Kef Reference 4-2 and Bryston 7BST

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by mannyjarnail, Apr 29, 2007.

1. mannyjarnail

mannyjarnail

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +111
    Has anyone heard the combination of the Bryston 7BST monobloc amplifiers and kef reference 4-2 speakers with Nordost cabling?

Many amazing sounding systems are often a combination of components, which complement each other. Its a fine balance when finding a component that works well with each other from different brands. The combination of the Bryston 7BST's and Kef Reference 4-2's are sublime. The upper/midrange is amazing and bass to dye for (2 10inch bass units in each speaker). I have bought and sold thousands of pounds worth of hifi and not really found anything better for at least three or four times the price. I recently tried Krell cx amplification and i can say it is better than the 7BSTs and 7BSSTs but at a price. I was blown away as the Krell cx range is actually better than the Bryston 7BST at lower end and the Brystons are phenominal. Looks like im saving for some Krells for my fronts will use my 7BSTs for rears.

2. Helicon

Helicon
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +261
    Just so happens i have used this combination :smashin:

I agree with you on the speakers, i've not found anything this side of £5k to compete yet, and i've heard a few. The nearest i've found are Proac's new D28's, which have a great bass response for a single LF driver speaker. The PMC OB1's were close too, but just didn't have the welly the Kef's had down low. The Wilson Benesch Square Two's do a bloody good job in some respects, and given they're only £2200ish, i suppose adding a good sub to them would be one way to take it. But i'm running off the point......

I tried many amplifiers to drive the 4.2's. I bought a Krell KAV500, thinking that might do the trick, but it just couldn't control the bass properly. I then borrowed a pair of 7BST's (not SST's), and wow!! The bass was solid, controlled, deep and pretty scary! And it was even better with dts 96/24 music! Midrange was very open and even and well balanced in relation to the bass. And the treble......sharp, detailed, but smooth, unless the source material dictated otherwise. Imaging was fantastic, and everything just sounded right.

But unfortunately, i couldn't afford the 7's. As a temporary measure i had to come down a bit. All the way to the 3B! It was going cheap at the time, so even if it did a half job, it'd be better than using most amps i could get for the money. As it happens, the treble and mid were fine, not to the same standard, but not too much to write home about. The big difference was the bass. The bass had halved!! It was still respectable though, still tight, still deep, just not as taught. And the little 3B still had more than enough power to drive the 4.2's, it never struggled once. My plan was to relegate it to rear surround duties (or bi-amp my 200c) when i could afford some 7's.

But then i split with the girlfriend and moved out (cue violins). I couldn't store it all, so it all had to go :thumbsdow

Trying to find amps and speakers to match that well is time consuming and a pain the rectum. If i could have that combination back for music, i'd do it tomorrow.

Hope this helps. Get a listen if you can, but make sure you use a decent front end and pre-amp, it'll make all the difference. (At the time i was using my Pioneer 737 as a CD transport going through a Tag AV32R/Bryston pre. I did toy with a Teac VRDS transport, but it went faulty pretty quick so that went back)

3. mannyjarnail

mannyjarnail

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +111
    Im currently using something similar to what you did a 868AVI as a transport and a Tag av32r as a preamp/dac. I have contemplated changing the processor but there is not much on the market that really is far better than the Tag processors. Although i have tried Lexicon, which is better but i wanted to see whats going to happen with the new formats that are to come namely the new Dolby Digital Plus and DTS HD before commiting to anything. The DVD player is not a good transport at all really will have to change that but the above format changes are also preventing me to do so.

What processor would you recommend?

I have seen a few kef reference 4s for sale but no kef reference 4-2s. They are extremely rare. The old fours were voiced for the american market where they have larger rooms. The 4-2s were re-voiced and the cross overs were changed more to the likes of the UK market. I dont really like the new kef series they didnt impress me especially at the new prices. They dont seem to have the same scale and presence in the soundstage but again that is down to personal taste.

4. Helicon

Helicon
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +261
    I agree.

Personally i'd wait it out on the processor front. Most manufacturers will eventually enter this market, so if you jump in too quickly, you may miss out on a manufacturer you'd have preferred.

I agree the Pioneer DVD players aren't great transports, but all things given, i was quite suprised how good the system sounded using it. The Teac VRDS transport i bought (can't remember the number now) was obviously better at the frequency extremes, which just helped the Kef's shine even more.

As i said, i did add the Bryston pre-amp, so the DVD player was connected digitally into the AVR32, then analogue to the Bryston, so the Tag was acting purely as a DAC. This sounded better than using the Tag as the pre as well as the DAC.

I never heard the 4's, and i bought the 4.2's blind because i got them at a stupid price, but i knew i liked the Kef sound as i had owned 104.2's and 103.4's before. I really regret selling them, but i just couldn't store them.

5. mannyjarnail

mannyjarnail

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +111
    please close thread

6. Helicon

Helicon
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +261
    Before it's closed, did you get anywhere with this?

7. mannyjarnail

mannyjarnail

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +111
    Hi Helicon

Thanks for the response i have concluded that i will wait to change my processor and dvd player. Although i have started to play around with my amplification and cabling. I am though just in the process of considering to compare my current setup with some b&w nautilus speakers. As there is no better demo than in your own system and in your own room acoustic conditions. Although it may not be a fair comparison as i am looking at 803s or 804s. In order to compare to the Kef 4-2s i would have to buy 802s at least.

8. Helicon

Helicon
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +261
    Even then, i think there may be an area or two where the KEF's are still preferable!

9. mannyjarnail

mannyjarnail

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +111
    Thats true as i believe the kefs are gonna be hard to beat on bass and midrange. Furthermore I heard from a few people that partnerring the nautilus series is rather difficult to get optimum performance as nautilus tweeter is rather sensitive but i am looking forward to trying them.

10. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,671
    I think that "ruthlessly revealing" might be a better way of describing the Nautilus tweeter.

It's not harsh,or prominent as such,just rather open to shortcomings elsewhere,which makes picking source and amplification to suit very important.

On another note(haha),the amp requirements for many of the Nautilus range can also be quite demanding at the other end of the frequency scale,and certainly the larger models do require powerful,well controlled amps,and hence Bryston,Krell and Classe are often featured there.

11. mannyjarnail

mannyjarnail

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +111
    Depending on the type of music you listen to i.e. live recordings this can be undesirable but then in other situations it would be desirable like home cinema applications.

12. mannyjarnail

mannyjarnail

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +111
    please close thread