KEF Still any good ??

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by tibetan_tone, Oct 20, 2005.

1. tibetan_tone

tibetan_tone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there,

5 years plus ago I bought 4 Kef 60S speakers, a center 80C and a 30B active sub.

I'm about to buy a Yam AX757 and a Panasonic 42PV500

Do people think my original speakers will be OK or should I also upgrade ?

If I DID upgrage - I'd have about 300 - 500 pounds .....

What do people think ???

Thanks

Tony

2. Steve N

Steve N
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,412
    I would upgrade with decent used stuff for the best value for your bucks
    The 30B is a very good underrated sub (my first) I would keep it.
    I'd try and get a decent 100c centre. It'll knock the socks of your 80c, you should be able to pick one up for around £100. It will also match up with Kef Ref 1s or 2s without letting itself down if you should decide to go for a slightly bigger upgrade sometime.
    I'd flog the 60s' (although I am currently using a pair for centre rears) but this is the least crucial area for speakers.
    As for what to use as fronts - there are a lot of decent oldie but goodie Kefs. I think you would get a big improvement with Q35s, Q55s or better, these would set you back around £80 to £150 a pair.
    I'm sure a lot of the guys will have other suggestions but this should give you food for thought

3. wookie

wookie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My advice would be to upgrade the front three speakers.
    60S's will be fine for movie surrounds.
    You could use 2 of them as back surround.

The More recent KEF Q series speakers use an aluminium dome tweeter that will make you think your 60s's were in potato sacks!, not too "bright", theyre detailed but not harsh.

Q4 & Q6C or the new iQ5 & iQ2c would fit in that budget and keep the UniQ driver theme going.

I find the KEF UniQ to be a perfect solution for centre speakers as the sound is so wide.

I can sit on the outside of the speakers and still hear clear dialogue, even if the picture is hard to see, "gawd bless the 200c"!

4. wookie

wookie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    & welcome tone, its your first post :hiya:

5. tibetan_tone

tibetan_tone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm really chuffed to hear I should keep the 30B sub !

so ......

do I stay with Kef speakers for the rest .... or should I bite the bullet and go for another speaker set (not including a sub) ? If so - could I ask people to make their suggestions ?

I've always been pleased with kef - but I'm open to suggestions - and lets face it ... you guys know what you are talknig about !!

Another silly question .....

the AX757 amp is 7.1 - so I guess I could keep 1 set of 60S - but that still leaves another 5 speakers to buy ? right ?

Thanks again for the input !! : :D

Oh another thing .......

This set-up will be in a loft conversion (I have GREAT neighbours !!) ... but it does mean that 2 walls are angled (basically its the roof) while the other 2 walls are normal ..... Its a resonably sized room .... 4 meters by 4 meters - not massive - (but hey I do live in a 200 year old cottage !) So will the fact that my system lives in a hollow triangluar tolberone shaped room have an impact on the sound ?

Look forward to hearing people's views !

Tony

6. Steve N

Steve N
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,412
    Down to personal preferance
    If you look at my profile you will see that I like and have kept with Kef.
    Best advise is to try and listen to whatever you can.
    Bear in mind that home cinema set-ups in shops etc, are set out in perfectly set up rooms with (usually) one ore two seats placed in the perfect listening position.
    In your own home things will be different. Kefs are very forgiving in this respect as they have quite a wide sweet spot.