Question Kef R400B barely know it's on

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Pumauk, Jul 14, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Pumauk

Pumauk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    So I've got an R400B paired with R500/R50/R200C and a Denon X4300H.

With the LFE crossover set at 120hz and the other cross overs at 60/100/80 respectively, the sub seems pretty muted.

Upon running audessey it complained the sub was turned up too loud, so I had to adjust the volume on the sub down before running through the auto setup.

This set the sub to something like -5db, and even despite changing this to -1db, it's still pretty unnoticeable (i.e. bassy but not shake the room ever).

Am I expecting to much, or is this a setup issue?

2. Gasp3621

Gasp3621

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +917
    So you have the subwoofers crossover knob at 140hz (=max) behind the sub? Also phase 0, although you can try 180 if that makes any difference with same material. Audussey deals with phase, but some cases if the subwoofer is placed oddly it might make difference. There is also EQ switch 0db, +6db, +12db if i remember correctly these will boost 40hz area. Something which you can try later on with movies!

I assume you have selected speaker size all SMALL from your receiver. I am not sure does it automatically put it Small if subwoofer is selected after Audussey run. Anyway your receiver should do the bass management.

The level is fine, it`s about right where you want it to be, so you have little headroom to run it hotter.

My guess is it`s placement issue. Either you sit in what some might say dead spot, center of room basically (length wise) where bass is weakest. It`s quite easy to test, play some bassy track and walk example behind couch / forward to see is there noticeable change does the bass get stronger. This might be more rare situation, but it has happened to some people.. Other option which is more likey is that your subwoofer is placed in weak spot.

Most manufacturers recommends to place the subwoofer in front corner first, the one without any openings near. This is often safe spot and should offer you maximum output from your sealed subwoofer. It should sound loudest there. Without any subwoofer eq it might be boomy, but in your case running XT32 should do the trick.

This is just a guess game and your room might be large open space (?) or you have heard earlier some one note wonder which sounds more bassy.. There is so many options, but i would first look that settings are correct, then play with the placement which is quite critical. Raising the level should give you noticeably more bass with right material and R400b in modest size room should give you fine performance. It ain`t a "real movie sub" for sure, but still it sounds odd as you said it sounds muted.

Reply from SVS Ed Mullen who has worked probably over 20years with subwoofers;

Keep us posted!