Kef reference 203/2

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Jules, Jan 7, 2012.

1. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,116
    I used to own Kef Reference Model One, and have since gone through various cheaper speakers but I still wonder what it would be like to go back to Kef Reference.

I'm currently using Q700's and they're good. Not too pretty though and I know something more natural is possible.

I'm dismissing the R series on the basis of being rear ported throughout the range and because what I heard at the Manchester Show was a tad too clinical for me.

So, although they are ludicrously expensive, the reference range seam like the only possible upgrade path for me.

Are they really that much better than the Q's or the 'R's? Obviously I would audition first, but it would be quite a treck to the nearest reference dealer so would be interested to know what other people have thought before making a journey.

2. Rock Danger

Rock Danger
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,812
    No, there's some other options surely?

Yes, having listened to them several times now and taking aesthetics out of the equation, the Ref series are considerably better.

3. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,116
    I'm stuck on uni-Q and having tried traditional driver arrays I'm of the opinion that for my listening a separated woofer/tweeter doesn't provide the off axis consistency I require.

4. danny daniell

danny daniell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +171
    Hey Jules, yes the Ref's really are that much better than the Q's and the R's .....there really is no comparison, i'm going back to the reference series but this time it's going to be the 203/2 models as they really are an improvement over the first gen 203's that i used to own .....yes they are expensive but do sound fantastic and worth the xtra imo ....keep the cost down by buying second hand and in a satin finish i think you will be amazed at how good they are especially when underpinned by a quality sub, i used to run mine with a B&W 850.

5. hifix

hifix
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,421
    It will also come down to the accompanying amplifier. If the amplifier isn't up to the job of getting the best from the 203's, it may not be worth the outlay for them. This is where the R series comes in as they're a much easier load and therefore have a wider compatibility factor.

B stock is usually worth hunting around for as you basically get a new product but with some minor finish blemishes, or sometimes ex-show stock for a lot less.

6. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,116
    Denon AVC-A1HD should be up to the job though, right?

If only KEF hadn't designed the R series to be rear ported (I know there's good reason for it) I would be giving them a second listen.

7. hifix

hifix
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,421
    AVCA1HD will be fine - although one of our regulars found out last year that a good quality power amp will always win out in the end - he went for a Bryston 4Bsst2, although Cyrus Mono X300's work just as well. There's a number of happy A1/Reference users out there.