1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kef sub dead ! (thx)

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by grahamricho, May 25, 2004.

1. grahamricho

grahamricho

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    My KEF TDM 45B sub died,it blew the internal fuse and when i replaced it it blew that,I got a service sheet from Kef and had a check round with my meter,the mains tranformer has gone and they are made in Canada,so i e-mailed the company and they told me to e-mail Indigo who they supplied the tramsformers to.
    I,m now told they are no longer trading !
    I have e-mailed Kef and they have no transformers in and my only option is to buy a new amp module for £172....Which i do not want to do.
    ..I need some info on the transformer .its V/a rating and secondary voltages.
    Kef say they do not have any details ?
    The only trouble is if some other parts of the module have blown and i fork out for a new replacement transformer it will be money wasted ,The power supply and power amp diagram are awaiting patents and Kef will not give me any details of them only parts of the amplifier module ...
    Has any body had any trouble with the Kef subs ? I did not really give it a good thrashing just used it steadly and the thing died !
    I was thinking about counting my loses and getting a different sub !
    I have bought Kef for years and spent Thousands on their products and also recomended them to dozens of people ,and when i respect and like a brand i usually stick with it but i am slowly begining to have my doubts about Kef.
    I have been in the tv repair trade for a number of years and think its a cop out when you can not get spares or diagrams for electronic gear....graham

2. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +752
    I've got 2 of these subs, and whilst mine still work I've always been prepared for the day they pack up! They just don't seem to be very well made.

I had to exchange one of them because the inside of the cabinet rattled really badly and there were screws missing on the amplifier module.
    The 2nd unit had the LED on the front wired the wrong way round, so it turned red when switched on, and green when switched off. I opened it up and reversed the connection and all was well.
    However, whilst opening it up I couldn't help noticing how bendy and scuffed the circuit board was. It looked really tatty and likely to short.
    The driver was also not well fixed to the cabinet and required extra fixing to get an air-tight seal.

Having said all that, I've had mine about 4 years now and they're both still going strong.

3. frozendexter

frozendexter
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I have the KEF THX set-up, love the speakers except the sub! I had mine replaced twice. it constantly blew the safty fuse (KEF said replace with bigger one!) I wrote to KEF to say how I expected more from an £800 speaker and had lost faith in their gear. they sent me a pen and a t-shirt back. have now sold the speaker and am looking for a suitable replacement, waiting to see what happens with the UFW-10's.