1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

KEF Reference 1-2s

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Matt F, Jan 24, 2002.

1. Matt F

Matt F

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I'm interested in aquiring a pair of these and was hoping to find them a fair bit below list price now that the new KEF Reference models have appeared.

I believe Musical Images are doing them at £1000 but has anyone seen them (ex-dem or brand new) anywhere else?

I know Nic Rhodes mentioned he'd seen a pair of black ex-dem 1-2s for £750 (these would be perfect) - can you remember where this was Nic?

Thanks,

Matt.

p.s. if I do end up buying a pair then watchout for some "as-new" M&K 750 THX (left, right and centre) on the "for sale" board!

2. BadAss

BadAss
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +182
    Whats up with the M&K 750's? Or is the difference in sound that big?

3. Matt F

Matt F

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    The M&K 750s, in my opinion, are outstanding for movies and pretty good with 2 channel music but "pretty good" just isn't enough for me anymore. It's down to imaging really, you don't get that really great stereo image that a good pair of hifi speakers can provide. This isn't a criticism of the 750s as they are designed to create a very wide soundstage and to work as a front three which they do quite brilliantly.

I appreciate that a great pair of hifi speakers such as the KEF 1-2's won't be as good as the M&Ks for movies but I guess what I'm after is - excellent in stereo, good/very good with movies.

At the end of the day there is always going to be a compromise in a dual role system - I remember a few years back when What HiFi tested, amongst others, the KEF THX package and the Celestion A package - the KEFs were fantastic for movies but didn't do too well with stereo material - the Celestions were great in stereo but the A1s "imaged too well" with movies and didn't work so well as a front three (along with the A4C).

I just reckon that the KEF 1-2s along with a 100C (I already use KEF TDM34DS as rears which should be a perfect tonal match) will be a good compromise with a bias towards music.

Matt.

4. RC

RC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think all the shops were discounting the old KEF reference series ahead of the new ones, and have been doing so for a few months now, in which case, I'd be fairly surprised if there are many new KEF 1.2's around now I'm afraid. Hope you find what you are looking for (and at the right price) ;)

5. Couch Potato

Couch Potato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Matt,

Audio T have got a pair of ex-dem Ref 1-2's, give them a call and make them an offer, they're currently at £1080 but they may accept lower.

The URL is here

Other than that I guess it's get a list of the KEF dealers from their website and call round

Good luck!

Steve

6. Lowrider

Lowrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If it is good for music, it is better for movies... ;)

7. Matt F

Matt F

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I popped into my dealers today and had a chat with him about the imaging on the M&K750s. When I admitted that I haven't calibrated them (and my sub/rears) with an SPL meter, he said that I really ought to do this before judging their imaging qualities.

So, I've just ordered a Radioshack analogue SPL meter (£25 from Cornwall Electronics including p&p) and I'll give it a go and keep you posted.

It will be great if this sorts it out - and what's the betting I've got the sub volume set too high. :rolleyes:

Matt.

8. BadAss

BadAss
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +182
    The subs probably the least important in my view. Sub levels or bass in general is not directionaly audible, and THX's 75db in my opinion is too low so your better setting this level by ear.

9. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    I haven't forgotten but need to check something first, will post monday.

10. Matt F

Matt F

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Well, my dealer seemed to reckon that although <80Hz is non directional, if you get the sub level wrong it can balls everything up.

By the way, if you've got a 7.1 (EX) Tag AV32R and a Rotel RMB1095, how do you power the extra rear channels?

11. BadAss

BadAss
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +182
    I dont, I still use plain 5.1. :( The Tag already had the hardware upgrade when I bought it)
    I recon it may cost around £1500 for Tag sofware cable. Tag software upgrade to 7.1, 2 channel amp and 2 speakers. I suppose I could get everything on the cheap but id rather wait and do it right. Plus it leaves some thing to look forward too, but hopefully for not too long.

12. Matt F

Matt F

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Well, the sound meter arrived today so I calibrated the speakers a couple of hours ago. What surprised me was that the left and right speakers had to be set to different dB settings to achieve 75dB on the meter - I presume this is because the left speaker has a sofa not all that far away from it (absorbing some of the output) whereas the right speaker doesn't.

Anyway, it must be said that it sounds a whole lot better (in stereo that is) than it did before - there is a much better stereo image right in the centre now - Coldplay/Parachutes on vinyl sounded very impressive.

Haven't had a chance to try out any movie soundtracks yet but, to be honest, it all sounded ace before the calibration anyway so any further improvements will just be a bonus.

Still, I wouldn't mind trying out the M&K S85s (left, right and centres) some time though! I don't know - I'm always looking to change/upgrade something - mind you, I don't think I'm the only one on this forum with these expensive tendencies! :D

Matt.