1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kef ref speakers advice needed

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by sticker, Jun 5, 2003.

1. sticker

sticker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm looking to upgrade my current set-up and was looking at the Kef reference range (new). My thoughts on a system where as follows;
    Kef 203 fronts
    Kef 204 centre
    Kef 201 rears
    Kef TDM34DS.

BUT the dealer I am going through has spoken to Kef and they have suggested that I should not use the 201's or the TDM's but 2 pairs of 206DS's and a 202 instead of the 204.

The inclusion of the 206's hugely blows my budget so the dealer has suggested 2 pairs of Q2ds.

Anyone got any thoughts on this suggestion of Kef's suggestion. I would particulary like the thoughts of current kef ref owners.

Regards
    John

2. Steve.EX

Steve.EX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    John

Here goes,
    Your dealer i would agree with re: the 202c it is a better match for the 201's/203, it has exactly the same driver compliment as the 203 (although less cubic litres) and 1 bass driver more than the 201.
    The 204 is a tremendous speaker but more suited to the 205/207.
    The 206's i have yet to here but are by any speakers standard horrendously expensive, especially for film only Di-Poles, given my undying love for the TDM34's i have not a single doubt in my mind that they are sensational. Beekeeper may have some experience of these, we certainly spoke about them some time ago.
    I use the 201's on the back, but are actually connected to side surround L/R output's to allow them to be used for SACD/DVD-A via the 6 channel input, the TDM's are connected to surround back but, as you will know you can specify (via Tag) which pair (side and/or back) for PL2/DD/DTS etc, it gets a bit complicated for EX/ES/THX2 where i have to physically change the inputs over but i have a switching arrangement for this and i listen to more SACD/watch T.V (PL2) than i do THX2/EX/ES so, to me it seem's a fair trade.
    I have listened to several Di/Tri polar designs and would say be sure that this is the sound you want, they are not everyones cup of tea, but for A.V i find them to be preferable to monopoles, (THX2 recommend di-pole side surrounds and mono-pole back surrounds).
    The TDM's are most relaxed about fitting in with front speakers of a different range/manufacturer and are so neutral and unimposing that you really will NOT be aware of their differing heritage, they are considered by some to be the entry level serious surround speaker, have been around for an age and were the personal speaker of choice of Gary Rydstrom as i recall. they are available 2nd hand from time to time, and on occasion are very hard to track down new.
    I would choose the TDM's personally over the Q2ds which are aimed more at the Q range of speakers.
    John, without malice may i say that these sort of speakers would possibly warrant an up-grade from your listed Sherwood 925, i am not at all sure how happy it would be driving them even.

The 203's are great speakers, i have first hand experience of them and would recommend them to anyone, however shop about for an ex-dem pair of 205's which i thought were considerably better than my 203's (the 205 ex-dem, i have seen for about 3500.00)
    You might also consider the BW 800 range which regardless are super as well as PMC and Wilson Benesch.
    The 202c is IMHO the very best non active center for 1000.00, it simply IS that good, living with this for a short while will bring out a real critic of centers in you.
    If Kef make anything well it is and has been for some time now center speakers.
    The 206's i have not heard, cannot afford, almost certainly would want.
    201's again a great speaker. worth every penny, the only hestation i would have is that if you are not going to investigate multi-channel music then at 2000.00 they are pretty expensive EX/ES speakers.
    The TDM34's love/loathe them? I am a lover of di-pole speaker and feel they are THE only real entry level option for the serious H/C. Not to expensive at 6-700.00 but really do dissappear, and are a quality design (good old uni-q again), i have no desire to replace them (with another pair of 201's/whatever).
    The 203/301/202c are relatively load friendly, but like most speakers are happiest (i feel) with lots of grunt and being played reasonably loud.
    The TDM's are present a stiffer load for an amp, but also like to "rough-it-up"
    Which ever of these speakers you chose, they are going to transfrom you listening experience, but i am not convinced about the Sherwood, even with the budget package (203/201/202c/TDM34 - identical to mine) you are looking at 6700.00 minus any discount could you not direct some of this to some serious amplification? i am of a mind that you will need it, you will also require a good sub as this package is not in any way IMHO capable of delivering the sort of lfe you require from todays dvd "biggies".

Regards

Steve.

3. Daneel

Daneel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    You can find ex-demo 205s here for £2999. They also have the old 4.2 for £2250, the 1.2 for £799 and a 200c for £499.

I spotted them while planning my next upgrade.......which if I'm lucky will be in about 3 years time.

4. sticker

sticker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Guy's,
    Thanks for your responses.

Steve I've yet to fully digest your reply but i'm going to give it a through read now. Many thanks for such an indepth response, just one quick comment form having scan read it, rest assured that I wont be driving these speakers from the sherwood, it will be from an Arcam P7 that I'm in the process of buying, i think the sherwood would fall over and die at the sight of the kefs.:laugh:

Interesting that you mention the PMC's, I curently have a pair of FB1's in my hifi setup and was considering using these by adding TB1's and LB1c's to it, but was so struck with what the kef's did with DVD-A and SACD that I wasn't sure that the PMC's could begin to give the same sought of insight and clarity.

I'll reply again once I've read your replies in depth.

Regards
    john

EDIT a chimpanzee could spell better than me:blush:

5. daninthemix

daninthemix

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I chose the Kef 201s + 202c for my front soundstage. I chose them over the B&W Sig 805s, Tannoy TD8s, Wilson Benesch Arcs, and Revel M20s (although the latter - like the Kef's, are superb value for money).

Due to space restrictions I use a pair of Q8s for my rears. I actually enquired with Kef as to whether they would release a similarly flat surround speaker for the reference range. 'Not likely' was the response, and they tried to push me in the direction of the 206DS, which are ludicrously big speakers - another pair of 201s would actually be more practical.

Anyways: good choice!

6. sticker

sticker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Daneel thanks for the link to the 205's, would love to have them but they are in black and would need them in a dark wood finish.

Thanks for your reply Dan

Your thoughts on the 206 size was exactly what i thought when I saw them...........they are bloody huge :eek:

7. rauer

rauer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Regarding the KEF advice,

I wanted to ask KEF what main speakers would match my eggs in the £2000 level. Accidentally I happened to post this question twice with different words but same content. Later the same day I got two answering emails with totally different suggestions for speakers - and they were even from the same KEF worker!

Do they just pick one randomly? ;)

BTW, what do you think would be the best match? I'd like use my eggs as the 5 in a 7.1.

8. rauer

rauer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Thanks, Ben. I didn't mean to be impolite, I was just wondering what to think of all this.

How about a pair of XQ5's or Reference 203's? (I realise they may cost a bit more)

Cheers.