Question Kef R8/Q50a’s as surrounds question.

Mack errol

Hello all,

I really need your help with this one...

After doing a lot of research into the Kef Ci4100ql to be used as sides and rears I’ve found they are designed for stud walls with plasterboard not Dot & Dab block walls.
I’ve framed out my back wall (see picture) to form a cabinet behind to achieve the recommended cabinet volume but can’t do this for the sides.

So i’m now looking for alternative sides and rears(don’t want to use bookshelf) or using the ci4100 as rears and something different (wall mounted) for the sides.

Has anyone used or have any advice on the R8 or Q50a as surround speakers?

I appreciate they would need to be installed higher than normal would this then make them unstuitable for use in an Atmos set up?

Thanks

Mack

Attachments

gibbsy

As surrounds in an Atmos set up their angled design would stop them being used as surrounds as these need to be placed at just above seated head height. This would ensure a distinct layer below that of the Atmos. You could use the T Series as surrounds perhaps if you wish to remain discreet. The new R Series doesn't yet have the replacement for the R100s which I use as surrounds and wall mounted.

Mack errol

As surrounds in an Atmos set up their angled design would stop them being used as surrounds as these need to be placed at just above seated head height.
Thank you so much for your reply, that is what I thought..

Maybe I need to be looking at bookshelf speakers mounted. Any chance you could share a picture of what yours look like on the mounts?

My fronts are R500/R200 I could always look at the Q150’s? Or see if Petertyson still have any stock of the R100 and keep the rears as the Ci4100ql..... I hate not knowing what is for the best when it comes to setting things up.

gibbsy

Thank you so much for your reply, that is what I thought..

Maybe I need to be looking at bookshelf speakers mounted. Any chance you could share a picture of what yours look like on the mounts?

My fronts are R500/R200 I could always look at the Q150’s? Or see if Petertyson still have any stock of the R100 and keep the rears as the Ci4100ql..... I hate not knowing what is for the best when it comes to setting things up.
The fittings are B-tech bt77.

Attachments

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Marantz SR7015 & NAD T 778 AVR + Mission LX2 MKII Speaker Reviews, AV & Film News and More
Top Bottom