ahaydock

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Currently I have a standard 5.1 setup as below:

Fronts: Kef R500's
Centre: Kef R200c
Rears: Kef R100's
Sub: BK XLS200

I am looking at upgrading my AVR and will be Atmos so considering a pair of Kef R50's to sit on top of the R500's.

Do the R50's replace the R500's as Fronts, or work along side them? I did read the Guide to Atmos on here but am still not sure TBH.

Cheers.

The KEF R50 would need to be used as well as your R500's ideally on top of them or wall mounted above or within a small distance from theR500 here are a couple of pics of how I had mine and now how I have them
ImageUploadedByAVForums1451565321.913349.jpg
ImageUploadedByAVForums1451565368.990467.jpg

They are worth the money I know they are expensive I have them in a 7.4.2 configuration using kef all round and the sound is awesome
Hope this helps you if you need any advise please ask
Simon

Thanks Simon and yes they certainly are expensive - I was a little shocked at the price but hey ho.

Why did you move them if you don't mind me asking? I am not sure I would be able to do that so they would have to sit on my R500's like in your first photo.

What AVR do you have?

Would you say there was a noticeable difference when you added the R50's?

The reason I moved them was just buy trying out the best for sound performance with the bounce off the ceiling worked better there but I still got a good sound from when they were on top of the front speakers.
I'm using amp wise a denon 5200w which I had from when Atmos first come out it is truly an excellent amp and sound wise yes there is a noticeable difference the room sort of disappears A d also you will get sound positioned overhead,as per the KEF's they are expensive but you will get the timbre match with you other KEF's and they are a quality product which Dolby actually use in there small demo room and they actually do work,some people will tell you different but I have lived with Atmos for nearly 2 years now starting with 2 pairs of the cheap onkyos and now the KEF's

Thank you. If I go that route then I would get a pair of R50's to sit on the fronts for now, and possibly a pair to sit on the rears at some point - see how it goes I guess.

I cannot decide whether to replace my Pioneer LX83 AVR with the Marantz SR7010 or spend out on the Pioneer LX89. Or just save my cash :)

me personally it would be the Marantz but make sure it is upgradable to DTS X

me personally it would be the Marantz but make sure it is upgradable to DTS X

Thanks and I just wish there was some place close I could listen to them both but there isn't :(

Is DTS X their equivalent to Atmos?

just a shame your not closer as i would gladly demo Atmos for you

Thank you.

Looking at the prices I could get the Marantz SR7010 plus two sets of R50's for a 5.1.4 config cheaper than the Pioneer LX89 with a 5.1.2 config.

Tempting indeed...

Using a 5.1.2 set-up, I am guessing if you play a movie in DTS-MA for example, the Atmos speakers become redundant and it would simply switch to 5.1?

Only if you play it in dts-ma but if you add Dolby Surround up mixer on top you would get a up mix and this would use the R50's with some very good results

Ah OK interesting to know, thank you.

I've got the R50 too they are excellent.

I am running 4 R50's for atmos and can say they give a fantastic result when positioned correctly.
More expensive than the cheaper Onkyo ones but you get what you pay for.
Good luck! :)

Steve

I am running 4 R50's for atmos and can say they give a fantastic result when positioned correctly.
More expensive than the cheaper Onkyo ones but you get what you pay for.
Good luck! :)

Steve

Absolutely agree I've had both! I found that I needed to include the distance from the speakers to the ceiling and to my head in the settings to achieve the best result. What is your experience guys?

Ive heard a few people now say that you need to play around with positioning to get the best out of these, and other, Atmos modules.

Given that they are primarily designed to sit on top of the L/R speakers doesn't moving the position of these cause all sorts of other problems by moving your fronts?

No I don't think moving these around a bit does cause any problems if you look at the Dolby white paper/ manual for these there is a movement in were you put them with in so many feet,I have had the slightly angled forward for a while until I got hold of some test tones for the Atmos speakers and now have gone back to having them flat on the brackets firing up on only the angle of the KeF R50s
Also I have Austen the settings so the Atmos speakers are set at 150khz and this is much better

I mean... You've played around with different positions and opted for wall mounting. For those people with them sat on top of floorstanders, moving the floorstanders in itself causes other issues. I would hope that I could drop these on top if the front bookshelf/floorstanders and then not need to move them. Do you see what I mean?

I guess it's not an issue in a dedicated room either. But moving front speakers in a living room isn't always straight forward.

Yes I understand and I think as long as your in the the required area of the bounce you will get the results you are looking for. with adjusting the tilt of the speaker to get more in the area sometimes has worked for others I think with the KEF R50's you have a good dispersion but I had to really work the onkyo Atmos modules to get the required bounce and then once I had heard the diffrance the KEF s made there was no conparison

The biggest difference for me was when I discovered that I had to include the distance to the ceiling and to my ears in the AVR setup menu, then it got much more noticeable. I've also found that the Onkyo are OK for the rears but for the front the KEF are a must.

The biggest difference for me was when I discovered that I had to include the distance to the ceiling and to my ears in the AVR setup menu, then it got much more noticeable. I've also found that the Onkyo are OK for the rears but for the front the KEF are a must.
Must admit I've just left the distance setting at what Audyssey set for my Kefs. Might have a play to see if I can get any improvement.

My front R50's sit on top of my GX300's and I have them slightly angled which gives a better atmos experience.
I also increaesed the DB on the front and rear atmos speakers and now have a nice effect! :)

My front R50's sit on top of my GX300's and I have them slightly angled which gives a better atmos experience.
I also increaesed the DB on the front and rear atmos speakers and now have a nice effect! :)
I did significantly bump up the db level on the modules above the 75db my other speakers are set at using a sound meter. But made no real difference and 95% of the time they are anonymous.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom