Kef Reference One's ??

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by giosblue, Feb 25, 2005.

1. giosblue

giosblue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everybody.

I'm currently useing Kef Reference One's ( about six years now ).

I'm looking to change and was curious if anybody has used these? and what they changed them for?

My problem is I have very little time do the rounds and audition speakers.

Looking to spend £1200 max. Can I get a substantial improvement over the Kefs for this sort of money.

I even thought about going cheaper to Kef Q4 or Q5.
    Any thoughts anybody.

Manythanks

Ron

2. quadophile

quadophile

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Spending £1200 today to replace Kef Reference One is essentially a downgrade, you will need to spend a lot more to improve upon the Kef's you have, are you sure you want to go backwards?

I have the Kef Reference Two and even if I spend the original price, £1600 when new I would be certainly downgrading.

Stick to them or spend around £2000+

3. giosblue

giosblue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Quadophile.

I tried the twos when I bought the ones. Too big for my room though.

The reason I'm asking is because Kef brought out a !.2 version and I was curious as to how recent models sound in comparison.
    Whats you take on the Kef sound?

Ron

4. quadophile

quadophile

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    How big is your room?

The difference between the original and .2 may not be big but the current breed surely will sound better. The ones we have are a difficult load, but the newer ones are easier to drive not that you can use cheap run of the mill amps but with good electronics they are not very hard to drive being 8 Ohms.

The biggest difference is in the tweeter which now caters to high resolution audio like SACD and DVD-A. The newer versions have super tweeters that go all the way upto 50 Khz.

The overall sound quality of your speaker is very good, however upgrading means you have to spend enough to be able to surpass the quality you are now getting, but that will require you to spend a lot more than you have earmarked.

I personally think Kef have no sound or in other words character of their own, meaning they are natural sounding transducers, that is what a speaker should ideally be.

My suggestion to you would be to audition a few in the budget you have now and judge for yourself if it is comparable to Kef or is to your liking before you finally decide what to do.

In my humble opinion your next upgrade should not be less than the Kef 201 as that would be your real upgrade.

Cheers!

5. giosblue

giosblue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that quadophile.

Room size is 12ftx17ft solid floor. Plaster board walls, which don't halve soak up the bass. You have to be in the right spot to get any really.
    I just checked, it 8yrs since I bought the Kefs. Not heard any other speakers since.

And yes I know what you mean about being hard to drive, Just changed my amp from from an Exposure to a Cyrus intergrated. And to be honest it struggles when pushed a bit. After a while the thermal protection kicks in. Never had that with the Exposure.

Thinking about getting a couple Cyrus Monoblocks.?
    Great little amp though the Cyrus, sounds really nice. VERY dynamic.

Thanks again

Ron

6. quadophile

quadophile

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    How about shelving the idea of speaker upgrade and consider upgrading your amp to something beefier? That way you be getting more from your speaker and also you need not worry about thermal protection kicking in.

7. giosblue

giosblue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think your proberly right.

I just thought things may have moved on a bit in the speaker department after 8 years.

Thanks for your time I appreciate it

Many thanks

Ron

PS what amp do you us? Quad? I used to have a 34-606 combo years ago.

8. quadophile

quadophile

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Not at all the pleasure was all mine. I use 66/606II combo and it has the drive as well as musicality.