Kef reference 3 v monitor audio platinum 200 mkii

DJJez

Hi guys

Looking to upgrade to one of these speakers for my home cinema setup. I currently have monitor audio gold 300s and gold c350 centre and love them. Planning to demo both in a few weeks.

I have a 5.2.4 atmos system with a marantz 8805 with an arcam a49 driving the fronts and 2 arcam p429s for everything else.

The obvious chose is jusy buy platinums but im Just wondering what you would choose and why as ive seen many people say the kefs are more neutral so I feel I should definetley try them out.

Thanks

Last edited:

ShanePJ

AVForums Sponsor
Can I ask are you upgrading the whole front end to Platinum or just part of it? If its the entire front end, then yes have a listen to the Kef Reference speakers as they are extremely good. However, if you are keeping one part of the front end, then the sound will be more balanced keeping speakers from the same manufacturer meaning the Platinum's will be a better combination

DJJez

Can I ask are you upgrading the whole front end to Platinum or just part of it? If its the entire front end, then yes have a listen to the Kef Reference speakers as they are extremely good. However, if you are keeping one part of the front end, then the sound will be more balanced keeping speakers from the same manufacturer meaning the Platinum's will be a better combination
Thanks for the reply
im changing the front 3 yes then eventually will change rears if i move to kef

Last edited:

gibbsy

My choice would be the KEF Reference. If you change the surrounds then the R3s would be adequate and timbre would not be compromised in that position. Nice to see that KEF has added a Reference 2C to the range as the Reference 4C is a massive beast.

DJJez

My choice would be the KEF Reference. If you change the surrounds then the R3s would be adequate and timbre would not be compromised in that position. Nice to see that KEF has added a Reference 2C to the range as the Reference 4C is a massive beast.

Thanks for the reply

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member

dollag

I mean at this price point, you really need to audition so glad your going to.

diminishing returns defo kicks in, there is no denying that. going from the r range to the reference, i wasnt hearing speakers that were performing 4 times the cost but that's to be expected.

They are amazing but i feel preference is a key part of such a choice.

For absolute reference sound and frequency response, the kef trump the platinum's but this doesn't meant they are for everyone.

DJJez

PT has ex-demo pair for 6k£, normally 10,500£!

Also ex-demo Ref 5 pair cheaper than new Ref 3!

@dollag has the Ref speakers, but i think he spoke something about diminishing returns.. Maybe he can chime in.
Thanks. Im after the black and orange :):)

Last edited:

DJJez

I mean at this price point, you really need to audition so glad your going to.

diminishing returns defo kicks in, there is no denying that. going from the r range to the reference, i wasnt hearing speakers that were performing 4 times the cost but that's to be expected.

They are amazing but i feel preference is a key part of such a choice.

For absolute reference sound and frequency response, the kef trump the platinum's but this doesn't meant they are for everyone.
Thanks for the reply. Yeh i figured at 4 x the cost the % increase in quality would be noway near that.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Home AV, TV, Tech News & Reviews, Plus The Best of July 2020
Top Bottom