Kef R series or PMC?

nikophonics

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all
Finaly decided to take the plunge, and after ten years of much loved use, made the decision to change my monitor audio silvers (5.1 set up) For either the new Kef R series or the equivilent from PMC.
Simple question guys and gals! In your hands on experience what would be the best way to get shot of nearly three grand? Am keeping my MA sub for now, so as to be able to afford the five new ones!
Just keen to hear your opinions on these two brands, am struggling here!!
Many thanks.

Which speakers in the series are you looking at getting. The PMC's are a bit more expensive than the R's.

I've listened to both brands on a few occasions but it depends which speakers your thinking of?

Davidf may be able to give the best reply.

Okay then. Put another way!
Which in your opinions is the better make??
Just something i would like to hear before final decision.
Thanks all.

Thanks arcam boy. Not a particular model, or what driven by, which cables etc. Just a subjective view(opinion) In there price class, which would gain the crown.
Cheers

I would say PMC would be the better speaker over the Kefs in general.

However with all due respect your post isn't the best! Are we talking stand mounts, floor standers?

The Kef r100's are £599

The PMC twenty.21 is £1375

So you'd really like to think the PMC's even at the lowest end would be better at twice the price. The PMC's are more expensive through the range.

You're best off going for a listen for yourself and deciding which one you like and also deciding what speakers you actually want i.e floorstands up front with a large centre and two stand mount rears or 4 stand mounts and a small centre!

People saying KEF / PMC isn't going to help you achieve anything its like me starting a thread of Apple vs Windows. :facepalm:

So i cant quite make my mind up arcam boy. You recommended Kef r,s.And previous reply are saying that PMC are the better speaker overall. Seems this is a bit pointless also, with all due respect.
Have listened to all in question and a few more besides.
It is a lot of money to spend, and i still have niggles. Cant try either at home due to logistical reasons. Just want to be sure!
Any how who are you to decide whats pointless and what ive decided?
Just wanted some friendly advice.
Thanks for taking the time to reply though.

I'm saying it's pointless when you've already quite clearly said the pmc's blow the kefs out the water so what's the point of asking what's better when you already seem to know.

Ask a question I'll be happy to help but not one you've already answered!!!

Both models have quite a different sound, and concentrate on different areas. The KEF's have a very potent bass, which reaches very deep for the cabinet size. The PMC's 'appear' much lighter in this area, and will appeal more to those who are going to use them closer to walls or already have a bass heavy system. This is probably the biggest difference between the two.

Midrange and treble initially seem more open on the PMC's, and is more 'energetic and lively'. In comparison, the KEF's are more laid back, and seem a little more veiled until you listen for a short while and become accustomed to them.

As I said in the other thread, the R Series and the Twenty series currently represent the leading class of loudspeakers at this price point, and you can't go wrong with either of them. An audition is a must though, as they're quite different in their tonal balance.

you really need to go and listen to them - I auditioned the kef r500, r700 and some PMC speakers in the same price range (I don't recall what model). As far as my listening preferences went, it was KEF's all the way a they reproduced bass in more depth and that's what I was looking for. I got the R700's and they are just great for my listening preferences and music preferences.

How is the experiment going GT? how well do they go with a class set of cans like the R series?

actually the Q35.2 are fine as surrounds, (far better than the previous surrounds i had) but their positioning means they are a bit too close to the listening seats. To be honest, we don't watch a huge number of movies, so two channel is more important, so as a mid-term solution I am sticking with them like this. A subwoofer will be the next purchase.

Thank you so much for the further advice. Have listened to all these brands at a dealers, but they will sound very much different in my cinema room!
To audition both PMC and KEF at the same dealers, i had to travel over 165 miles. To home audition would be impossible! I found the bass much better in the Kefs, but my new speakers will be quite close to the walls. I found the PMC more articulate and overall the much better choice. Hence the stupid reference to blowing out of the water.
So i think i have returned to my original descision, its PMC.
Thanks to all for your valuable input.Plunge time now!!

Thank you so much for the further advice. Have listened to all these brands at a dealers, but they will sound very much different in my cinema room!
To audition both PMC and KEF at the same dealers, i had to travel over 165 miles. To home audition would be impossible! I found the bass much better in the Kefs, but my new speakers will be quite close to the walls. I found the PMC more articulate and overall the much better choice. Hence the stupid reference to blowing out of the water.
So i think i have returned to my original descision, its PMC.
Thanks to all for your valuable input.Plunge time now!!
Out of intereste, which of the PMC models will you be going for then?

Am thinking, OB1i fronts,CB6i centre,TB2i rears. Just need to sort my finances out first!
Cheers

Just to detract from confusion!
Am considering spending much more on the PMC,s than i wanted to spend. KEF obviously the much cheaper brand.
But not wanting to get bogged down in this continual upgrade path! Buy what i really want now. Done with for the next twenty years!
Small matter of two grand extra to find now.

nikophonics said:
Am thinking, OB1i fronts,CB6i centre,TB2i rears. Just need to sort my finances out first!
Cheers

Damn good combo of speakers there :)

Cheers

Will be , if i can raise the extra funds!!
And apease the other half?
Its a lot of money for a few boxes, thats only purpose in life is to make some sounds! But if i can get it together, WHAT a lot of sound. Cant wait!!!!
Cheers.

In fact i am like a little kid, waiting for christmas day to come! Its been a long hard slog getting to this point!
Thats why i post at silly o clock, and ask daft questions.
But mind made up now. Where are you santa claus?
Cheers.

nikophonics said:
In fact i am like a little kid, waiting for christmas day to come! Its been a long hard slog getting to this point!
Thats why i post at silly o clock, and ask daft questions.
But mind made up now. Where are you santa claus?
Cheers.

Next you need the Bryston's to power them.....

Cheers

Its a lot of money for a few boxes, thats only purpose in life is to make some sounds! But if i can get it together, WHAT a lot of sound. Cant wait!!!!
Cheers.

You say that but look how much money some people spend on trophy wives.

And let’s face it, that is really for a few sounds too and only has the one box.

Post removed

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom