Kef Reference range; different versions

antz

Novice Member
Hi,
I was reading a posters signature and he had listed as his mains Kef 205.2's.

Well, I was intrigued as I had not heard that Kef had released a .2 to the current reference range.

I asked the poster (thanks for the reply Gus) and he confirmed that Kef had indeed carried out minor modification to the currrent reference range.

This is not referred to on the Kef website, nor anywhere else.

Does anybody know when this 'upgrade' happened and what changes were actually made? I have a feeling that the uni-q tweeter has been changed, but I'm not sure.

Regards
Antz

Reel To Reel

Novice Member
Hi,
I was reading a posters signature and he had listed as his mains Kef 205.2's.

Well, I was intrigued as I had not heard that Kef had released a .2 to the current reference range.

I asked the poster (thanks for the reply Gus) and he confirmed that Kef had indeed carried out minor modification to the currrent reference range.

This is not referred to on the Kef website, nor anywhere else.

Does anybody know when this 'upgrade' happened and what changes were actually made? I have a feeling that the uni-q tweeter has been changed, but I'm not sure.

Regards
Antz

The hyper tweeter is now incorporated within the body of the speaker - new finishes and roll off on woofers is different AFAIK.

Launch is imminent,

337GUS

Speaker news Posted Tuesday, February 1st, 2005
Viewed 1333 times.
KEF improves flexibility of its Reference Series speakers

Following is the press release from KEF on a new improvement to its Reference Series range…

”KEF is pleased to announce a significant revision to its internationally acclaimed Reference Series range of quality high-end loudspeakers. Responding to feedback from consumers and retailers, the new ‘Uni-Balance Reference’ offers increased flexibility to the user by allowing for adjustment of the balance of the speaker to compensate for room acoustics, partnering electronics and system configuration.

The existing three position bass-level adjustment, boundary compensation device has been reconfigured to allow two settings for bass level and four settings for tweeter/hypertweeter level. Bass performance is also improved.

The Reference range has received consistently high praise from reviewers and customers alike for its uncompromisingly natural and analytical sound quality. Coupled with well-matched, quality electronics, the speakers produce a level of clarity and integration rarely heard from a sound reproduction system. Key to this is the latest symbiotically designed Uni-Q® driver array with 'Uni-Form' copolymer midrange cone and the elliptical profile titanium tweeter dome.

This new Uni-Q array offers better coupling of the tweeter radiation to the (midrange cone) waveguide, and hence improved stereo imaging; but at the expense of slightly increased tweeter directivity. The tweeter level in the standard version is set to provide a specific balance between the midrange and HF sections, optimised in true audiophile tradition for the reproduction of natural sounds such as voices and acoustic instruments.

However, some users have found this to make the speakers sensitive to room acoustics, partnering electronics to the quality of recordings. Hence the new four position HF/SHF level adjustment, which allows the user the flexibility to optimise the balance for their specific system and environment.

Crossover changes have also been made to provide improvements in the bass performance. The bass quality is improved, with better balance, clarity and timing and the two position level adjustment gives the user the ability to optimise performance for free space or boundary positioning.

The Uni-Balance Reference has been incorporated into Reference Series Models 205, 203 and 201.

KEF REFERENCE SERIES UNI-Q MODEL 205: £3999.99
KEF REFERENCE SERIES UNI-Q MODEL 203: £2999.99
KEF REFERENCE SERIES UNI-Q MODEL 201: £1999.99

Posted by John Archer
To link to this news item, bookmark this address :
http://www.homecinemachoice.com/cgi-bin/shownews.php?id=7438

Hence the 205.2 in my signature, which is how they were referred to by the seller, maybe it's not official but you can see there was a definate revision a while ago. AFAIK the 206DS, 202C, 204C and 207 did not change.

Gus

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic HX800 TV + Sony HT-G700 Soundbar reviews, movie and TV show news and reviews
Top Bottom