Answered KEF R50, wall mount or on top of fronts ???

chaos123007

i have my KEF R50 currently on top of my fronts.

i am wondering if there will be a vast improvement if i ceiling mount them, has anybody tried both.

if ceiling mounting them is better do i put them up as high as possible, my ceiling height is only 240cm and seating position 3 metres away.

according to the kef instructions, there ment to be 9" from the ceiling, unless im reading wrong, there very vague.

any advice would be great, still learning about this so its all a bit new.

thanks

kahlua

i have my KEF R50 currently on top of my fronts.

i am wondering if there will be a vast improvement if i ceiling mount them, has anybody tried both.

if ceiling mounting them is better do i put them up as high as possible, my ceiling height is only 240cm and seating position 3 metres away.

according to the kef instructions, there ment to be 9" from the ceiling, unless im reading wrong, there very vague.

any advice would be great, still learning about this so its all a bit new.

thanks
most people would say in/on ceiling is better than up firing,but dont no how you would do this with the r50 as they dont have key hole slots for this,unlike the q50a which does,though more intended for mounting high on the wall where it meets the ceiling.

gibbsy

Trying to mount R50s on a wall may turn into a bit of a nightmare as they don't have keyhole fixings. The newer Q50a and the extremely expensive new R Series upfirers do have them.

kahlua

chaos123007

its definitely the R50 and i can assure you there is 2 keyhole in the back of them, maybe they added them in later speakers ?

kahlua

its definitely the R50 and i can assure you there is 2 keyhole in the back of them, maybe they added them in later speakers ?
really need to see a pic of these,as they never had key holes,look it up yourself,did you buy from private seller?maybe they added them.

kahlua

chaos123007

i will post a photo later i am not in at the moment, i just need the advice on them, they are advertised as being wall mounted

Last edited:

TimC

I also have r50a speakers and confirm they have 2 key hole fittings on the back. I’m interested to hear as mine are on top of my r500. They sound great with a good sound bubble.

kahlua

i will post a photo later i am not in at the moment, i just need the advice on them, they are advertised peter tyson as being wall mounted
cheers mate look forward to a pic,pt advertises them as sitting on top of free standing and wall mounted speakers.

kahlua

I also have r50a speakers and confirm they have 2 key hole fittings on the back. I’m interested to hear as mine are on top of my r500. They sound great with a good sound bubble.
well sounds like it must have been added on the last runs as reviews note no key hole as a minus.

kahlua

chaos123007

what is the position, as far as i can see the instructions on kef saying 9" from the ceiling, very vague instructions what is it based on, i am confused at what height for angles etc width apart also.

cheers

kahlua

what is the position, as far as i can see the instructions on kef saying 9" from the ceiling, very vague instructions what is it based on, i am confused at what height for angles etc width apart also.

cheers
i think as long as the drivers are pointing ruffly at the mlp you should be fine, someone to hold them against the wall so you can check the angle is right.take a look here,though mainly for on ceiling.Dolby Atmos Speaker Setup Guide

gibbsy

Well, I'll go to the foot of my stairs. I had the R50s when they first hit the dealers so the keyholes must be on the later runs. I'm somewhat glad that they didn't have those holes to hang on the wall then as I'm pretty sure my wife would have my head hanging on a spike next to them.:)

FWIW I'm more than happy with them on top of my R300s.

chaos123007

cheers guys im now thinking the models i have might be R50A they are impressive though itsd why im thinking about wall mounting them, interesting reading, i might put them right to ma ceiling its only 240cm ?

mossym

Distinguished Member
The original r50 defintiely do not have keyholes,mine have none, so if buying careful what you get

gibbsy

im thinking mines are the R50A versions cause they do have the keyholes
I think you have the Q50a, not the R50s, there has never been an 'a' version of these speakers. The easy way to tell is that the R50s have a silver driver and a gloss black body, the Q50s a black or greyish driver and dull black body. On the R50s the KEF logo is in silver and there is nothing printed on the driver. On the Q50a the KEF logo is in black and there is blue printing on the driver surround.

The new R8a is again finished in a high gloss, the KEF logo is silver and on the driver surround there is silver printing. These speakers would have set you back £800. You could pick up the outgoing R50s for £399 and the Q50a would cost £450, making the superior R50s something of a steal.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Philips OLED+935 impressions, Denon AVC110 Review, Film Reviews, News and More...

Latest News

Samsung updates and expands access to Samsung TV Plus
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Disney+ UK introduces GroupWatch co-viewing feature
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Netflix UK for November 2020
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Harman Kardon launches Citation Amp
  • By Andy Bassett