Kef R series issue

ashenfie

Audussey defaults the target curve to Reference which cuts high frequencies some (Flat target curve doesn´t) and there is also the BBC dip which you can disable with the app (midrange compensation to Off). If you got the app then you can limit the correction to around 300hz which is recommended (MultEQ Filter frequency range). Listen from this clip 23:07 about 7-10min forward the guy shows you where the things can be changed with the app, should be easy and the results are worth the price. It won´t do any correction higher up, you will hear the speakers and room. It will correct only the problem range room modes for speakers and subwoofer! Both movie and music should sound better when you have optimized the app.

If you don`t have the app set your receiver for 2ch stereo mode, go to Denon menu and under XT32 menu you can find the Reference, Flat and there is also ByPass for L/R which you can try. This keeps the correction for subwoofer, but does not apply any correction for main speakers. Also check do you have Audussey Dynamic EQ or Dynamic Volume enabled. See below link for explanation for each:

But keep in mind that any amp can´t help you if you have large speakers tucked too close to walls/corners and possibly your listening position is also against rear wall, so you get lot of bass boost which can easily muddy the mids and highs..
I think many have noted the Kef guide for the R7 holds true, I have the bungs in and that tames the bass, but you still need to be away from the back wall and a reason distance part.

I have used the Kef 700 with a Denon 4500 and it worked ok, with XT32 I need the EQ app as the Mid seamed hollowed out. I suspect the OP issue related far to much bass rather the lack of top end and I personally from are pictures considering maybe the R3s

Fimbo

Novice Member
Audussey defaults the target curve to Reference which cuts high frequencies some (Flat target curve doesn´t) and there is also the BBC dip which you can disable with the app (midrange compensation to Off). If you got the app then you can limit the correction to around 300hz which is recommended (MultEQ Filter frequency range). Listen from this clip 23:07 about 7-10min forward the guy shows you where the things can be changed with the app, should be easy and the results are worth the price. It won´t do any correction higher up, you will hear the speakers and room. It will correct only the problem range room modes for speakers and subwoofer! Both movie and music should sound better when you have optimized the app.

If you don`t have the app set your receiver for 2ch stereo mode, go to Denon menu and under XT32 menu you can find the Reference, Flat and there is also ByPass for L/R which you can try. This keeps the correction for subwoofer, but does not apply any correction for main speakers. Also check do you have Audussey Dynamic EQ or Dynamic Volume enabled. See below link for explanation for each:

But keep in mind that any amp can´t help you if you have large speakers tucked too close to walls/corners and possibly your listening position is also against rear wall, so you get lot of bass boost which can easily muddy the mids and highs..
Thank you so much for your reply.😉
I have the app and was disappointed with results, will try attach them at end of post.
It's the high end clarity that I think is missing, bass is not a problem and sounds good.
Am I setting bar too high?🤔
Do you think a better matched 2 channel amp would be better?
Technics and yamaha looks nice for £2000 but I've only just spent £2200 on av/cd.
Appreciate any input ideas?
Anybody else have kef r7?
Include fronts and others incase something seen?

Attachments

• 20211013_181108.jpg
    20211013_181108.jpg
    174.9 KB · Views: 12
  • 20211013_181019.jpg
    20211013_181019.jpg
    162.8 KB · Views: 13
  • 20211013_181059.jpg
    20211013_181059.jpg
    189.8 KB · Views: 10
  • 20211013_181136.jpg
    20211013_181136.jpg
    176.4 KB · Views: 10
  • 20211013_181129.jpg
    20211013_181129.jpg
    180.1 KB · Views: 10
  • 20211013_181122.jpg
    20211013_181122.jpg
    198.1 KB · Views: 10

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Thank you so much for your reply.😉
I have the app and was disappointed with results, will try attach them at end of post.
It's the high end clarity that I think is missing, bass is not a problem and sounds good.
Am I setting bar too high?🤔
Do you think a better matched 2 channel amp would be better?
Technics and yamaha looks nice for £2000 but I've only just spent £2200 on av/cd.
Appreciate any input ideas?
Anybody else have kef r7?
Include fronts and others incase something seen?

If you use the Pure Direct mode on Denon then there is nothing "on" at the background. I don´t believe new amp can suddenly bring the clarity back. It must be some other issue. Not sure did you even heard the Kef R7 before you bought them that they had more clarity with the high frequencies in the shop or is it something you just now feel they are missing? This is why it´s so important to listen before buying..

Can you post picture of how your speakers are placed and couch? Also i assume you have tighten the dual binding posts as you likely not using bi-wiring.

Fimbo

Novice Member
If you use the Pure Direct mode on Denon then there is nothing "on" at the background. I don´t believe new amp can suddenly bring the clarity back. It must be some other issue. Not sure did you even heard the Kef R7 before you bought them that they had more clarity with the high frequencies in the shop or is it something you just now feel they are missing? This is why it´s so important to listen before buying..

Can you post picture of how your speakers are placed and couch? Also i assume you have tighten the dual binding posts as you likely not using bi-wiring.
Thank you for your patience.
I tested with denon 4700h and speakers in showroom before I brought them.
I bit the bullet and used parametric EQ not Audussey.
Wow. What a difference.
My clarity is back and sounds like I expected it to so it is not the speakers.
Realised when source is right there good however I am thinking that the speakers are booming over the treble some.
Going to try moving speakers away/towards wall to see difference when I get help (emphysema/bronchiectasis).
I wonder about how effective wall panel treatment behind speakers would be?

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Thank you for your patience.
I tested with denon 4700h and speakers in showroom before I brought them.
I bit the bullet and used parametric EQ not Audussey.
Wow. What a difference.
My clarity is back and sounds like I expected it to so it is not the speakers.
Realised when source is right there good however I am thinking that the speakers are booming over the treble some.
Going to try moving speakers away/towards wall to see difference when I get help (emphysema/bronchiectasis).
I wonder about how effective wall panel treatment behind speakers would be?

I doubt it`s much help for bass frequencies, unless some big thick ones. If you have the Audussey app you could still play around with it. It should eq the boominess out. Turn midrange compensation Off and limit the correction to 300hz, then you should have the familiar Kef sound and Audussey should clean and tighten the bass region. If you move speakers run Audussey through app again.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES '22 TV Announcement Round-up, Plus, Most Anticipated Movies of 2022 and More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom