1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

KEF Reference 203/5

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by TT9, Nov 2, 2003.

1. TT9

TT9

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Greetings,

Given that my processor/amp combinaton is approaching a retailing value of nearly £5k and my front speakers were a modest £500 s/h :blush: , I feel it is time to bit the bullet and upgrade to something more appropriate with that which is driving them !

I was thinking about auditioning the Kef 203 series and possibly the 205. Before going through the process, can anyone who ownes either or these speakers or had a chance to compare them with each other/ B&W Signatures etc., give me a first hand account on your experiences and impressions with them.

Amplification duties would be taken care of by a single Bryston 4B-SST which I already own. Would this amp be suitable to drive these speakers does anyone know ?

Of course I wouldn't think about investing in the region of 3k without a home audition but any initial opinions and experiences to prepare me for the dealers would be very greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Steve.

2. daninthemix

daninthemix

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Steve,

If I had to guess I'd say you'll get an almost even 50/50 split between those who prefer B&W Nautilus/Sigs and the Kef Refs. There are a number of people in both camps on these forums, so as you say a home demo is absolutely the only way to go.

FWIW I think the main difference is in the presentation - the Kefs are more up-front and 'vivid', the B&Ws more laid back. Nothing wrong with either approach really. I find the B&Ws boring to listen to, but many do not. And the Kef's can sound bright more easily if not partnered with appropriate kit.

Dan

3. sticker

sticker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Steve,
    I think Dan's comments have hit the nail on the head with both Kef and B&W.
    There are of course other speakers you should look at including PMC and Wilson Benesch which may be to your tastes also.
    Get a home demo to see what suits your tastes, room accoustucs and partnering equipment.

Regards
    John

4. Russellhead

Russellhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Steve,

you may also want to consider the new Kef XQ5's , i have recently purchased a set and ther are superb.

Regards,

Russell

5. GaryG

GaryG
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Steve

I heard the new KEF's at the Bristol show, I was curious to see how they compared to the older Ref 4's which I have. I liked what I heard but in all honesty they were not quite as good as these:

http://www.williamshart.com/seraph.htm

The Seas Millenium tweeter is unbelievable, I'm a big KEF fan but have to concede that there is better out there.

Sean Williams at WilliamsHart used to be the technical director of Wilmslow Audio and has about 25 years experience of building speakers. Try not to be put of my the 'kit' idea, he can supply them fully finished, well worth an audition, they have the same overall timbre as the KEF but extract more detail from the music.