1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kef Reference 207 - small review

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Plump, May 13, 2002.

1. Plump

Plump
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It was finally time to take my wife somewhere for a short holiday. Which city would be more appropriate for that than Frankfurt, beautiful skyline, nice spring weather etc. Oh yes, and HiEnd in Frankfurt!!!
    So I got a great chance to hear new KEF Reference series flagship and it was estonishing.
    New Reference Model 207 blew everything else away. It was driven from great electronics too (all brand new Chord monoblocks), but it was finally speaker that sounded soo gorgeous.
    Yes, it might look very simmilar to latest B&W Nautilus series but it beats them by clear margin. I have a great chance to listen to Nautilus 801 very often since my brother in law has one pair, and we also tested Nautilus 800 together on two occasions, but this KEF slams all I heard by now!
    No matter if it was classic or pop, techno or rock, I simply could not leave that room! After over one hour my wife finally dragged me away and all she said was "do not even think about it". How to do it? I have no answer! KEF did marvelous job! TAG DVD32R will have to wait. There is new target on my horizon!
    Having listened mine Ref Two for years and Ref three and Ref Four.Two from some friends I now know what we all are missing!
    This is the one.
    Also the huge centre speaker Model 204c offered better centre performance than anything else I've heard but since it is not possible to put such a monster into my living room it will stay out of my mind.

So people, go and listen to this one. Take your CDs with yourself and if there is any chance to buy it ever you'll do it. Especially because it's extreamly high set RRP will not hold for long. since I was so long inside I managed to hear dealer price! Do not be surprised to find it for much less than those 15000 €.
    Cheers

2. Mark Ward

Mark Ward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Kef have a pair of these set up in their Maidstone museum/demo suite.

I've heard them a couple of times and they are without a doubt the best sounding speakers I have ever heard, I have to say I've never heard Nautilus 801's or 802's so I can't make that comparison. They are MASSIVE however as well as £9k and for most HT enthusiasts with ample sub power the 205's may prove a more achievable target. I almost bought the 203's on a great discount price from Unilet a few weeks back, but decided (on the specs not on demoing) they didn't have the low end I was looking for.

For me the 205's or 207's together with that beautiful 204 centre are on my wishlist, together with a Lex MC12. However, in my case this wish list will almost certainly remain that.

My next target... A Lex MC1

Mark.

3. Plump

Plump
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Mark,
    take a look to TAG AV192R
    Big Lex is great but I would never go that way knowing what TAG can (and what will be able to do in the future)
    Cheers

4. Mark Ward

Mark Ward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I'll reply in the Amps forum, I risk going OT if I expend in here :)

Mark.

5. Steve.EX

Steve.EX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    For what it is worth i use the new smaller reference 202c center (£1000) and it truely knocked my old 23c and a borrowed 200 into a cocked hat!
    A thing of undoubted beauty!

SteveEX

6. Mark Ward

Mark Ward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I've no doubt that the 202c is as impressive as you say. The 203's I was offered were at a very good price, However I was aware they wouldn't be a great match for my Model 100 & TDM34 Surrounds. I bought the Ref 2.2's instead and I've been grinning ever since.

The 203's specs/numbers don't seem that impressive, the 207's cost £stupid. Kef 205's perfect balance IMHO. Still, money no object... 207's for sure.

Being a Maidstone man I like to support local firms, but I'd never sacrifice performance for loyalty. Just thinking about all the main speakers I've bought over the years.

Mains
    -------
    Kef Cantour II's
    Kef Codas
    Kef Q15s
    Kef Q55s
    Kef Ref 1.2
    Kef Ref 2.2

Centres
    ----------
    Kef Q95c
    Kef Model 100

Spot any pattern here?
    And I didn't always live in Maidstone! :grin

Mark.

7. ilkand

ilkand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Mark,
    What about those B&W THX speakers you bought? Were the Kefs better than them? Are you sticking with the 2.2s for the forseeable future?

8. Mark Ward

Mark Ward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Erm, yes... sorry, I also forgot about my current Kef TDM34DS's which are probably THE best surround speakers I've ever heard.

I do hate it when people pay attention :blush:

As far as the B&W THX speakers.... I'm guilty! OK!? I wanted the Amps & Subs they were being sold with and the overall price was very reasonable. I'd only bought my 2.2's a week or so earlier having bought some Ref 1.2's the previous week, so my wife was less than happy when I arrived home from work with another car full.

I Bought:-
    3 X B&W FCM8
    2 X B&W PCM8 Passive Subs
    1 X B&W SCM8 Surrounds (They couldn't find the other!)
    4 X HK PA2400 Sig, Power Amps
    1 X Pioneer 2850 LD Player
    1 X Lexicon CP3 Processor
    1 X Echostar LT8700 Sta Reciever
    1 X 6 Tier Stand

I only wanted the Amps the Subs for myself but the deal was very good.

The B&W's I hate to admit it were quite amazing, I had to test them out so I placed them to the side of my Kefs and balanced the centre on top of my TV (it's an upright centre). I put Toy Story 2 on in THX Mode on my amp and the speakers just disappered! Sound was from absolutely everywhere! My heart sank that they were probably better than my new Kefs for Movies. But then again, I expect Kef THX speakers would be too. Why are these THX monitors so expensive!?

I did consider keeping the B&W's for surround duties in my new big hall, but I just can't justify the expense right now. They're now on Ebay, but if anyone locally wants to hear them (out of curiosity, not to buy them) before the auction ends next weekend then PM me and I'll set them up again.

This is a clear choice between those to go for THX speakers and more versatile all-round performers.

I still maintain my track record on Kef purchases in my opinion.

As far as the 2.2's... Well, for the near future they're staying, but I can't swear they won't get replace by New refs at some point.

Back to the original topic of this thread... 207's! Wow! 205's Wow!

Mark.

9. Plump

Plump
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Mark,
    can you please describe the difference between 207 and 205 if you heard both (still had no chance to test 205).
    I was not so impressed with 203, actually not at all and 207 was the best I ever heard.

What electronics were used for the tests?

Cheers

10. Mark Ward

Mark Ward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Hi Plump
    Sorry, I can't, The 207's were set up and I've had a good listen (twice - benefits of living in Maidstone).

I had a long chat with the guy who was demoing them and he went through the specs with me and I came to the opinion that the 207's were no doubt the best possible performance available, but the 205 were (on specs.) not far behind and have a more achievable price tag.

My opinions on the 205's are based on talking to Kef about the the differences whilst listening to the 207's. They would have happily set them up for me but as I wasn't a serious purchaser right now I declined the offer.

The 203's don't look that impressive to me on paper, but I guess with a good sub the low end deficiencies aren't so important, but at these prices I want speakers that can handle a wide frequency range.

It's worth mentioning I only went down there to look around the speaker museum (am I sad or what?).

The 20X's will almost certainly feature in my new room, but right now I'm having a bit of an HT cash crisis. The wife seems to think that sorting out our bedroom, bathroom & other remaining building work should take a higher priority than yet another HT upgrade. Strange thinking I know, but this is what I have to live with! :rolleyes:

Mark.