Bargain Kef R-Series Price Drops, Closeouts and General Bargains

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Speakers' started by meep, Aug 14, 2018.

1. meep

meep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +137
  2. Paul7777x

Paul7777x

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,179
    Have to say, they are magnificently moody looking speakers.

3. meep

meep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +137
  4. Cornish Dave

Cornish Dave

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    I guess I should have put my comments re the Peter Tyson sell off here not on the 2018 thread but had not spotted this. As meep has identified PT have the R300s for £700 and I e-mailed them asking which speaker stands they would recommend. One of their suggestions was a KEF stand which is £400 making the total cost of the R300s more than the R500s by £100. This seems illogical to me and even at original prices the R300s were only £100 less than the R500s. They also recommend stands made by Custom Design and there are many on their website varying in price but many of them take the price to at or around the R500. I have not yet heard either speaker but the R500s subject to audition look a better buy than the R300s. I guess the reason for this is the stands are not reduced. The other issue I need to consider is the one raised by Gibbsy with me that floorstanders can sound poor in a smaller room and I use my hi fi in my study which is 18ft long and around 9ft wide. I may yet stick to my Celestion Concept 20s who knows!

5. Cornish Dave

Cornish Dave

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    PT have come back to me and agreed that the R500 is a better buy in their sell off. They described the R300 as a speaker that had something but the R500 provides a better fuller performance.

6. gibbsy

gibbsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,399
    Quite honestly I don't think you'll go wrong with either R500 or 300s. 500s would have been my first choice had the room to do them justice. Unfortunately that was not the case and 300s were purchased and quite honestly I don't think I would trade them in for the 500s should a future planned house extension give me just that extra bit of space.

There have been quite a few reviewers who have placed the 300s higher than the 500s including the infamous Z. I honestly think my wife was disappointed when we went into AudioT to pick up the 300s as she really liked the look of the 500s and the look of consternation on her face when I placed the 300s on our cabinet just about said it all. Thankfully she has grown to like them.

There she is, bless her, sitting listening to Laura Marling through the 300s eagerly awaiting the kick off of the Ospreys versus the Cheetahs with some home made curry. Then it's Strictly Come Dancing, I just can't wait...……..to put my headphones on for a bit of Tull.

7. Secret Agent

Secret Agent
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Just pulled the trigger on a the R500s, R200C and R50s. Price fron Peter Tyson too good to resist particularly with the big hike in price for the incoming range. These will go with my recently purchased Denon X3400. I will add a stereo amp with HT bypass in at a later date. Possibly a Cyrus One. Also plan to source some Kef T201s to use as satellites tucked in behind the sofa to keep my wife happy(er).

Can anyone recommend a good subwoofer? The one I have from the Boston Acoustics Soundware XS will do in the short term but I’d like to use it in a different room with my PC setup.

8. mikeysthoughts

mikeysthoughts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +347
    I've been tempted by the price for the R50s, hope you enjoy them.

You can't go wrong with BK subwoofer to complement that setup. I've got an xxls400 and very happy with it indeed. Call Tom at BK and he will guide you to the best for your needs.

Alternatively XTZ 12.17 gets good reviews.

9. Cornish Dave

Cornish Dave

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    Took the gamble and have ordered a pair of K500s in walnut, fingers crossed they will be OK in my study. No doubt I will find out on tuesday, now all I have to do is tell er indoors!

10. Cornish Dave

Cornish Dave

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    Well they arrived today and the DPD guy said these are heavy. He even carried them into my study for me! I have not had floorstanders in many years since a pair of Castle Severns and he was right they are heavy. The Severns were lightweights compared to these. Time I got them out of the boxes and fitted the spikes etc I was hot! I put the boxes in the garage and they were nearly as heavy as the speakers! If you say anything about KEF they know how to securely package their products.

Have left them running for a few hours, I assume speakers still need some run in time? Anybody know how long before they will be at peak performance? Initially you can obviously hear the extra base over the Concept 20's which I guess was to be expected. I am lost with some of the expressions of sound on here in my words they sound much more rounded and smooth. RRP for the Concepts was £350 and these were £1500 although I paid £1000 of course. I can say however that I am now sure that the Concepts at that price are superb even more so now that they are cheaper. If that is your budget I wholly recommend the Concepts.

One question it appears that my AS1100 amplifier is warmer driving these is this to be expected, I guess the Concepts would be less of a workload for it. Well time to try a bit of different music but so far so good!

PS Wife hates them - "big tall ugly things", good job they are in my study!

11. Cameron583

Cameron583

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +500
    My girlfriend thinks the woofer on the 685 S2s look like eyes :D

12. Cornish Dave

Cornish Dave

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    Peter Tyson's e mail telling me about their sale arrived today! How does the sell off of old models work does one dealer get preference? The local store to me is advertising the sale on my facebook page. Surely PT does not hold stock levels of dozens of speakers and they seem to be the ones majoring on the sale. They presumably also got agreement to sell them online prior to this you had to visit one of their stores much like all other dealers.

13. gibbsy

gibbsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,399
    I thought my R300s sounded great from the get go. More detail and depth of bass from the R100s that they replaced and that's what I initially noticed. The biggest difference I noticed was when I stopped driving them with the Denon receiver and connected them to the Rega stereo amp. Then I truly knew what I had been missing which was down to the amp. I just kept the volume down a little for the first few hours.

My wife was disappointed when I picked up the 300s instead of the 500s as she thought they looked really nice.

14. meep

meep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +137