Kef R7s are in.

Johnyt

Standard Member
Reaction score
My new Kef R7s (and R2C centre) are in and have had about 2 weeks of fairly heavy use to run in.

They replace a 10 year old pair of Monitor Audio RX6 which to be honest stand up quite well against the R7. The Kefs do have that wider detail, I'm not much of a word smith so it's hard for me to explain how it sounds. There's just more of the good stuff filling the room and it's very pleasing. One thing I can say for sure is the music now sounds like it's coming at me, not up at me like the RX6s did. The Kefs are much taller which I guess helps.

The only negative if I'm nit picking is the treble does seem a bit rolled off at the very high end. I've seen a couple of reviews mentioning this same thing. Maybe those RX6s I've been listening to for the last 10 years have been too treble heavy in the first place or maybe seeing those reviews influenced me to focus on this more.
The R7s are that much better in all other ways it really isn't a deal breaker any way.
They do need that little extra from the amp but comparing the tech specs this was obviously expected.

The picture is not great as my ROG II phone doesn't have a good camera particularly at low light. Since taking the picture they have been repositioned a few inches and toed in which made a positive difference.

The rest of the kit if your interested. Yamaha A-S1200 stereo amp driving the R7s, Onkyo TXNR807 AVR driving the R2C centre and MA RX rear speakers, Playstaion 3, Yamaha NP-S303 streamer, Yamaha CD-S1000 SACD Player, Technics 1210GR with MP200 cart, Ye olde Panasonic plasma TV & Nvidia Shield TV.

kefr7.jpg

Big old beasts with weight to match. Your centre would benefit from sitting proud of the front edge of the shelf by around 25mm.

Looking impressive :smashin:

You might try toeing them in a little (or a lot) to help with treble issues.

My new Kef R7s (and R2C centre) are in and have had about 2 weeks of fairly heavy use to run in.

They replace a 10 year old pair of Monitor Audio RX6 which to be honest stand up quite well against the R7. The Kefs do have that wider detail, I'm not much of a word smith so it's hard for me to explain how it sounds. There's just more of the good stuff filling the room and it's very pleasing. One thing I can say for sure is the music now sounds like it's coming at me, not up at me like the RX6s did. The Kefs are much taller which I guess helps.

The only negative if I'm nit picking is the treble does seem a bit rolled off at the very high end. I've seen a couple of reviews mentioning this same thing. Maybe those RX6s I've been listening to for the last 10 years have been too treble heavy in the first place or maybe seeing those reviews influenced me to focus on this more.
The R7s are that much better in all other ways it really isn't a deal breaker any way.
They do need that little extra from the amp but comparing the tech specs this was obviously expected.

The picture is not great as my ROG II phone doesn't have a good camera particularly at low light. Since taking the picture they have been repositioned a few inches and toed in which made a positive difference.

The rest of the kit if your interested. Yamaha A-S1200 stereo amp driving the R7s, Onkyo TXNR807 AVR driving the R2C centre and MA RX rear speakers, Playstaion 3, Yamaha NP-S303 streamer, Yamaha CD-S1000 SACD Player, Technics 1210GR with MP200 cart, Ye olde Panasonic plasma TV & Nvidia Shield TV.

kefr7.jpg
Having the R3’s with the same coaxial drivers I find that the treble is not overbearing which is great for long listening sessions. cant tell from the pictures but do you have them at least 1.5m apart? May help with the stereo image?
lovely looking set up by the way?

Big old beasts with weight to match. Your centre would benefit from sitting proud of the front edge of the shelf by around 25mm.
I angled my Proac Studio centre to aim the drive units to head height at the listening position, as it is on a stand under the projector screen. Seemed to improve the sound, but could also be my imagination.

Sounds like a plan I'll give that a go tonight.

Having the R3’s with the same coaxial drivers I find that the treble is not overbearing which is great for long listening sessions. cant tell from the pictures but do you have them at least 1.5m apart? May help with the stereo image?
lovely looking set up by the way?
They are 180cm apart at the moment the picture makes the room look more narrow than it is. We plan to knock through the wall on the left and move things about in the next year or so.

This is applicable to all speakers, but I happen to have R5’s - make sure they are perfectly inline with each other. I spent time last week with a measure and a calibrated microphone and found simply getting the 2 speakers directly inline, equal distance from the wall, and equal toe - picked up the top end response. They still kept that sweet top end the R’s have, but just helped elevate the response slightly and improved the sound stage. I was surprised in the change of treble response simply changing fore and aft positioning made.

linked below is the info on a fairly typical fabric dome tweeter. As can be seen from the frequency plot, the volume at high frequencies drops off with horizontal listening angle. So if your speakers are lacking treble with the speaker pointing straight out, angle then directly towards you.

H, what AV stand is that?

thanks.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom