1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

KEF RDM-2 or Tannoy S8c

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by sgmidf, Jul 7, 2002.

1. sgmidf

sgmidf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Greetings from the other side of the Atlantic Ocean! I'm setting up a basic system for mainly music with some HT. It's a family room and I'm limited to placing the speakers in a "sacred" (to my wife) wall unit. As a result, I need a bookshelf speaker that can be situated horizontally. The Tannoy Saturn 8C and the KEF RDM-2 have both been suggested. Unfortunately, neither is available locally to be auditioned. I was wondering if anyone had strong feelings regarding one speaker versus the other. I'm a fan of British speakers (I have a set of Celestion SL6S speakers that I use with a Velodyne sub) but they're tough to find "in these parts".

Thanks for any help. I very much enjoy the forum.

Steve

2. S H A D O

S H A D O

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,575
    Hi

Can´t comment on the Tannoys but the KEF RDM2´s are superb speakers, accurate sound, very good dynamics and very musical. Get some decent amplification behind them and they really sing.

Well worth considering.:)

3. MikeK

MikeK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You could also consider the B&W 600S3 LCR series (60 and 600 are the models now I think). Designed for use in any postion along the front of an AV setup (Left, Centre Right), either verically or horizontally - they may fit the bill. Not sure if they mean you to use them vertically in LR positions and horizontally in the C position though - so I'd check that out first, if you were interested.
    No idea on cost over there, and can't say how they'd perform up against the Kefs or Tannoys, but it may be another option for you.

Alternatively, you could look at a good quality small speaker and subwoofer combination (I won't say sub/sat as it sounds like you can accomodate slightly bigger speakers than what we generally accept the term "satellite speaker" to mean).
    A multitude of very capable speakers are available at less than a foot in height, some around 8-9inches - the ALR Jordan Entry S is about 9" has a very good reputation for a small and not too expensive compact speaker, and the Mission 780 is only around 11" tall. If siting in a wall unit though, you may well have to use a foam bung in the rear ports - but it's not really a problem if you are using a subwoofer for low bass duties.