. Spoke to kef service dept on monday - they asked me to remove the amp board and post it to them for repair. I sent the unit to them tuesday tea time, and it was delivered back to me midday yesterday (Friday)repaired FOC, IMO that is fantastic service:clap: so WELL DONE KEF and Thank you!!!
Thought I'd mention, sold my Kef sub on Fleabay 10 days ago, repaired twice in 3 years - decided it was time for something else, guy paid £255 for it:rotfl: , so I ordered a BK Monolith - which should be delivered any day now:thumbsup: